False start for Phuket murder trial of Swedish man

webfact

actually it is quite a common occurrence in Thailand, but the ironic thing is the defendant has to pay everyone's fees still, even the judge.

Proof please , and not uninformed prejudice

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

actually it is quite a common occurrence in Thailand, but the ironic thing is the defendant has to pay everyone's fees still, even the judge.

Sometimes lawyers here do not show up, especially defense lawyers or even the accused in civil cases, and especially when the accused are fighting the case as a stalling tactic not to pay something which is clearly documented they have to pay. I won't go into details, but I've seen this myself more than once. The usual line is sending a lackey from the office to tell the court "Sorry he can't come, he's sick". In criminal cases it is much more uncommon as the defence want to put on a good image.

In civil cases the defendant does not have to pay as stated by pikeybkk above, as the administrative court charges are paid by the plaintiff. In criminal cases I'm not sure who pays - but I think the Public Prosecutor's office does.

I have seen a judge say, "if the prosecutor's witness isn't here by lunch, we won't accept his testimony", although that was after the first no-show.

Sometimes lawyers here do not show up, especially defense lawyers or even the accused in civil cases, and especially when the accused are fighting the case as a stalling tactic not to pay something which is clearly documented they have to pay. I won't go into details, but I've seen this myself more than once. The usual line is sending a lackey from the office to tell the court "Sorry he can't come, he's sick". In criminal cases it is much more uncommon as the defence want to put on a good image.

In civil cases the defendant does not have to pay as stated by pikeybkk above, as the administrative court charges are paid by the plaintiff. In criminal cases I'm not sure who pays - but I think the Public Prosecutor's office does.

I have seen a judge say, "if the prosecutor's witness isn't here by lunch, we won't accept his testimony", although that was after the first no-show.

I am sure, that this is a tactic to delay, especially in civil cases, but on the other hand how many times you can do this, without pissing the judge off? I was told by a lawyer that in divorce cases if you do not show up you loose your right to tell your side of the story. My comment was more about that the defendant has to pay for all of this, that is for sure not true.

Edited by hanuman2543