Farmers Meeting in Laos? We want YOUR thoughts.

AA1

Last Saturday we held a very enjoyable "Isaan Farmers Meeting No. 9" during which we talked about MrOdyssey's very interesting idea that we might like a Meeting near the end of the year up on the Bolavon Plateau in Laos. This is what he suggested he could organise when he wrote his Post #42 for that Meeting.

----------------------------------

"Posted 2013-06-13 09:06:11

Hello Anthony et al.,

This is going to come as a shock to you, but I'm going to have to give this meeting a miss despite the prospect of free beer and of course the pleasant company, as usual. I've dug in, so to speak, at my farm on the Plateau, leading the life of a hermit, and actually getting things done. See:

http://www.wrongwayh...-of-the-hermit/

I would, however, like to take this opportunity to make a suggestion for a meeting on the Bolaven Plateau in November or December. If there is enough interest, a new thread should perhaps be started. I certainly wouldn't suggest this if my farm was the only thing to see. I recently paid a visit to another part-time Bolaven Plateau resident, an Englishman who, on Thaivisa, goes by the name of JungleBiker. He was introduced to me quite some time ago by Michael Hare, the "seed guy" at Ubon Ratchathani University, who some of you may be familiar with as he's made some very helpful contributions to this forum. We've sort of been internet buddies since we were introduced, but we never seemed to be in the same place at the same time until just recently. JungleBiker is a horticulture-related consultant (he may want to clarify that). He paid a visit to my farm, admired my waterfall, and told me the names almost everything growing there (all of which went in one ear and out the other). He then took me on a fascinating tour of his property. Amongst other things, he's got a lab dedicated to conserving the rapidly disappearing orchids in the area. On his 7-hectare farm nearby he's experimenting with all sorts of crops, blackberries being most prominent in my memory. Anyway, it will be coffee harvest time on the Plateau, the weather should be clear, and the leeches should have returned to wherever leeches go when it dries out. JungleBiker has agreed to co-host the meeting with me. Should he have to go off consulting, as his work just kind of pops up all of a sudden, I'll be prepared to give the tour of his property myself. If that happens, perhaps we could have a question and answer session with him via the internet after the tour (an Isaan Farmers Video Conference). But with some luck and planning he should be there. He was a long-term resident of Thailand, too, in the Isaan area, so he knows heaps about farming here. Any thoughts? "

---------------------------------------------

When we discussed it at Meeting No. 9 we thought that this sounded a fascinating idea and very different from the normal farming that we do here

BUT

being over the border in Laos, there are many things that everyone might need to know before deciding whether it is a viable idea to go or not AND, for us, if there would be enough interest in it to make it practical.

There are many things which we would all need to know before considering whether to go or not such as:-

1). Visas? - Do expats have to go to Bangkok to get a Visa OR can we get this at the Border? I don't think that Thais need a Visa BUT do they need a passport or is their ID Card adequate?

2). Distance? - roughly how far is it from Ubon Ratchathani to the border crossing (bridge or ferry?) and then how far from the Crossing to the Wrong Way "Cube" (see MrOdyssey's Blogg!) on the Bolavon Plateau? Looking on a map this appears the best way across or am I wrong?

3). How long for? - Would we say meet up in say Ubon the night before crossing. Next morning convoy our cars to the Border. Abandon our cars there and so we all cross the Mekong by foot, ferry or whatever together. Have hired Van/Bus ready on the Laos side to take us up to the Plateau, transport us as necessary during our 2? nights stay and then return us to the Border. Cross back and then wend our ways home again?

At this stage we just want any thoughts, queries and comments that anybody may have so that we are all clear what we would need to have/do and get an idea of the interest in such a trip.

IF at the end of this we consider going ahead, we would start a completely NEW Topic to organise it so please don't feel that anything you say on this Topic will commit you either to going or not!!

NOW we just need YOUR thoughts, queries and help!!!

Thanks,

AA1.

