Potential overstay, please advice.

Hello everybody,

I hope you can help me out here.

My tourist visa (applied for and granted in Germany) is valid until July 7.

My flight back to Europe is going on July 8 at 3am.

So that means I will be in Thailand 3 hours longer than the validity of my visa states.

I don't want to get any problems in Thailand or get listed on a secret black list since my Thai wife an me would like to spent a lot of time in Thailand before hopefully settling down here.

So, for an international flight the airline always recommend to be in the airport 2 hours before take off.

If I go through the passport check before midnight would that count as leaving Thailand within the validity of the visa?

If the safest way to stay away from any black list then of course I would apply for an extension of my visa from within Thailand.

Of course paying 2000 Baht for some hours and - even more - travelling all the way to Laksi would bother me but everything is better than getting any problems in Thailand in the future.

Thank you for your advices

You will have no problem.

Overstay less than 24 hours is not fined at Suvarnabhumi.

Yo get a small stamp in your passport that's it.

People have overstayed years and can return to Thailand on return on next flight.

Only reason to be blacklisted is if you are convicted in a court and deported.

For an overstay of a day or two it makes no sense to extend your visa. At most you will pay a 500 baht/day fine on departure, which is a routine matter and doesn't land you on any "lists". (It could if you had overstayed by a very long period, but not for a short overstay like this).

And I believe there is a 24 hour grace period so you may not have to pay anything at all.

If the OP still has any concerns (despite PoorSucker's and Sheryl's good advice), why doesn't he check-in for his flight online (assuming that he can both do this and then print out his boarding pass) and arrive at Suvarnabhumi by 11pm on 7 July, so that he can get through Immigration before the bewitching hour? That would, of course, entail a long wait airside which might, however, be worth it for his peace of mind.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but I believe that immigration calculates overstay based on the scheduled flight departure time. However, it is true that at the airport no fine is levied for overtime of only one day and only a corresponding note is made in the passport.

Believe time is based on what time you pass through immigration.

But checkin-in early only works if you don't have any suitcases, only a small bag that can be taken in the cabin. Otherwise you still have to check-in from 3 hours before the flight time, unless you fly Thai Airways. I believe you can check your luggage in with them at Suv. 24 hours before.

But checkin-in early only works if you don't have any suitcases, only a small bag that can be taken in the cabin. Otherwise you still have to check-in from 3 hours before the flight time, unless you fly Thai Airways. I believe you can check your luggage in with them at Suv. 24 hours before.

So does this mean that, for a flight with an airline other than THAI where you have already checked-in online, you can still only leave suitcases at the baggage drop counter no earlier than 3 hours before the flight departure time?

depends a bit on the airline, but look here for instance at Airasia:

http://www.airasia.com/my/en/check-ins/web-and-mobile-web.page

Domestic opens 2 hours before, international long distance 4 hours.

At most airports all over the world it is the same: 4 or 3 hours for international flights. Airports don't want to sit on a pile of suitcases.

I wouldn't worry about checking in early for an overstay of less than 24 hours. The immigration officer will have a stamp on his desk just for this purpose. It is a small blue stamp that says you overstayed less than 24 hours.

For longer overstays you have to go to a separate desk and pay your fine.

Thank you for all your answers.

I will try to find out how many hours before departure the airline opens the check in counters.

Regarding this secret black list I have to admit that I might worry a little bit too much.

I just would like to avoid any written note about overstaying at all.

I will try to find out how many hours before departure the airline opens the check in counters.

Regarding this secret black list I have to admit that I might worry a little bit too much.

I just would like to avoid any written note about overstaying at all.

I believe that the earliest you can physically check in at BKK for all international flights, regardless of airline, is 3 hours before the scheduled flight departure time. But can you not check in online at an internet cafe if you don't have a laptop with you? I gather that most airlines permit online check-in up to 24 hours beforehand. However, I strongly suggest that you confirm this with your airline, also the earliest time you can deposit your hold luggage at their baggage drop counter.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the update from my side.

My wife called immigration in Bangkok and I tried the 1111 as advertised somewhere here in the forum.

The answer was: No problem, just go to the airport and pay 500 baht. You will get a small note in your passport and that is all.

At the airport I did not have to pay 500 baht but got the small note stating, according to my wife, that my overstay was less than 24 hours.

So, it looks like this really is no problem but of course in future I will try to plan my flights exactly within the validity of my visa.

Here is the update from my side.

My wife called immigration in Bangkok and I tried the 1111 as advertised somewhere here in the forum.

The answer was: No problem, just go to the airport and pay 500 baht. You will get a small note in your passport and that is all.

At the airport I did not have to pay 500 baht but got the small note stating, according to my wife, that my overstay was less than 24 hours.

So, it looks like this really is no problem but of course in future I will try to plan my flights exactly within the validity of my visa.

Did Immigration at Suvarnabhumi stamp you out before or after midnight?