Thailand's Transport Minister gets taste of Bangkok public bus

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 52 bus one day, I discovered that not all the passengers were human. I wonder if he would enjoy the taste of that. Coincidentally and ironically, I was conducting a full-scale brown banded Roach War in my apartment during that time period.

Pic #1) Driver area with homey treats and plants.

Pic #2) Spare, knitted, gearshift ball insulator that was dangling behind driver's seat showing

one of it's several, six-legged inhabitants (brown banded cockroach) out for a stroll.

post-120659-0-58170100-1372394980_thumb.

post-120659-0-71049600-1372395008_thumb.

Edited by MaxYakov

Flight to catch? That's what I call light travel. No luggage, no briefcase, no jacket??

In his limo.

and flying where?

For further consultations with the big boss regarding the treasure chest?

The plan to borrow 2 Trillion Baht to finance infrastructure projects is expected to see the ghost of corruption return to haunt the Yingluck Shinawatra government once again.

It seems the "big boss", former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has made preparations for these various transport mega-projects. Thaksin has had Chadchart Sittipunt, whom he trusts, promoted from the position of deputy transport minister to become transport minister.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Bt2-trillion-plan-raises-fears-of-graft-30198552.html

How much of that 2 Trillion has he slotted for Bangkok busses?

He wants to make a positive difference?

Spend more time cutting down the corruption within his own ministry, for which he was recently promoted in to run.

Edited by acer98

The question as whether this incident is a positive move or just a publicity stunt will be answered eventually if we see any real improvement in public transport services.

Right now it's a 'wait, see and cross your fingers but don't hold your breath' type of moment.

Plenty of opportunity to do that in the Land of Smiles.

Well, at least he didn't end up in the hospital from getting frustrated and trying to blow up the bus and suffering serious burns to his lips on the exhaust pipe.

Oh, gee, did I really just say that? whistling.gif

Edited by Just1Voice

How wonderful and so very, very rare in the Kingdom: a public official actually mixing with the public, visibly, and without trappings of status like a motorcade, etc. If this is any indication of things to come, I think it will be so powerful for Thailand.

Why so euphoric? The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's be sensible and wait to see if anything is done to improve the BKK transport situation. Anybody who has lived here for any reasonable amount of time and has his fingers on the pulse will know all about smoke and mirrors. How long ago did Thaksin promise to cure BKK's traffic problems?

If this is a cynical view then it is so because the events of the past decade or so (some would put a much longer time scale on it) have made me so. If this is an expression of good intent I would remind folks that the pathway to hell is paved with them.

Well at least he appears to be trying to do something right. Good for him.

This is a good man. I've been to his house, been out to dinner with him. He's western educated, forward thinking and is sincere in trying to make Thailand a better place. And he's not a politician. He was appointed to the position after working many years in the government transport sector, including the Airports of Thailand.

I'll take your word for that, but why am I thinking of an ant and the Boulder Dam?.

Gets a taste of....

Don't tell me he licked the handrail.

Was the bus packed? Was he groped?

sorry you're out of luck. this is thailand. not going to happen even on the most packed buses.

Your mileage may vary. wink.png

The missus and two of her sisters have all been groped on Bangkok buses.

I've witnessed other incidents myself.

It may be more subtle than what your used to and less discernible to observe, but it is absolutely present.

Such is human nature, there's no exclusion here.

If this becomes common knowledge every bus will be packed with randy grannies. laugh.png

• Like 1

How wonderful and so very, very rare in the Kingdom: a public official actually mixing with the public, visibly, and without trappings of status like a motorcade, etc. If this is any indication of things to come, I think it will be so powerful for Thailand.

Why so euphoric? The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's be sensible and wait to see if anything is done to improve the BKK transport situation. Anybody who has lived here for any reasonable amount of time and has his fingers on the pulse will know all about smoke and mirrors. How long ago did Thaksin promise to cure BKK's traffic problems?

If this is a cynical view then it is so because the events of the past decade or so (some would put a much longer time scale on it) have made me so. If this is an expression of good intent I would remind folks that the pathway to hell is paved with them.

