Sinsod from a poor man

denmyos

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I married my tg from isaan I paid 100,000 baht sinsod and for food and drinks about 30,000 baht and I never Bought any gold,actually my wife helped pay for it because she was already living with me in Australia and working,I'm 34 and she is 32

• Like 2

Sorry to say but sounds like the start of trouble to me. Sinsod, big wedding that is high cost, her setting up a business to support both of you,etc. At best you might end up with her having full control over you, at worst well lets not think about that. I would give this a real good think before diving in.

who would want their daughter marrying into debt and poverty?

I imagine that many Thais would if it means they are publically given a suitcase of cash and gold in front of everyone.

At the moment we are doing a long distance relationship.

Have you met this gf or is this a online relationship?

Yes smile.png

We have spend time together in my country and in thailand.

Could never get engage with one i have never met.

So it must be real love !

she saw you are not rich as all the other farangs are and she did not run away !

remember u need a lot of money to live in thailand ,a lot !

If paying for the mariage is allready difficult,you better forget the whole idea ,stay where you are and take care of your

children (if you are able to?),dont chase dreams that are too high for you.

Be happy with what you have ,or be stubborn and dive in the deepest shitpile you can ever imagine .

Sounds scary ,but it is .

\hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 2

Don't listen to all the doom and gloom sayers on this forum, they try to put down everyone.

My experience(married twice to Thai girls) is that the Thai's don't really have concept of engagement as we do in the west.

Buy her a simple but not expensive necklace and amulet.

The Sinsod is only "paid" when you have the buddhist ceremony usually at her house.

You should have time to save a bit more if you are not having the ceremony right away.

As suggested many often borrow cash to show for the Sinsod and then it is given back by the parents in law, mine did.

Buy cheap thai whisky for the party, after a while everyone forgets what they are drinking.

Good luck and have a happy life together

• Like 2

And yup, what is the rush to get married? :huh:

I've always told my GF's that I will only consider getting married after 5 years of living together. My wive actually cut that short as we were living together for 4 years before we decided to.

BTW, the longer you are here, the more Alien the society and culture gets as you begin to understand more and more.

Go slowly... very slowly, trust me, that is sage advise to a 'poor man' thinking of selling his things to pay for Sinsod. ;)

I never mention marriage, i mention engagement and sinsod.

Marriage should come if we are both comfortable being engage and we both are wiling to move on and get married.

Thus meaning in a few years.

Let me get this right. You are going to pay sin sod to a girl that you are wanting to get engaged to. You pay sinsod to the girl when you marry her, not for engagements.

Ok so you pay the sin sod and get engaged, her and her family piss up the the sin sod money and have non left. You then have no money and no wife. <deleted>?

• Like 1

Ah the macho brigade.....we are in charge not them! In the last 200 years or so things have changed...slightly but they have changed. Believe it or not we are not to beat people anymore, Yes I know hard for many of you to believe. And, hold on I am only going to give one more example, do not want to get everybody in a big tizzy, marriages are no longer 50/50, that's right. Sometimes one of the partners supplies a bit more maybe a 60/40 split. AND sometimes it is the female partner.........f&*k off I hear you saying".....I am the man, I am the boss, grow some humhums Richard!

Bah.......OP I think this is a send up but it is okay as long as you are honest with the girlfriend. Do not lead her on.....and I don.t mean sitting down and having a chat. My wife was told at the beginning I had/have no money (i work full time and earn a good pay cheque) but am not sitting on a couple of million baht(couple 100,000 but not millions). Told the family the same thing, answer "no problem". (ps - my wife is sitting on the millions and land)

To all the doom and gloom guys, I am sorry you have been burned, does it happen, absolutely so you do have to be careful. BUT it is a two way street, you expect certain things from the relationship so does your Thai wife or girlfriend....we are now living in the late 1900's (thai time)....

Don't worry, problem solved, your friend mine you here to help you :D

Thailand, land of happy smiles

Thailand, everything goes,

Your friend me you tell you great idea,

Not have to sell furniture! :D

No No, it ok no need thanks to your friend you me.

Idea very simple...

Thailand everybody happy and like be 'happy'

So... thailand everything good idea and everything is ok.

So... you shave legs and wear mini-skirt work outside Nana Plaza 2 am.

Many man pay you good good and nice kind to you not hurt too much :D

No No it ok, no need to thanking my great idea,

my friend your freind you me :D :D :D

Good luck!