• Like 1

loas has visa on arrival for most, going to cost about $30-40 nationality dependent. that border has a long pedigree of scamming so you are going to be hit if you pay in baht. the exchange there will refuse to give you dollars. didnt notice a place there to get rentry visas but then i wasnt looking, worth checking for those who need it. . has bridge not a ferry over the mekong. direct standard big blue thai bus a few times a day from ubon to pakse in laos. bus station is a long way from train station in ubon but has direct songthew between for about 10-15 baht if i recall. many other cheap transport options on both side of the border if not taking the direct bus. need to walk a little after immig to get them on the laos side. pakse has quite a number of hotels/GH but only one or two of them are not price scammers. ubon hotel pickings are slim. one cheapie near the train station vying for the highly sough after rudest staff in thailand award.

havent been to bolivan but sure would like too. am afraid of imagined bad roads and that has stopped me in the past. google maps shows the terrain for roads is dreadful. might risk it if this eventuates sounds good. mekong islands in the south are also a draw for those who have time. called don det and don somethings else. goes without saying with them being in loas that scamming abounds. thailand is a pure pristine wonderland in comparison. however loas people in the region in general are amiable. pakse is pleasant enough for short stays. going to be paying noticably more for everything than in thaland. can get through to cambodia that going way too. and vietnam direct too.

Edited by ttwitt

loas has visa on arrival for most, going to cost about $30-40 nationality dependent. that border has a long pedigree of scamming so you are going to be hit if you pay in baht. the exchange there will refuse to give you dollars. didnt notice a place there to get rentry visas but then i wasnt looking, worth checking for those who need it. . has bridge not a ferry over the mekong. direct standard big blue thai bus a few times a day from ubon to pakse in laos. bus station is a long way from train station in ubon but has direct songthew between for about 10-15 baht if i recall. many other cheap transport options on both side of the border if not taking the direct bus. need to walk a little after immig to get them on the laos side. pakse has quite a number of hotels/GH but only one or two of them are not price scammers. ubon hotel pickings are slim. one cheapie near the train station vying for the highly sough after rudest staff in thailand award.

havent been to bolivan but sure would like too. am afraid of imagined bad roads and that has stopped me in the past. google maps shows the terrain for roads is dreadful. might risk it if this eventuates sounds good. mekong islands in the south are also a draw for those who have time. called don det and don somethings else. goes without saying with them being in loas that scamming abounds. thailand is a pure pristine wonderland in comparison. however loas people in the region in general are amiable. pakse is pleasant enough for short stays. going to be paying noticably more for everything than in thaland. can get through to cambodia that going way too. and vietnam direct too.

You must be joking! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

which part do you thing is joking? the part about amiable laos people? vietnam canbe direct from laos as in not needing to go through cambo if you dont want to but once again you got those raods to contend with..

Edited by ttwitt

Hello All,

I'll do my best to reply to the questions from AA and others.

Visas-- please do your own homework. All the information is available on Thaivisa. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but visa/reentry permits are complicated. I go back and forth as a happy transient, given 15 days when I come into Thailand. Remember that that is all you will get if you are staying on a visa-on-arrival, which I think is really a visa waiver-- when you come in through an international airport, you get 30 days, but only 15 at border crossings. Some of you will find that the timing sucks because you will have just had to get a new single-entry visa and leaving the country will make it an expensive one as you'll have to get another. In Savanakhet, not far from Pakse (3 hours, across from Mukdahan), you can get a tourist visa, but I'm not sure about any other types. Some of you, however, may find that the timing is just right to do a border crossing. Most of you, however, are married and settled here (I mean Thailand, even though I'm in Vientiane!). The good news is your spouse will be able to go into Laos on her passport or a border pass without the need of a visa. The Bolaven Plateau is becoming a very popular destination for the Thais. 30-day visas are available at the border and it's really not a hastle at all. I've got a multiple entry business visa now (for Laos) so I haven't done it recently, but I do suggest you get the correct US$ amount in advance. There's now a bank on the Lao side which you can easily stop in before doing the Lao-side immigration procedures. I would be very surprised if they won't sell you dollars. I'll try to remember to check the next time I'm through. My recommendation-- don't let visa issues stop you. Life is too short to stay put in Thailand all the time.

Distance-- Chong Mek is certainly the best place to cross the border. I do it regularly with my truck, and I love the sleepy, friendly atmosphere. It's a land crossing. The "bridge" that Ttwit mentioned is inside Laos, just as you get to Pakse. From Ubon to where JungleBiker and I are on the Bolaven Plateau, it's about 180km. The road from Ubon to the border, which I'll call about 80km, is excellent. As you approach the border, the last 4km or so, they are still working on widening it, but they are doing it such that it's easy to pass over. In fact, by November or December it will probably be finished. Across the border I'd say it's about 50km to Pakse, the main city on the Mekong. This road is perfectly fine, and they are gradually widening it. You may have to dodge a few cows, goats, and pigs. Lao drivers are even worse than Thai drivers (I know it seems impossible), but they do their very poor driving very slowly. From Pakse, which deserves a visit if you've got the time-- there is a very popular French restaurant there which I'm hoping to supply in the future-- it's about another 50km to Paksong at the top of the Plateau. Since you will be 1km higher in the sky when you get there, you may imagine a winding, dangerous road, but it's really a pretty straight and gradual climb. There are little villages on the way up selling all sorts of things. If you stop to admre the goods, remember not to leave your car in neutral without firmly engaging the side (emergency) brake. You will have stopped thinking you are on an incline, and your car will return to Pakse without you.

