My money keeps disappearing.

NoshowJones

GPS in and of itself does not use mobile data. Many applications - navigation, localized weather - which may use GPS functionality may also require a data connection. GPS settings are found in Settings, Personal/Location access...then switch Access to my location to "OFF", or un-check both GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile network location.

Un-checking "Data enabled" will prevent a loss of money. However, if you re-start your phone it may default back to enabling mobile data.This varies by model. There should be some indication in the top-most status bar of your phone re: mobile data...you may see a "G", or an "E", which indicates GPRS or EDGE, which are types of lower-speed GSM (2G) mobile data.

Your best option may be simply a time-based 2G from One-2-Call (EDGE+)? You can get 20 hours for 100 baht over one month. The code *138*33#. Make sure you monitor your time used.

I'd recommend learning your way around the menus before relying on third-party apps. to control the features and functions of your phone.

You may also wish to disable automatic updating of applications, or at least limit any automatic updating to "WiFi-only". In the Play Store, choose settings, Auto-update apps and choose "Do not auto-update apps", or "Auto-update apps over WiFi only".

Edited by lomatopo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife had the same rpoblem with ehr new phone, in her case it was the GPS-function that wasn't switched off. Now she knows better.

As it was a new number and phone, AIS promptly refunded the money without any problem. Nice service.

That might be my problem Mario, I was exploring the GPS as I had never seen it before, can you tell me how to make sure it is switched off? I have a new phone but not a new number. Thanks again.

As I mentioned earlier install this app and you can see and control everything with one touch without digging through the configuration of the phone. I have it on my HTC Desire which is running Android 2.2 so will work with yours. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bwx.bequick&hl=en

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks, it seems very interesting, this is my first smartphone, once I master it, I may very well download the app.

GPS in and of itself does not use mobile data. Many applications - navigation, localized weather - which may use GPS functionality may also require a data connection. GPS settings are found in Settings, Personal/Location access...then switch Access to my location to "OFF", or un-check both GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile network location.

Un-checking "Data enabled" will prevent a loss of money. However, if you re-start your phone it may default back to enabling mobile data.This varies by model. There should be some indication in the top-most status bar of your phone re: mobile data...you may see a "G", or an "E", which indicates GPRS or EDGE, which are types of lower-speed GSM (2G) mobile data.

Your best option may be simply a time-based 2G from One-2-Call (EDGE+)? You can get 20 hours for 100 baht over one month. The code *138*33#. Make sure you monitor your time used.

I'd recommend learning your way around the menus before relying on third-party apps. to control the features and functions of your phone.

You may also wish to disable automatic updating of applications, or at least limit any automatic updating to "WiFi-only". In the Play Store, choose settings, Auto-update apps and choose "Do not auto-update apps", or "Auto-update apps over WiFi only".

Is one-2-call connected with AIS in any way? They gave me so much hassle with my laptop. I like the idea of 100 baht for 20 hrs, that's what I had with AIS.

One-2-Call is the pre-paid brand name for AIS. I assumed that you have One-2-Call as you have mentioned AIS, and pre-paid balance(s)?

Why did AIS hassle you about your lap-top? Please try to share as much detail about your situation, equipment, location, budget and requirements up front as all these details can contribute to clear and concise recommendation.

I have just had a similar problem. Lost 2,000 baht over about three days.

Turns out that when I arrived in Thailand and reactivated my internet package, I actually just activated the AIS internet, not my unlimited package. Result of this was that my phone kept sending a text to check internet approximately every ten minutes @ 8 baht a time. Wiped out all my credit, and then a further 100baht that I topped up to make some calls.

Called AIS 1175, and thankfully a nice customer service lady fixed the problem immediately, and refunded all my credit. Just had to wait about twenty minutes for activation.

Best to buy yourself an internet/phone call package, and check with customer services.

Edited by phetphet

Options depends on the model of phone and the software. My Samsung Galaxy Note is a bit elderly these days (about 1 year) but has Android 4.1 which is almost the latest. This version (and earlier ones) has a option "Data usage" right below the WiFi selection. open that one and it shows you a graph of your actual data usage in the current month, and what apps have used that data. Google Play has some apps for such, pick the free ones if you feel a need for such.

And if you are new to all this, it is worth mentioning again that you can use free WiFi for most of your Internet applications.

Most resturants, bars, hotels, etc have free WiFi, and of course you may have internet at home with WiFi via your router.

Just learn how to switch Mobile Data off, but switch WiFi on. You need to ask for the access password for each of the WiFi spots you visit, but once you have that set up it will connect automatically.

I'm with AIS 3G and I have strictly no connection problem in Pattaya or Bangkok.

