Thais and facebook

Neeranam

I'm amazed at the number of people in this country that are addicted to facebook, my own wife and kids included.

Is it like this in other countries?

I remember before facebook, adult Thais seemed less social than people in my country. These days facebook really has taken off in a big way.

Do you think it's because of the 'anonymity' of it and Thais general lack of social skills?

I think it's the same for most of us in the world, go on Facebook when your bored.

Addicting no that's Thaivisa forumw00t.gif

It's not that anonymous unless your whole FB account is fake, carn't see the point in that.

Good for keeping in contact with people/family around the globe.That's it!

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

I have a FB account but only started it to be able to see other people's accounts. biggrin.png

It was empty for a very long time but due to a project at work and a team they wanted me to populate it some with updates to the projects. My wife also and most Thais at work seem to be on it, professionals and non-professionals.

I don't have a FaceBook account ... I survive quite nicely thanks ... laugh.png

I'm sure I would as well, apart from not being able to play candy crush.

But it's Thais I'm talking about - even on the Thai tv, I hear them talking about facebook all the time on the chat shows, news etc.

^^ haha. What makes me laugh are when a couple go for a meal, take a photo of each others meal then post it on Facebook then like each others photo, <deleted> is the world coming to?

• Like 2

Facebook is what YOU make of it. You can use it like a self centered idiot and post a message everytime you go to the bathroom as if the world is interested in your every move and utterance. Or you can use it to reconnect with long lost high school or college or work buddies in which case it can be a wonderful thing...sometimes.

Without facebook frankly I would have completely forgotten or lost touch with some long ago friends ...and as a result got together and shared in person some really good times.

Up to you.

• Like 2

The Op is surprised that so many Thais are "addicted" to Facebook.

Yes I use Facebook sometimes (maybe 30 minutes a day) and so do most of the people I know. I think it's also OK to sit on the BTS or MRT and read FB but what really annoys me is the number of people who really are addicted to it.

You see tham walking along the busy streets, up and down escalators and running around in shopping malls with their heads glued to their iPads, smartphones and they have absolutely no idea of what is happening around them.

I have lost count of the number of people who have bumped into me because they had their heads down looking at the phones.

I don't understand that they can't put the phone or tab down for five minutes.

I have a FB account but only started it to be able to see other people's accounts. biggrin.png

It was empty for a very long time but due to a project at work and a team they wanted me to populate it some with updates to the projects. My wife also and most Thais at work seem to be on it, professionals and non-professionals.

Exactly the same for me.

I hardly publish anything on there about myself or family.

These days facebook is the the only way I can see what is happening with family and old friends abroad. But it is a little sad when people I have known and were very close with me in the past are now only facebook friends, just lists of names and photos.

Problem is that facebook and other similar social networking sites has killed the art and enjoyment of actual social interaction with real people.

You need to work at it Beetlejuice, the occasional message or acknowledgement goes a long way. This very day my cousin who I love dearly is getting married, I can't be there. When she gets in from her wedding and settles down to post some photos on fb she'll find a bunch of flowers on her fb feed from me, and her new husband will receive a message too.

Right, it was the same cousins birthday recently, I sent her a rose via Facebook......today while I was Skypeing my Mother she brought it up, she said my cousin was delighted that I had thought of her.

It's these simple gestures that make the World a better place, all it takes is a little bit of imagination, and a little bit of effort.

ps. Here's the rose I sent to my cousin ( taken at the Botanical Gardens in Sydney ), it took me ten seconds out of my day, do you think she will appreciate it?

424207_328316590540003_1326498790_n.jpg

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

FB is conplete garbage time waster, used to have a lurker account but I deleted it as I found it so useless. Keeping in touch with virtual friends doesn't interest me at all and my real friends will always be there when I go home...

• Like 1

But it is a little sad when people I have known and were very close with me in the past are now only facebook friends, just lists of names and photos.

People move on and probable sign of a fair weather friend. Wasn't much there in the first place.

I prefer all or nothing in life and wouldn't keep history dangling on a string. Personally, I'd remove them.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Because of their general lack of social skills ? ummmm ...... probably not , it's probably because they have more social skills than you and enough friends to make it sensible to use , and skills enough to make more on Facebook than you rather than the other way around. However I'm sure you can rationalize how not having enough friends to enjoy Facebook or not having many new Facebook friends makes your social skills superior even though that would be absurd.

I have a friend who spends her whole life telling the world whats shes doing, its pathetic ie just going for a dump , phew that was a relief, got a bogey up my nose that wont come out etc etc

Because of their general lack of social skills ? ummmm ...... probably not , it's probably because they have more social skills than you and enough friends to make it sensible to use , and skills enough to make more on Facebook than you rather than the other way around. However I'm sure you can rationalize how not having enough friends to enjoy Facebook or not having many new Facebook friends makes your social skills superior even though that would be absurd.

Yeah we call them "fair weather friends"

To keep it on topic I think it's the way of showing one up man ship. Taking pictures of being at XXX mall then pictures of what was had for lunch then pictures of what was bought then the tickets of the movie that was seen. Just to show everyone look at me I am awsome and you all want to be like me (face). Others use it to show a bit of life. Like pictures of time spend with family ect. I am not sure if it's any different because its a case of look at my family don't we look good. Others still use it as a place to post notices and Youtube vids they think are important for their world of people to see. Others still use it as a popularity contest. Person x has more than 12,000 friends so I must get 15,000 soon. Though they know about 5% of the people on their lists. Others yet use to it creep or stalk others to see what they are doing with profiles devoid of anything and just check out so and so becuase thats who they are courious about. It's social networking so it can be what ever you want it to be and everyone is going to say theirs is the right way to use it. Hell some people even use it as a dating site....

• Like 1