Mercedes Benz purchase in Bangkok - Where are they manufactured?

wailee

Investors are generally not Fools.The Bug 57SC wasn't built in Thailand by the same Robots that sling together Mid Range Benzes and Nissan Teenas. Theres a bit of envy in every Petrol Head.For me its the Nissan Top end Sports.But id need a crane to pull me out.cheesy.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Civic feels alive, the Benz dash and seats are crap by comparison.

Have you seen the interior of the latest C-class? laugh.png

Yes and i've seen the Price,take a peek in a New Jag or Range Rover if you want Quality. Hard Benz Saloon seats are made from old cement benches from Mom n Pops,but trimmed in Leather.IMHO I rate the Top Sallons and the Sports, but mine was no better than a Teena,Accord, etc , and should be priced as such.As someone mentioned earlier, they cant sell much above a Honda price back in the World.thumbsup.gif

Have you seen the interior of the latest C-class? laugh.png

Yes and i've seen the Price,take a peek in a New Jag or Range Rover if you want Quality. Hard Benz Saloon seats are made from old cement benches from Mom n Pops,but trimmed in Leather.IMHO I rate the Top Sallons and the Sports, but mine was no better than a Teena,Accord, etc , and should be priced as such.As someone mentioned earlier, they cant sell much above a Honda price back in the World.thumbsup.gif

i prefer old Jaguars. mine will soon celebrate his 44th birthday smile.png

there is a bit of truth as far as the "old cement benches" are concerned. but they are not as hard as they used to be 20 years ago. last not least but an important feature when leather... the seats are nowadays airconditioned. perhaps not in all models, but in ours they are.

Given all circumstances I cannot justify buying an imported car. We are now on the second Fortuner amnd love it. Back home I would go for a Porsche Cayenne hybrid, but here simply too expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Given all circumstances I cannot justify buying an imported car. We are now on the second Fortuner amnd love it. Back home I would go for a Porsche Cayenne hybrid, but here simply too expensive.

the official vehicle of the mia farang. let all the villagers know who is boss.

Edited by farang000999

Have you seen the interior of the latest C-class? Posted Image
Yes and i've seen the Price,take a peek in a New Jag or Range Rover if you want Quality. Hard Benz Saloon seats are made from old cement benches from Mom n Pops,but trimmed in Leather.IMHO I rate the Top Sallons and the Sports, but mine was no better than a Teena,Accord, etc , and should be priced as such.As someone mentioned earlier, they cant sell much above a Honda price back in the World.Posted Image

The pleasure of a bloke in a Japanese cardboard box trying to upstage an overpriced European vehicle on and off the road is just priceless though. :)

the official vehicle of the mia farang. let all the villagers know who is boss.

I can only hope you're referring to the 'tuna and not the cayenne ;)

As for the Cayenne being 'simply too expensive' at 6.5M Baht, I guess that depends on where you come from... Americans pay around $100K once properly spec'd up (MSRP=$70K), Brits pay around £85K (MSRP=£62K), and Aussies pay around $200K (MSRP=$165K) - so unless you sing the star spangled banner while having a shower, it's not that bad here....

• Like 1

Welcome to a fool's car market .

Absolutely a true word spoken there.

yawwnnnn.... coffee1.gif

add a wee bit envy that there are successful fools who made enough money to afford a car for 5, 10, 25 millions or even more.

three years ago an old car built in 1936, a Bugatti 57SC was bought at an auction for 29.7 million US-Dollars. what kind of fool shelled out that kind of money? huh.png

Even if I can afford to buy cars at these inflated prices, I won't because it makes no money sense.

• Like 1

yawwnnnn.... coffee1.gif

add a wee bit envy that there are successful fools who made enough money to afford a car for 5, 10, 25 millions or even more.

three years ago an old car built in 1936, a Bugatti 57SC was bought at an auction for 29.7 million US-Dollars. what kind of fool shelled out that kind of money? huh.png

Even if I can afford to buy cars at these inflated prices, I won't because it makes no money sense.

