What to Look for When Taking Over the Ownership of a Partially-Built House?

I have the chance to take possession of a partially-built house whose construction was started by my good friend whose job situation is now forcing him to leave LOS and return to the UK. He and his English speaking builder showed me all the floor plans, build permits / inspections(?) documents, etc., and say that everything is in order with the house build.

The house is a bare, 'rough-finished(?)' shell, consisting of bare concrete walls, ceilings and floors, the roof and sewer pipes are installed, electrical (3-wire) conduits protrude out of wall openings, temp(?) wood window frames are installed but no doors. It looks as though all that is left to do is to begin the interior work ....

I have very little house building knowledge, other than what I have occasionally read in this forum over the years

My question is: What do I need to know, to look for, to verify the quality and to make sure there is nothing wrong with the build of the house as it now stands?

Edited by thailoht

Like pulling a strand of spagetti from a big plate covered in sauce, you don't know how long it is til you find the end of it. There is much that can bite you. Do your self a favor and have the building and foundation inspected by an expat architect or construction manager.

Like pulling a strand of spaghetti from a big plate covered in sauce, you don't know how long it is til you find the end of it. There is much that can bite you. Do your self a favor and have the building and foundation inspected by an expat architect or construction manager.

Having the building and foundation inspected sounds like an excellent suggestion and a good place to start! thumbsup.gif What other steps can I take to help determine the build quality of the house and also to reaffirm that its paperwork is in good standing?

Edited by thailoht

Need to check that the workers, contractors and suppliers have been paid. Get the names and phones of the electrician, plumbing workers (hesitate to call the local yokels plumbers), a/c installer (you will need such unless buying a/c from Power Buy or similar and get their installation). Verify the plumbing and sewage disposals. Your biggest hair-pulling concern will be getting reliable workers, so make sure you have those lined up. Wall construction will be a major consideration also the iron work for the gate and any fencing. The windows and doors can be bought ready-made or built to order by a joinery shop, but will have to have the hinges and locks installed. Flooring will be a big item, and tilesetting for the showers and any floors/walls is very easy to bugger up so get a good tilesetter (my last one cost 100 baht/sq meter, very good work).

If you do it then can actually be good fun, but make sure you do thorough inspection every day while the workers are there. Don't get in the way but let them know you are watching.

• Like 1

I used these guys to check my house before i signed contract: http://www.checkcon.com/

You are a life saver.... I will be calling these guys right away!

Need to check that the workers, contractors and suppliers have been paid. Get the names and phones of the electrician, plumbing workers (hesitate to call the local yokels plumbers), a/c installer (you will need such unless buying a/c from Power Buy or similar and get their installation). Verify the plumbing and sewage disposals. Your biggest hair-pulling concern will be getting reliable workers, so make sure you have those lined up. Wall construction will be a major consideration also the iron work for the gate and any fencing. The windows and doors can be bought ready-made or built to order by a joinery shop, but will have to have the hinges and locks installed. Flooring will be a big item, and tilesetting for the showers and any floors/walls is very easy to bugger up so get a good tilesetter (my last one cost 100 baht/sq meter, very good work).

If you do it then can actually be good fun, but make sure you do thorough inspection every day while the workers are there. Don't get in the way but let them know you are watching.

Thanks, I will definitely be using this list whenever the construction resumes! I will probably be going with the English speaking construction mgr that my friend, the original house owner, hired. While it will be his job to delegate the work, I intend to be there 'over looking' the work, but out of the way.

Get a good lawyer to look at the paperwork, title deed, contracts, in who's name, how will you be in control? etc.

Another excellent suggestion!!! I'll get right on it!

I used these guys to check my house before i signed contract: http://www.checkcon.com/

The OP mentions "build permits" what, in Thailand. I had an extension built on to my big house, only really a room for myself with my computer etc cost 55000 Baht but no "build permits"

'It's my perception' that in more tightly run (or larger?) communities, there are more regulations, whereas in the more rural areas and districts a property owner has more 'leeway'.

The OP mentions "build permits" what, in Thailand. I had an extension built on to my big house, only really a room for myself with my computer etc cost 55000 Baht but no "build permits"

That's right. nly large firms like BigC supermarkets need building permits! That is good some times and bad in others. We have had a large electrical workshop constructed next to us. Just the luck of the draw.

walk away and start your own house

less trouble, specially if not all taxes and people were paid

forced to leave, aka out of money ?

+1

Got to say your advise if spot on. Don't get involved in some building project of someone else.

Start it from Stage 1 and don't get involved in someone else project.

designed a whole house and had it built , the only "paperwork" was a yalk with the village chief to get the house number

Like pulling a strand of spaghetti from a big plate covered in sauce, you don't know how long it is til you find the end of it. There is much that can bite you. Do your self a favor and have the building and foundation inspected by an expat architect or construction manager.

Having the building and foundation inspected sounds like an excellent suggestion and a good place to start! thumbsup.gif What other steps can I take to help determine the build quality of the house and also to reaffirm that its paperwork is in good standing?

I would make sure that all the paper work can be transfered to another owner .........

You are a life saver.... I will be calling these guys right away!

Thanks, I will definitely be using this list whenever the construction resumes! I will probably be going with the English speaking construction mgr that my friend, the original house owner, hired. While it will be his job to delegate the work, I intend to be there 'over looking' the work, but out of the way.