• Like 1

Easy Peasy,

I will not argue as to whether Sinsod is becoming outdated or not, it is obvious that many of us farangs are being asked to adhere to this custom. My personal belief is that marriage is 50/50 and that her family will be way ahead of the game in future arrears to come from you and yours....maybe even some property! My girl and I are in the same boat as you and yours. I do not have a great amount of reserves to buy my face with (and those faces which belong to her family). Practicality if the word of the day. It seems that two of my gal's sisters had eloped with Thai men...but nobody is concerned about loss of face or money. They had kids, got married, grew up...and are successful.....so it worked out. Nobody was angry and its quite a laugh. In our case, I am obtaining a fiancee visa and will get married in my own country. After a few years, my wife will have saved enough (more than SinSod) to buy property in Thailand and throw some cash around. In return, I will save my money and put a down payment on a house in my own country. Its community property, so we will both own half (Unlike here). In effect....she gets one and a half properties instead of Sin Sod. ,,,,and everyone comes out smelling like a rose. Print out a big paper check with the value of these properties and tape it up on the wall at your wedding in Thailand (yes..i will do a buddha wedding after we do one in my country). Throw a huge she-bang and brag about your generosity....you deserve it.

BTW guys, for those struggling to meet the demands, the simple solution is to do what many thai couples do.

The wife's family get a 2 day loan of the amount, have it presented as Sinsod to get their pathetic face, then it is returned with a little bit of interest 2 days later to the money lender or bank.

Very, very common. Face for the family and everyone is happy, unless they are using you for money. God forbid.

Edited by 1020
  • Like 2

Don't be concerned about the parents. Don't be concerned about money. There will always be someone to take your place. Come and live in Thailand, date her for a year..Where does the money go? If you are intent on saving money do it for yourself, not another person. You may need it if your left SOL in Thailand.

Here is the solution.

If her parents insist on a sin sod because you have to respect their traditions and culture explain nicely (through your wife if necessary) that it is only fair that her family respect your culture and traditions as well. And in your culture it is traditional for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding.

You will be surprised how quickly all demands will be suddenly dropped.

Works every time.

But presumably you have chosen to marry a Thai woman and moved to Thailand and you are getting married in Thailand? Why wouldn't you want to respect the traditions of the person you have chosen to marry? Just to save yourself some money?

With an attitude like this, it would be better to stick to your own kind.

Here is the solution.

If her parents insist on a sin sod because you have to respect their traditions and culture explain nicely (through your wife if necessary) that it is only fair that her family respect your culture and traditions as well. And in your culture it is traditional for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding.

You will be surprised how quickly all demands will be suddenly dropped.

Works every time.

But presumably you have chosen to marry a Thai woman and moved to Thailand and you are getting married in Thailand? Why wouldn't you want to respect the traditions of the person you have chosen to marry? Just to save yourself some money?

With an attitude like this, it would be better to stick to your own kind.

I'll give you two reasons why he wouldn't.

1 - Sin sod used to have a place in society when taking away a daughter would have a financial impact on the family. It has no place in the modern world. It is now just an excuse for grubby inlaws to try and get their hands on some free cash they dont deserve under the guise of 'tradition'.

2 - He obviously can't afford it.

Anyway, whats wrong with the father of the bride paying for the wedding if traditions are being expected? Either everyone plays along or all bets are off.

• Like 2

Don't worry, problem solved, your friend mine you here to help you biggrin.png

Thailand, land of happy smiles

Thailand, everything goes,

Your friend me you tell you great idea,

Not have to sell furniture! biggrin.png

No No, it ok no need thanks to your friend you me.

Idea very simple...

Thailand everybody happy and like be 'happy'

So... thailand everything good idea and everything is ok.

So... you shave legs and wear mini-skirt work outside Nana Plaza 2 am.

Many man pay you good good and nice kind to you not hurt too much biggrin.png

No No it ok, no need to thanking my great idea,

my friend your freind you me biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Good luck!

I see you are an "advanced" member. This contribution casts a whole new light on the meaning of "advanced"

so you have to pay for love that is free to get?. I did not pay for the sin sod, as i married for love. If you cannot afford it , tell them that and put the ball in their court and see what happens. Love should not have a price on it .I know sin sod is Thai custom .Customs are not law. Also if she has been married before and has children then there is no need to pay it. After all you are marring her and if you don't have the money , dont worry about it as love is the most important issue ....not the sin sod.