I can also connect on Koh Larn and Hat Nang Ram / Hat Sai Kheo.

I use the "3G iSmart" postpaid plan for 299 baht, where I get 100 minutes of calls included, 500 MB traffic included on 3G, and once it is depleted, I surf unlimited at 64 Kbps, which is enough for most uses, including tethering the netbook.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-postpaid/th/package-detail/1/แพ็กเกจiSmart

Edited by manarak

I have the True landline home internet package cost about 699 Baht/month for 6Megs for 7x24 hours

The package includes FREE Wifi access for 30 hours (30-day month and 31 hours for a 31-day month, etc). There must be an easier way to phrase that package :)

The local True office setup the additional access details and passwordss, etc and I was connected in about ten minutes.

Which service provider do you currently use?

Do you plan on using mobile data, that is, using any internet applications when you are outside of WiFi coverage?

All time-based mobile data plans are hard-capped, meaning you will start paying by the min. (1.07 baht/min.) or per Kilo-Byte or Mega-Byte of data uploaded/downloaded, once you exceed your monthly allotted amount of time (in hours). Additionally, most time-based mobile data plans are speed capped to 256/384 Kbps from the very first Byte.

Many lower-tiered volume-based mobile data plans are also hard-capped, so you'll also start paying by the min. or KB/MB once you exceed your monthly allotment. Mid-tier and higher volume-based mobile data plans typically offer "unlimited internet usage" but your speed will be reduced once you've exceeded your cap.

There are many apps. in the Play Store which allow you to monitor data usage, alert you and take action(s). Droid Stats is but one example.

Net-net: You should monitor data usage and choose a monthly recurring mobile data plan which meets your requirements. You can disable/enable mobile data on your phone: Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Mobile networks, Data enabled (un-check/check). Note that your phone will continue to work for calls and texts with data disabled.

"Which service provider do you currently use?"

My wife has a Samsung S3.

At home we have 3BB, very reliable and fairly fast.

When we go out she uses Wifi, it's available all over.

Her top-ups are consumed only by SMS and calls, not by internet.

Works great. No problems, no losses.

Android phones (smart phones in general) are by default set to be constantly online. They constantly check your e-mails etc. Indicated by a G, E, 3G or H symbol next to the signal strength indicator on top of the screen.

Two choices:

1) shut data off to stop getting charged for internet. Go to settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks and then uncheck "use packet data".

A quicker way which works on most Samsung phones is to long press the power button, and then tap on "data network mode". This should toggle data on and off.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone for me, but you can obviously still use wifi wherever available.

2) get a data package. All providers have 24/7 packages where the internet can be connected 24/7 and you are allowed to use a certain amount of data. 100 MB/month just for checking emails and 1 GB/month if occasionally browsing websites. Cost only a few hundred/month depending on provider...

Thanks, can you recommend a provider, apart from AIS whom I don't trust?

Why don't you trust AIS. Ive been using AIS for over 6 years with no problem at all. I have the 300 baht 300MB monthly package and its enough for checking emails, iMessage and whatsapp etc.

Android phones (smart phones in general) are by default set to be constantly online. They constantly check your e-mails etc. Indicated by a G, E, 3G or H symbol next to the signal strength indicator on top of the screen.

Two choices:

1) shut data off to stop getting charged for internet. Go to settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks and then uncheck "use packet data".

A quicker way which works on most Samsung phones is to long press the power button, and then tap on "data network mode". This should toggle data on and off.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone for me, but you can obviously still use wifi wherever available.

2) get a data package. All providers have 24/7 packages where the internet can be connected 24/7 and you are allowed to use a certain amount of data. 100 MB/month just for checking emails and 1 GB/month if occasionally browsing websites. Cost only a few hundred/month depending on provider...

Thanks, can you recommend a provider, apart from AIS whom I don't trust?

Why don't you trust AIS. Ive been using AIS for over 6 years with no problem at all. I have the 300 baht 300MB monthly package and its enough for checking emails, iMessage and whatsapp etc.

The last three times I used them I topped up with 100 Baht each time, at different branches, one of them the 6th floor of Terminal one. and when I went to log on It could not be done, in fairness I have used AIS for the last 4 years with no problem, but 3 times in a row put me right of them.

I have an old Samsung cost me about $40,good enough for me but reading through these posts I realize there are some good smart guys that talk decentley when you have a problem and will help you.Good on you boys

I don't wish to take advantage of all the helpful posters who have come on to this thread, but can I ask, how do I make sure when I go for a top up, that my internet is topped up and not my phone, or vice versa?

Yeah sounds like a classic case of being connecte dto the internet, and this can cost 1 baht a minute.

As suggested disable, data connection.

or better still, flush the bloody thing down the toilet & buy a phone which is only a phone (as they should be)!!!