On my house I was there everyday checked everything ,, still a few snaffoos you wont catch them all ...

Yep, I never heard of building permits and I have built 2 houses, renovated another house, added 160 sq ft storage room, and build on an extra room. Never had a permit for anything. I wish there was a permit system when I look at the mess eh I mean the building that is across the street from one of my houses.

I suggest the first and most important factor in any matter regarding a house in Thailand be it in a city, town or former rice field is do you own (control via wife etc) the land the house is on and the immediate land around it?

I know of a man with a lovely house that is very well built and equipped yet has a noisy low level factory within 4 metres of his side wall and a new built house that partly overlooks his garden occupied by a semi-drunk who's sole pass-time is watching what the farang does all day.

Worth spending the money to ensure you control the enviroment your house is in, and that generally means empty space and not Somchai's tire burning enterprise or Lek's bell tuning factory.

Houses can be fixed - neighborhoods can not.

• Like 2

I suggest the first and most important factor in any matter regarding a house in Thailand be it in a city, town or former rice field is do you own (control via wife etc) the land the house is on and the immediate land around it?

I know of a man with a lovely house that is very well built and equipped yet has a noisy low level factory within 4 metres of his side wall and a new built house that partly overlooks his garden occupied by a semi-drunk who's sole pass-time is watching what the farang does all day.

Worth spending the money to ensure you control the enviroment your house is in, and that generally means empty space and not Somchai's tire burning enterprise or Lek's bell tuning factory.

know the feeling built the house 2 years ago in the field , closest neibour 300 meter away , was nice for 1 yer till my neibour in the back decide to built a hose also , got 6 rai right behind my place guess where he built the house , 4 meter from the bedrooms of mine , because it is a bit closer to utilities

Of another farang house I know. The land adjoining his plot is owned by a relative of his wife, there a series of rented rooms were built was little control over the quality of the residents and the rain runs off of the building's roof into his side of a boundary wall causing the periodic flooding to be his problem not theirs.

Space is important - and when I've written here before "Good fences make good neighbors" people misunderstand the importance/meaning of the saying.

Yep, I never heard of building permits and I have built 2 houses, renovated another house, added 160 sq ft storage room, and build on an extra room. Never had a permit for anything. I wish there was a permit system when I look at the mess eh I mean the building that is across the street from one of my houses.

There is a new house not long built across the road from mine, it has some corrugated iron at the front of it. It does not really bother me, people should be able to do what they like within there own property, as long as they do not interfere with anyone else.

walk away and start your own house

less trouble, specially if not all taxes and people were paid

forced to leave, aka out of money ?

+1

Got to say your advise if spot on. Don't get involved in some building project of someone else.

Start it from Stage 1 and don't get involved in someone else project.

Ordinarily, I would agree, though not as enthusiastically: I would have much more expertise in this area and the project would have to pass thorough inspections.

In this case, the original owner was a good friend who oftened talked to me about the progress of his house construction - he was looking forward to living in it. We just never anticipated this current situation.

So, I look at this as a rare opportunity with my knowing the house owner, something about its construction as well as the builder.

Worth spending the money to ensure you control the environment your house is in, and that generally means empty space and not Somchai's tire burning enterprise or Lek's bell tuning factory.

An excellent point!!

You have to remember you are in Thailand . Who is ever going to be qualified to inspect the property ? If the present structure is faulty , then what ? It is almost certain the foundation would not meet British standards ; so what do you do pull it down and start again ? Surely you have a friend who has experience and an eye for building .

I find most Thai builders are capable of building you a house that is habitable and won't fall down on you , that keeps the rain off .

This house has building plans , permits , has to be above average in Thailand . I would continue with the same builder , who will have his skilled labourers , neighbours will tell you the best electrician or plumber , for supplies check out local builders merchants for doors and windows , take the builder with you , or go to your local "Global House".

Ask your friend how much the builder charges , to have an idea . Most builders have very competitive prices for construction , you buy all the materials , the builder will write you a list in thai or come with you to buy . You are not in Britain where there are stringent building regulations . Things to watch out for are stairs with a concrete overhead lintel that you can't pass a wardrobe under to go upstairs , stairs too steep and narrow , treads not deep enough , like a ladder . Inspection pits don't seem to exist here and lavatory stink pipes are a taboo , but will save you from having unwelcome odors in the bathroom . If toilets or basins are yet to fit , make sure the seal is under the toilet and U bends under the basin , there is a tendency here not so see the need for either . Good Luck !!!

• Like 1

Reading some of the other comments , bearing in mind you're maybe in or near a major uban area . In or near Bangkok , Pattaya , or some other major city there may be some regulations .

I live in rural northeastern Thailand , Isaan ; here there is no planning permisson , building regulations or taxes , you have a piece of land , you build what you like , concrete and corrugated iron , clapboard upstairs , windows are standard to fit the frames . Ive seen houses here with walls creates out of rice bags sandwiched between wire frame as used in concrete flooring .

I read some people say not to take on a partially built structure , to build new . If the house is well on the way to complete and you like what you see , finish it ; but if it isn't quite your style , better to build new .

The reason you need a construction permit (from the Or Bor Tor) is that without it the local office won't issue a Tabien Baan for that house.

And without a Tabien Baan you can't get electricity or water connected.