Nothing wrong with a little optimism once in a while. That's even if Thailand's image is as tarnished as the crack of a bargirl's...aw I just want to taunt some mod...glad I'm not living is sumdum place called Kata...

Edited by Unkomoncents

Impress me by doing it every day, minus the cameras.

His role, if undertaken with purpose (as it appears he is doing), is to experience, assess, then re mediate in any & all ways possible. I commend his actions and take the high ground saying he wants to do what he can within his area of influence to work the problems.

Doing it daily, in his appointed role, is not a good use of his time. But if you're looking for a part time job.....,

Well at least he appears to be trying to do something right. Good for him.

This is a good man. I've been to his house, been out to dinner with him. He's western educated, forward thinking and is sincere in trying to make Thailand a better place. And he's not a politician. He was appointed to the position after working many years in the government transport sector, including the Airports of Thailand.

I'm SO glad to see someone share a human side on a Thai government official here. Thanks! So many TV posters who look at the glass half full here. I applaud the guy as well.

My mother twice told me...., "if you can't say something nice...., shut your mouth..., before I slap a bar of soap in it". It had minimal impact on first run. Second occasion...., having not taken full heed to her words...., made a lasting impression.

your living in dreamland im afraid,he wont be mixing with the masses for that long,,back to the free aircon car im thinking,,,,nice photo op a nation reporter there,,convenient,,or just maybe hes after a cabinet place,,or he knows its going ti-ts up for ys,and wants his constituants to see hes a man of the people,,,,,or am i being just a tad cynicall,,,whatever,,,,,,,unless hes on smack hes the only one in bangkok who doesnt know about the traffic,,,it is his department afterall,,,,,coffee1.gif

Exactly, this has to be more than a meaningless publicity stunt. Was he taken to the bus stop in his official car, he was certainly collected after the bus journey as he had a ( freebie ? ) flight to catch ?

I remember many years ago when I worked in Hong Kong a government official responded to the endless complaints about noise from the old Kai Tak airport by a showy display of spending the night in an ordinary hosing block in the Kowloon City area under the flight path.

He emerged the next morning amazed at all the fuss about noise as he had " a great night's sleep " but was subjected to massive ridicule when the media took great pleasure in reminding everyone Kai Tak closed overnight because of the noise.

Agree, simply a publicity stunt, how convenient for a photographer to be there, also from another source, he got on the bus, bit decided it was taking too long, so got off and call his official car.

• Like 1

IN Channel is reporting that he was supposedly trying to get to Swampy by public transport but was FORCED to call for his official car otherwise he was going to be late.

Nice to have a fallback position as the rest of us have to leave very early for a flight and sit in the bus or taxi with fingers croseed if the traffic is heavy.

Nice to know that he didn't have the brains to check the bus schedule, an what thinking person, would take the bus to swampy, for the first time, to catch a plane, the guy is either a <deleted> or liar....oh, wait, he a politician...he's both. Just a publicity stunt, pity they lose so much face with their stupid stunts, and then expect "thinking, educated" people to believe them.

• Like 1

I foolishly took a taxi from Ekamai down to the Nana area a few days ago, mid afternoon, shouldn,t be too bad trafickwise I thought. Never again ! The congestion has worsened considerably in the last couple of years and from now on it,s the Skytrain for me.

Nice to know that he didn't have the brains to check the bus schedule, an what thinking person, would take the bus to swampy, for the first time, to catch a plane, the guy is either a <deleted> or liar....oh, wait, he a politician...he's both. Just a publicity stunt, pity they lose so much face with their stupid stunts, and then expect "thinking, educated" people to believe them.

you obviously know absolutely zero about bkk buses so little in fact that i doubt you have even been to bkk.

while back there was a very brave tourism minister who would walk around kao san road area and actually speak to farang backpackers.

Edited by ttwitt

you obviously know absolutely zero about bkk buses so little in fact that i doubt you have even been to bkk.

