Ministry of Foreign Affairs document notarisation

Ministry of Foreign Affairs document notarisation

Anybody have any experience of this. I was in the process of opening a stock brokerage account in Vietnam and one of the requirements is notarisation of passport copy by the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs (also UK embassy and VN embassy - yes that's three - I know, do I need to invest in VN that badly?).

I have a feeling if I go out all the way to Chang Wattana I will be bounced from pillar to post with multiple "cannot"'s, "No hab"'s, "not do here"'s. Alternatively I could turn up and see a sign above a counter position saying "Notarisartion service". Can't see any mention on website

SO: Would like to know if anyone can tell me which from past experience of dealing with requirement of document notarisation by Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Edited by PoorSucker
Duplicate thread, left link in other section.

Some District Offices require MFA notarization of passports when applying for a House Registration document (Yellow Tabian Baan). This requires one to get a certified copy from their embassy and have it translated into Thai for certification (notarization) by Thailand MFA. I had to do this and used an approved translation agent to handle the process once I received the Embassy certification. This was about 1500 baht and took several weeks. Others have reported less time and some did all the running by themselves to save money.

Don't know of a notarisation department, only a legalisation department where they certify dcuments from the Thai government and documents from foreign embassies/consulates in Thailand.

Not at immirgaiton, but at consular department before the small road to immirgaiton. 3rd floor.

When I applied for my yellow book, I had to get a certified true copy of my passport from the US Embassy, have bio page translated into Thai and have that "legalized by the MFA.

Not at immirgaiton, but at consular department before the small road to immirgaiton. 3rd floor.

That "small road" (Soi 7) is actually a six lane divided soi. Not really small at all. Consular building is second building past that soi going west. Most people will have the translation agency take care of this process.

Had to get a notarised copy f my passport last month.

First get a certified copy from your embassy

Second get it translated by one of the translating services on the ground floor of the ministry building

Then get the notarised copy later same day

The translation and certification would only need to be done if it was for use here in Thailand.

For any certified copy of a document for use outside of Thailand the best or only choice may be your embassy.

When I applied for my yellow book, I had to get a certified true copy of my passport from the US Embassy, have bio page translated into Thai and have that "legalized by the MFA.

So......... they couldn't just look at your passport and establish it was real. What a load of paper pushing d@@cks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for replies - your bringing up point about translations needing MoFA notaisation put me onto asking a translation bureau if they cold arrange it and they could - saving me a trip to Soon Karatchatkan and the joys I would have experienced there.

Cost was Bt1200 - yes I know that MoFA probably charges something like Bt150-300 and now I mention it some Thaivisa reader know somewhere that does full service for Bt600, but I did not have time to look for cheaper quote/do myself - the Bt600 or whatever difference was worth it to me for the convenience.

I will give the people I used a plug as they also quoted me Bt1000 for translation + notarisation (by Lawyer not MoFA) of a bank statement - other quotes I got were Bt3000 i.e 1500 translation and 1500 notarise or bt2000 just to notarise a document so I think they deserve to be plugged even though I am sure there are cheaper out there, as there are also considerably more expensive options out there..

Company is Ploenchit Translation Center just along from the skytrain entrance to Ploenchit Center (convenient for Brit Embassy). I am not affiliated in any way other than as customer.

Edited by mokwit

I am thinking about getting the yellow house book and it has been mentioned that I need the "certified true copy of my passport". However I am a bit confused as to the process of "certification" at the USA embassy. I know the embassy provides notarial services as well as affidavits (sworn statements). But so called certification doesn't seem to be possible. So can anyone tell me exactly what they did at the USA embassy that met the "certification" requirement for the yellow house book?

The embassy will do a certified copy of passport which will cost you $50. This will satisfy the Amphoe after you get that translated and certified by the MFA.

You should check with local Amphoe because some do not require it.

The embassy will do a certified copy of passport which will cost you $50. This will satisfy the Amphoe after you get that translated and certified by the MFA.

You should check with local Amphoe because some do not require it.

The reason I ask is because from the embassy website they say:

"Certification of True Copies of Documents

We often get requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records. Unfortunately, our offices cannot ordinarily provide certified true copies of documents. Such requests should usually be addressed to the office which issued the document in question. For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them. For more information, please consult the Department of State Travel site."

What you would get would be a certified copy without the true and correct for the passport.

Although you would think they could do the true and correct part for a passport.

Just having copy with the embassy stamp is normally good enough.

What you would get would be a certified copy without the true and correct for the passport.

Although you would think they could do the true and correct part for a passport.

Just having copy with the embassy stamp is normally good enough.

Thanks for the clarification. I had also emailed the embassy and they just replied with pretty much the same information.

Edited by Ken