How long for-- AA mentions an interesting possibility. A night in Ubon followed by everyone getting into a minivan. Leave at 8:00 a.m. and you'd all be on the Plateau before noon. I think the standard, late-morning into the evening "meeting" would work fine. Probably best to do the evening bit at JungleBikers as he's only a km or two from where I'll suggest you stay in the center of the sleepy town. At the moment I've only got one 20W light and it attracts every bug within 100 meters. JungleBiker will have toilets with running water and such, too. Don't know what my place will be like 5 or 6 months from now. . .

Pleanty of lodging. I live the life of a hermit now in my "cube" but while building it and before there's a fine place that I stayed in, about 400 baht for the bigger rooms. I can make the arrangements when the time comes.

If you can get a visa in advance (available in Bangkok, and Khon Kaen), the International Bus is a fine way to get as far as Pakse. I think I'd be able to arrange transport from Pakse to our area.

As Ttwat suggested, there are lots of other things do do and see. You can search for unexploded ordinance on the 6 out of 7 hectares of his farm that the UN hasn't cleared yet, or go to the 4,000 islands, etc.

That's it for now. I hope there's a lot of interest.

Richard

which part do you thing is joking? the part about amiable laos people? vietnam canbe direct from laos as in not needing to go through cambo if you dont want to but once again you got those raods to contend with..

Try and see if you can find a sentence put in bold letters! wink.png

Try and see if you can find a sentence put in bold letters! wink.png

debated for a couple of days to wait for those actually living in the area to answer but it was not forth coming so jumped in.

bold letters ok now. havent had good experience in ubon not bad but not pleasant, and with the hotel mentioned i was motivated to find a new hotel but failed. same experience on passing through a few time so wasnt motivated to stay longer. i think it must be a thai ethnic group that is not my cup of tea, but didnt stick around long enough to pin it down to get a true answer. sentiment improves noticably the closer to the laos border one gets from ubon. looking on the ethnic map https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Thailand_ethnic_map.svg/341px-Thailand_ethnic_map.svg.png i see a culture change explanation is possible there.

thanks immensely for a clarification on the road situation MrOdyssey. i have previously only followed the mekong to cambo. with this new road info i may become more adventurous.

yeah now (as in about a month ago was refused) they also wont let you on the cross border bus to vientiane from nongkhai bus station without a pre-issued visa whereas they would sometime ago. havent actual caught the ubon-pakse cross border bus but can see that not having a pre-issued visa could stop one from using it. (and ok next nick will be that "ttwat" if its not taken )

Edited by ttwitt

I think it must be a thai ethnic group that is not my cup of tea, but didnt stick around long enough to pin it down to get a true answer. sentiment improves noticably the closer to the laos border one gets from ubon. looking on the ethnic map https://upload.wikim...nic_map.svg.png i see a culture change explanation is possible there.

blink.png

Edited by bergen

Hi All,

Thank you all for your very helpful comments so far.

Mr. Odyssey. Sorry. When I talked about Visas, I was only meaning the Laos Visa and whether one can obtain a short stay one at the border or if it needed to be done at the Laos Embassy at Bangkok. Now knowing that Entry Visas can be got at the border (as long as you take the right documents & potos!) this would make a visit much more viable.

Mosha. Thanks for mentioning 'Re-entry Permits'. When I do my annual Visa Extension renewal, I usually get a Multi-entry Permit at the same time so don't have to worry about it so overlooked mentioning it. YES. It is essential to have a Re-entry Permit if you were to go otherwise you would be forced to have a Tourist Visa when you return and would loose whatever type of Visa you had before.

ttwitt. Thanks so much for your very useful info especially with the regard to the Laos use of the $!! Would be worth taking some to avoid any hassle or scamming on currency transfer rates etc.