Its all relative.. There's not doubt value for money drops after the 1.5M or so mark, so if you're Scottish your ceiling on cars in TH is very clearly defined, but for everyone else it all depends on how much the extra millions actually impact your pocket ;)

• Like 2

The Lexus Cardboard Box SUV, stands up well to the BMW copy of a Tuna,in World Markets.Same Robot System.Posted Image .

Yeah, but weren't you complaining about the price. Posted Image
NO.

....nor can i justify that the same quality from Benz costs 2.7 Mill Bht more....

Mr Payboy,perhaps my English isnt the Best, Ive been using S Clas Benzes made here,but included in my old Job.My point is directed to Quality more than Price.When my Family have bought Accoredas,Teenas and Camery, made nearby,i cant see that the Benz Quality is worth 3 Teena more,thats all im saying,im not anti Benz,far from it.But if the Company had given me a choisi i would have gone for the 5 Series B.M.thumbsup.gif

yawwnnnn.... coffee1.gif

it is quite difficult to draw a line and it depends on an individual's perspective where "money sense" stops and "no money sense" starts.

i bought a car at which i look (not drive) several times each and every day. as mentioned above that car was built in 1969 and will soon celebrate its 44th birthday. that car is used exclusively on a sunday morning a couple of hours for an outing with my dogs which love the car as much as i do. did i mention that i paid for this car three times the value of an Accord or a Teana or a Camry, six Honda Civics or twelve Nissan March?

i fully agree that this can't be called money sense. but money sense is not a part in all equations and does not apply to all situations.

• Like 1

Thank You Naam, thats what i was trying to say. One other Point i've read. The BMW Series 4 will include a watered down version for Thailand. What's going on, i don't want a watered down anything, no matter where it's built, or the cost.thumbsup.gif .

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure the CLA and the A class are not currently built in Thailand, they may be gearing up to do so in the near future (just as BMW are now going to be building Mini Countrymans here soon) but as of now, the batch coming in year end will be made overseas and imported.

The styling and way they look is a generation forward of the current C class, but I strongly recommend test driving, I could not live with the jerky dual clutch of the A class it would drive me crazy. CLA looks very nice though, bear in mind it's a FWD so might not be quite as good for drifting as a C250 :-)

For BMW they are importing presently MINI, coupes, performance models and the 1 series - again eventually it is possible all of these might be made here, but currently AFAIK they are not.

The C180 2 door coupe for around 2.99m I am not entirely sure, but am guessing that it is still an import; probably the next generation C class will be built here, but from what I understand it is built in CKD form (complete knock down) meaning it comes in a palette of pieces and is assembled here, without the engine etc being made from scratch here. however, this is beyond my knowledge to say for sure. The C180 is imported as a CBU (completely built up unit) - this all has an implication on duty and also depreciation (as some Thai buyers don't like buying small quantity cars on the basis that servicing them can run into issues with parts stock outs etc).

Edited by steveromagnino
  • Like 1

You ask too many Questions. Thais that can afford them hace no idea,and couldnt care less.Wifes Girlfriend , and i Quote at Service Reception.Im here for the First Sevice. Yes Madame what and where is it.?. A Little Blue one,in the Car Park. Service bloke said to me thats a nomall reply here.whistling.gif

Bmw can't manufacture here as the quality of materials simply isn't available. Thus the parts are shipped here and the models assembled, in the process missing the tax breaks Thailand offers for locally manufactured models. The costs are then passed on to the consumer.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bmw can't manufacture here as the quality of materials simply isn't available. Thus the parts are shipped here and the models assembled, in the process missing the tax breaks Thailand offers for locally manufactured models. The costs are then passed on to the consumer.

Eh?

Then how do Thai made BMW's get out to other ASEAN countries duty-free?

Cars must be assembled with at least 40% ASEAN sourced parts for them to be duty-free under the ASEAN FTA.

• Like 1

Why would BMW be different with Mercedes Benz ?

recently i have purchased C class C200, they do not provide test drive in Thailand.