One-2-Call is the pre-paid brand name for AIS. I assumed that you have One-2-Call as you have mentioned AIS, and pre-paid balance(s)?

Why did AIS hassle you about your lap-top? Please try to share as much detail about your situation, equipment, location, budget and requirements up front as all these details can contribute to clear and concise recommendation.

If you read post 44, I really appreciate all you are doing to help me Lomatopo. I bought a second hand Ipad one to more or less replace my laptop and AIS could not help me, but I understand why, I have now bought a new smartphone which you already know about. I just think it would be great to have the internet with me all the time, hence the smartphone. I have taken the advice from some of the posters about not losing any more money, then I will go and see about which top up suits me.

Yeah sounds like a classic case of being connecte dto the internet, and this can cost 1 baht a minute.

As suggested disable, data connection.

or better still, flush the bloody thing down the toilet & buy a phone which is only a phone (as they should be)!!!

Hehehe...

Remind me of the folks who cursed motorcars a hundred years ago.

Those da_mn noisy machines scaring all the horses on the road.

• Like 1

I have an old Samsung cost me about $40,good enough for me but reading through these posts I realize there are some good smart guys that talk decentley when you have a problem and will help you.Good on you boys

I could not agree more.

Two choices:

And tell your friends to NOT send email attachments!!

but can I ask, how do I make sure when I go for a top up, that my internet is topped up and not my phone, or vice versa?

You add value (top up) your account, simply put, the phone number, rather than your internet account or your voice account or your text account.

Any usage is then deducted from your account. If you make a call, the charge for that call (round up to the next minute and add 7% VAT) gets deducted from your account. If you send a text, the fee for that gets deducted from your account. If you subscribe to a monthly recurring mobile data plan, the fee (again add 7%) gets deducted on the day of the month when your plan automagically renews. If you are connected to the internet, and have not subscribed to a mobile data plan then your account gets deducted 1.07 baht for each minute you are connected to the internet.

FWIW, it doesn't look like AIS has any 2100 MHz 3G deployed in Phi Chit province as of today.

be very very careful, in the very early days of mobile internet I ended up with a 60,000B phone bill due to this and my very first BlackBerry... True decided to take me off the unlimited data package, sent a SMS notice in Thai that I dismissed as the usual spam.. doh!

but can I ask, how do I make sure when I go for a top up, that my internet is topped up and not my phone, or vice versa?

You add value (top up) your account, simply put, the phone number, rather than your internet account or your voice account or your text account.

Any usage is then deducted from your account. If you make a call, the charge for that call (round up to the next minute and add 7% VAT) gets deducted from your account. If you send a text, the fee for that gets deducted from your account. If you subscribe to a monthly recurring mobile data plan, the fee (again add 7%) gets deducted on the day of the month when your plan automagically renews. If you are connected to the internet, and have not subscribed to a mobile data plan then your account gets deducted 1.07 baht for each minute you are connected to the internet.

FWIW, it doesn't look like AIS has any 2100 MHz 3G deployed in Phi Chit province as of today.

Thanks, that's a great help, I understand it ok, so If for example I subscribe to a plan that costs 200 Baht per month, I just make sure I have that at least in my phone when the money is due every month, and AIS or whoever take it from my phone. AIS has shops in Phitsanulok and Nakhon Sawan, these are the nearest cities to where I stay, in fact I'm going to Phitsanulok on Monday.

it looks like there is an application running in the background that consumes a lot of data. Just switch off the cellular data.

This is my first smartphone, can you tell me how to switch off the cellular data?

Two choices:

And tell your friends to NOT send email attachments!!

I unchecked "use packet data" and it just keeps coming on again, do you know how I can stop this? and if any e-mail attachments come I will not open them.

it looks like there is an application running in the background that consumes a lot of data. Just switch off the cellular data.

This is my first smartphone, can you tell me how to switch off the cellular data?

Same as switching off packet data. Packet data, cellular data, mobile data - same.

I'm embarrassed to say I had the same problem when I bought my first so called smartphone.

I must have wasted about 2000 baht before I plugged the drain.

It's not like you're born knowing this stuff!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/508904-net-access-with-samsung-galaxy-mini-android-smartphone/?p=5102371

I agree i topped up 1000 when i bought my iphone next day it was gone and i was like <deleted>... Had to have my 15yr old neighbor explain it to me. Glad i wasnt the only schmuck in the world...

I must have been one of the lucky ones, as all of this was explained to me by the AIS staff when I first bought my iPhone, so prior to getting a package deal, I was already aware that I had to go to 'Settings' ... 'General' ... 'Networks' ... 'Cellular Data' ... On/Off.