MrOdyssey. Your ideas for a meeting up at your's and JungleBiker's sounds good BUT if we all start off that day from Ubon any delay at either side of the border could mess up the whole day!!! Just a thought might be for us all to stay the night before at a hotel in Pakse which would for a start avoid the problems which ttwitt and Bergen have about the quality of hotels in Ubon!!!!!!!

Say on the Friday, we parked our pick-ups, cars or what-have-you, at a carpark, presumably they have a decent one, at the border, walked over the bridge, doing our paperwork at each end and then got the bus to Pakse and found the hotel where we were staying. We could then have a snoop round Pakse and maybe have dinner at the French restaurant you mention.

Saturday morning, have a leisurely get up and be collected by arranged transport (hired for 2 days, say) to get up to yours in the latter morning. Then have the day as you suggest. Stay the night in Paksong and then depending what people want on the Sunday either go direct back to the border or have a drive in the transport seeing a bit more of the Plateau or say coffee market etc. before returning later to the border.

Thank you all and keep suggestion and ideas coming as that is how we can learn what you would like and any other problems tha may crop up!

AA1.

Hello All,

AA1, thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps you are right about crossing the border on Friday. Don't be disappointed if you can't locate the bridge, though. There isn't one; it's a land border. Checking for a secure place to park on the Thai side is something I'll put on my to-do list. Another advantage about crossing on a Friday is no weekend "overtime" charges. Pakse has an abundance of accommodation. I stay at a crappy cheap place because they've got secure parking. Depending on numbers we might just want to rent a minivan (or two) with a driver. I recently did that for a group of Japanese in Vientiane and it was something like $75 a day, but that was a proper rental with insurance, etc. Still, when you divide that by the number of people, it's not bad. I'll look into it the next time I'm in Pakse. I was thinking, AA1, in the spirit of the more the merrier, wouldn't it be interesting to suggest to the Ubon Hash House Harriers to have an "excursion run" coinciding with our meeting? If they are game, then we could expect a small crowd of Vientiane hashers joining us. And, when word gets out, we'd probably have people from as far away as Bangkok joining us. Or, is that being a bit too adventurous? The restaurant I mentioned is called Nadao. I've never been there because, even though it's considered very reasonably priced, it would still make me have to reduce my beer budget. Bringing a large group of people there would give the owner a favorable opinion of me (until the hashers stand up and start singing about <deleted> and such). Check out the reviews (first link below). Check the article I published on my website yesterday (true lunacy, second link below).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g670161-d2162112-Reviews-Nadao-Pakse_Champasak_Province.html

http://www.wrongwayhome.com/2013/06/bombs-barrels-and-beans-on-toast/

hi all would be a great day out laugh.png

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@ Mr. Oddysey, very entertaining blog and i love the blog entry!

For aussierus'sl-, and Dancealot's sake can't you postpone the whole thing until April?

Hi,

Seems you are both keeping well even if on opposite sides of the globe.

I have had a look on the internet about the Plateau and it appears that:-

a). the dry season is from October till April

more importantly

cool.png. the coffee picking season is from October till February

and most importantly

c). that is what MrOdyssey has suggested - Nov. or Dec. so I imagine that that period is most convenient for him!!!!!

I would imagine that it is mainly because of cool.png. so April would not work which will means that we will sadly miss your cheery selves.

MrOdyssey.

Your Blogg is splendid. Not only do we get a fascinating insight of what you are up to BUT this time we also got a history lesson PLUS a very good belly laugh about your journey 'worming' your way home from your friendly 'farmer'!!!! Keep the bloggs going it keeps a smile on many of our faces!

Good idea. Why not see if the Ubon Hash House Harriers would like to come to as several come to our meetings anyway BUT may I make a suggestion. Having had a look a map, I feel that we should all meet for a good 1st. night out in Paske then in the morning us farmers can be mini bused up to yours for a good and well oiled Meeting (Beer Lao please) while the Harriers run up - Ha, ha, ha!!!!!!!

Likewise why shouldn't farmers from all over Thailand be able to join us. After all we are using the T.V. Section "Farming in Thailand" to promote our Topic. They would then have a chance to see how their poor country cousins try to scrape a living!! Whether they come from Bangkok as you mention OR they are a Legend or Saint from Phuket!, I am sure that we would make them very welcome.

Best wishes to everyone and MrOdyssey don't forget to replenish your stocks of the Boston product to take home!

AA1.

Edited by AA1

@AA1 and Mr. Oddysey.

I will do my best to try to make it to the Bolaven Plateau this year.