Been many times, know enough not to take the bus to swampy, take taxi or Skytrain. Look fool, he is the "Transport Minister," a call to his subordinates would have provided him with the info he needs, especially if he needed to catch a plane. If he can not catch a bus or can not get a schedule, then why is he the minister, oh of course, the traffic...then he should be working on ways to reduce traffic e.g. during peak hours certain roads are ONLY for taxis/tuk tuk's and buses, this might force some people to leave their cars and bikes home.

Ahhh Mr. T., wasn't he the Transport Minister of the day that announced he was going to carry out an aerial survey, by helicopter, of the massive BKK traffic jams? Correct me if Im wrong but didn't he cancel this splendid idea after having got stuck in one of these jams and couldn't get to the airport.

What about just using public transportation for the sole purpose of saving his taxpayers money instead of being driven in his motorcade??? Amazing Thailand

"Transport Minister Gets Taste Of Bangkok Public Bus"

Did the Transport Minister really get a 'taste' of a Bangkok Public Bus? Did he need a tetanus and/or rabies inoculation afterwards? The 'bus stop' doesn't really look like the typical bus stops I have in my neighbourhood with passengers dropped off / boarding at their own risk while the bus almost comes to a halt. Anyway, nice photo-op, a real man of the people.

BTW the OP seems to have missed telling us the MoT did catch his low-price airline flight and whether or not the flight was delayed waiting for him, apart from who may or may not pay the bill.

• Like 2

IN Channel is reporting that he was supposedly trying to get to Swampy by public transport but was FORCED to call for his official car otherwise he was going to be late.

Nice to have a fallback position as the rest of us have to leave very early for a flight and sit in the bus or taxi with fingers croseed if the traffic is heavy.

The Nation report above addresses this subject:

Later the minister sent the reporter an SMS saying he had to have his driver pick him up at Victory Monument so he would not miss his flight.
  • Like 1

The only picture I saw was of him sitting at a bus stop by himself.

Conveniently the Nation had a man there with a camera.

It is not the transits fault that he had to wait half an hour. He should have found out what the scheduled bus time was before conveniently sitting in public by himself with only a Nation Camera man there.

Did he even get on a bus?

I think it would be a good idea for all politicians to ride the buses but with out the fan fare just get on the bus like any one else. In fact dress down.

Show a picture of them getting off the bus dressed like a factory worker.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2

Why all the negative comments here on TV? Give the guy some credit, public stunt or not. And keep the cameras on.

This is exactly what should happen more by the guys in public service. They should taste their own "medicine" in full view of cameras and the public. This is the only way to get a change for the better as it would be a loss of face for them to face sub-standard service repeatedly from a ministry they are in charge off, in front of their supporters.

unfortunately he didn't actually get a taste of his own medicine as he simply called for his official car as the bus was too slow for his purposes.

Now will he decide something has to be done about the buses or will he simply think " I'm not trying that nonsense again " ?

His role, if undertaken with purpose (as it appears he is doing), is to experience, assess, then re mediate in any & all ways possible. I commend his actions and take the high ground saying he wants to do what he can within his area of influence to work the problems.

Doing it daily, in his appointed role, is not a good use of his time. But if you're looking for a part time job.....,

I will bare my arse in Bourke street if this chap does anything other that steal money and lie. I know a politician too (a nice guy) and was a little stunned when he was elected and all he and his entire family could talk about was the money they were going to steal. Really, they touched on nothing else.Nothing!

Why all the negative comments here on TV? Give the guy some credit, public stunt or not. And keep the cameras on.

This is exactly what should happen more by the guys in public service. They should taste their own "medicine" in full view of cameras and the public. This is the only way to get a change for the better as it would be a loss of face for them to face sub-standard service repeatedly from a ministry they are in charge off, in front of their supporters.

unfortunately he didn't actually get a taste of his own medicine as he simply called for his official car as the bus was too slow for his purposes.

Now will he decide something has to be done about the buses or will he simply think " I'm not trying that nonsense again " ?

He tasted it, didn't like it and had to call for his private car. Hopefully he will taste it again and if he still doesn't like it he will try to improve it. Give the guy a chance to do what he set out to do.