In Aus, you can drive as far as you can smile.png

Actually, they do provide in most dealers, but there is sometimes a restriction on it and usually requires to prebook the test drive. Also requires that the dealer has a test drive car of that model (or equivalent) which is sometimes not the case.

If you call, and make an appointment, then usually a test drive is possible but if you just bowl up and expect to test drive, it is unlikely unless you bowl up in a similar sort of specced car - cuts down looky loos.

I've test driven Volvos, Benz, BMW, Audi, MINI, Lexus, VW in the last 24 months - all no issue with a test drive in some cases bowling up in other cases making an appointment. Benz have test drived just bowling up as well as needing an appointment; the A class I had to wait 3 months to test drive, pleased I did, on paper it looked great, in fact it was not really my cup of tea at all thanks to a very poor gear box - this also (along with incredibly poor service) pushed me away from the CLA also.

My parents actually spent a day test driving and did a bunch of errands overseas, went out for lunch, the whole 9 yards. Not sure that this would be ok in Thailand, I suspect not!!! Usually a test drive the dealer is in the car, and offers helpful advice, or in my case, hanging on for dear life as I did some 4 wheel drifts.

Edited by steveromagnino
  • Like 1

I am sure the CLA and the A class are not currently built in Thailand, they may be gearing up to do so in the near future (just as BMW are now going to be building Mini Countrymans here soon) but as of now, the batch coming in year end will be made overseas and imported.

The styling and way they look is a generation forward of the current C class, but I strongly recommend test driving, I could not live with the jerky dual clutch of the A class it would drive me crazy. CLA looks very nice though, bear in mind it's a FWD so might not be quite as good for drifting as a C250 :-)

For BMW they are importing presently MINI, coupes, performance models and the 1 series - again eventually it is possible all of these might be made here, but currently AFAIK they are not.

The C180 2 door coupe for around 2.99m I am not entirely sure, but am guessing that it is still an import; probably the next generation C class will be built here, but from what I understand it is built in CKD form (complete knock down) meaning it comes in a palette of pieces and is assembled here, without the engine etc being made from scratch here. however, this is beyond my knowledge to say for sure. The C180 is imported as a CBU (completely built up unit) - this all has an implication on duty and also depreciation (as some Thai buyers don't like buying small quantity cars on the basis that servicing them can run into issues with parts stock outs etc).

Sorry, but what is the problem with dual clutch and FWD cars ?

Thank you.

I believe you need to examine at the model level. Not all models are made in Thailand

Thanks. I have checked on Thonburi Group's web site. The company indicates that it manufactures C-Class Benz, which is the model in which I'm interested.

They do not appear to manufacture the A-Class, which is the model I originally went to see. This is perhaps corroborated by the dealer rep. at Benz Rama IV, who said that the A-Class awaiting its customer to collect, had been ordered-in from Germany.

However, I still can't reconcile the figures. The car is 1mb above the price of a basic Toyota Camry. It is made in Thailand, the same as the Camry and so therefore one might assume the percentage of tax would be the same.

Looking at the Benz web site for other countries - the C-Class is just price a little more than a normal family saloon. For example, the equivalent of 1,222,000 THB.

So what is going on with Benz here, if the taxes are the same percentage as (say) Toyotas? Why is the car nearly double the price? Is it price-gouging/profiteering?

No it's charging what the market will bear...

You're buying a posh car - expect to pay a posh price...

Sorry, but what is the problem with dual clutch and FWD cars ?

Thank you.

No problem with either dual clutch or FWD cars.

I do have a major issue with the very poor gear shifting ability of the dual clutch system in the A class benz I test drove, which was just awful. VW have a much, much better system, the system in the Benz would drive anyone crazy, as would a car with the tiptronic type auto systems used in cars like Mini Cooper S.

If someone was wanting to go drifting their car, then a RWD is needed, not a FWD (this is said a little in jest, as not so many people drift low end Benzes) so if purchasing to drift, then perhaps a CLA would not be the ideal choice unless it is the 4WD variant.