Dancealot,

You've cheered my day up!

If we end up going ahead, we will be delighted if you can make it.

Everyone else.

Do you have any more good suggestions or thoughts which we can answer?

All the best,

AA1.

Hello all,

Just thought I'd mention (warn you?) that the Ubon hashers are keen and we may even get the Vientiane crowd. Could turn into a good event. All in the spirit of the more the merrier. We can discuss farming issues while they sing silly songs and freeze their testicles sitting on blocks of ice. People following this thread deserve precedence, so which weekends would you like to eliminate in November or December? I will also work with the hashers to eliminate weekends that coincide with major hashing events. It would be nice to narrow it down as far in advance as possible. But, a meeting or two should take place before this, so who is hosting the next one?

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Just thought I'd mention (warn you?) that the Ubon hashers are keen and we may even get the Vientiane crowd. Could turn into a good event. All in the spirit of the more the merrier. We can discuss farming issues while they sing silly songs and freeze their testicles sitting on blocks of ice. People following this thread deserve precedence, so which weekends would you like to eliminate in November or December? I will also work with the hashers to eliminate weekends that coincide with major hashing events. It would be nice to narrow it down as far in advance as possible. But, a meeting or two should take place before this, so who is hosting the next one?

Hi all,

Sorry that I have been out of touch for so long but thanks to a rogue of an a computer engineer who seemed to have had a monopoly of providing internet connection to the few in this area (about 1 per village!) I have had NO connection for about 6 weeks. I won't grouse any longer or you will get fed up BUT I have now got just about a connection from elsewhere and as it is so slow I am not charged for it. Will probably have to go over to a satellite dish. One of the handicaps of living totally in the sticks with rubber trees in every direction!!!

It was peaceful being completely isolated

BUT,

although wonderful to find out that the world is still there (and in time to listen to live commentaries of the Canaries Football Matches!!), there is so much work to catch up on!!

MrOdyssey,

As can be seen from the above you have been doing a wonderful job in moving things along. Lao internet connection must be much better than we get in Thailand as I have only just seen it so maybe everyone else has not got back online yet!!!!!

Thank you for all your hard work trying to get this splendid plan off the ground and would be fun if the Ubon Hashers join in to as several of them join in with us at Farmers Meetings too.

1). Date:- At present I can fit in with any weekend during November & December.

2). Say in late September or early October, it would be a good idea to have a Farmers Meeting when a small part can be set aside so that:-

those who are interested in going to see you at the Bolavon Plateau can discuss - face to face - plans for travel, meeting up, etc.

while

those not interested can chat while downing a pint or 2!

We can then report to others who could not get to the Meeting.

BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO?

1). Date:- We DO need ideas of the most suitable dates to arrange, or avoid, for the visit to visit to MrOdyssey's farm etc. which should be most interesting. Making suggestions for the date, does NOT commit you to going or not but will help us considerably as the sooner a date can be arranged the better for everyone.

2). Next Farmers Meeting - late Sept. or early Oct. We do NOT have a host organised at present so would like you to offer and advise a date when it would suit you best. It does NOT involve much work and they are most enjoyable as you know.

Pour your replies in!!!

As my friend Delia Smith (Canary boss & cook!) once said "Let's be 'aving you"!!

All the best,

Anthony (AA1)

i have successfully avoided harriers for the whole of my life. voluntary engagement would be out of the question or require undue duress . unfortunate that a worship of alcohol excess seems to creep into unrelated gatherings. i also avoid excessive loudness. but thats just me.

i had thought that the combo harriers plus farmers was a lead balloon as the thread stopped dead for long time. maybe other drinking farmers or those that can straddle both groups will prevail. just not for me sorry.

i have successfully avoided harriers for the whole of my life. voluntary engagement would be out of the question or require undue duress . unfortunate that a worship of alcohol excess seems to creep into unrelated gatherings. i also avoid excessive loudness. but thats just me.

i had thought that the combo harriers plus farmers was a lead balloon as the thread stopped dead for long time. maybe other drinking farmers or those that can straddle both groups will prevail. just not for me sorry.

It is wonderful to have you join the farming forum, So have you finnished building your house or still living under the bridge ?

• Like 1

It is wonderful to have you join the farming forum, So have you finnished building your house or still living under the bridge ?

well you can be certain its not under a bar stool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anytime durind DEc-Feb is ok with me .

well you can be certain its not under a bar stool.

• 1 month later...