• Like 2

I find the OP's questions so naive as to be questionable. Surely, this is just trolling?

At the very least, give the thread some idea of your age (and hers). It will shape the answers you will get. You sound as if you are about 21-25. (Some seem to be assuming you are 60, but surely someone aged 60 would not have to scrape the barrel to get together a measly 100k baht.?)

Pray tell us your age, approximately.

When I came along, I explained my finances to her, explaining what 100% military disability is, and how much it comes to. She told me that was fine, and that we could live very happily on that, but that the one thing that mattered most to her was that I actually wanted to live with her IN Thailand.

What mattered most to her wasn't her actually being in love with you (or not) then.

An elderly Westerner, with income, willing to live with her and support her and her son.

Don't get me wrong, these sorts of relations are extremely common between elderly Westernmen and Thai women, and the 'relationships' often last a long time as both are happy with the agreement. Like full-time maid and employer.

When I came along, I explained my finances to her, explaining what 100% military disability is, and how much it comes to. She told me that was fine, and that we could live very happily on that, but that the one thing that mattered most to her was that I actually wanted to live with her IN Thailand.

What mattered most to her wasn't her actually being in love with you (or not) then.

An elderly Westerner, with income, willing to live with her and support her and her son.

Don't get me wrong, these sorts of relations are extremely common between elderly Westernmen and Thai women, and the 'relationships' often last a long time as both are happy with the agreement. Like full-time maid and employer.

I agree with you in general, but you're slightly off base in my situation. First, my wife did not need me to support her or her son. She had a very good job and had no problems taking care of herself or her son. Second, her son is a Government Teacher, with all the benefits that go along with that. We dated for over a year before finally deciding to marry, and it was based on mutual trust, mutual respect, and love. Money never was, and never has, been an issue. We live very comfortable with our combined incomes, and follow a strict budget.

1 - Sin sod used to have a place in society when taking away a daughter would have a financial impact on the family. It has no place in the modern world. It is now just an excuse for grubby inlaws to try and get their hands on some free cash they dont deserve under the guise of 'tradition'.

Not everyone's mileage is the same.

I have to disagree with the universal statement above.

My other half is MissFarmGirl who lives on the Farm with her family.

She was the only one the family they could afford to put through University.

With her education she was able to secure a job locally within a International Firm and according, received a decent salary.

Taking her contribution away from the Farm income would have a significant effect.

You are welcome to email and ask her that question.

As MissFarmGirl often remind me ... not all Thai same ... biggrin.png

So Kananga, while SinSot may or maynot be applicable in your circumstance, it is still relevant in Thai Society.

With her education she was able to secure a job locally within a International Firm and according, received a decent salary.

Taking her contribution away from the Farm income would have a significant effect.

So Kananga, while SinSot may or maynot be applicable in your circumstance, it is still relevant in Thai Society.

Its still not relevant. If your wife feels the need to continue to support her family then she can send them a portion of her pay check every month, like I assume she is doing now. Still no reason for you to give her inlaws any money. Unless you are buying off her monthly contribution with one payment. Which in my opinion is a bad idea as they will most likely spend the money in a heartbeat and then start asking for monthly handouts again which your wife will be obliged to pay.

I had my Thai wedding my way.

Cost 10k baht in total. smile.png

Lots of food and JWB for those we care about. Had a great ol' day and night. smile.png Probably less than 10 adults there in total.

Idiots spending more than that on people they don't know or care about is just silly.

After a few years here you think you should do it big so they can all get face off wasted money. After a few more years here you realize how silly it is, and you're also more in control of your testicles. wink.png You call the shots, not them. smile.png

<deleted> - not everyone is a cheap charlie looking to spend as little on the wedding or future wife!!

I would have wanted a nice wedding, regardless of the nationality of my future wife. We had a nice ceremony, nice evening reception and a great time. It was not that expensive when compared to other things in life. I want my wife to have have nice things - not look for the cheapest all the time.

10k THB - wow you really pushed the boat out you devil you! clap2.gif

Each to their own.

Your post is not particularly clear.

Your wife already left the farm once to work for a multi nat who in turn (via a salary) recompensed the family for their loss of a 'worker' if you will?

Now you say she still remains on the farm, yet you still paid a sin sod?

Could you just clear that up old bean?