I want a LOUD phone, because I'm 50% deaf. Ideas?

Because I have no hearing right side and 85% left side, I need a loud phone. Loud ringer and loud louspeaker, so I can hear it ring and also hear people talking.

Preferable a basic phone. No smartphone wanted because I use it to talk and text and maybe take the odd photo.

Has anyone got a loud phone as above that is not too old that it is no longer sold? Make and model would be great, thanks.

I've spent a couple of days at Tukom trying more phones than I can imagine yet most of them are so quiet. Some very helpful people there trying phones for me, but also some who outright refuse to let you try them.

The Nokia C2 was great for hearing people talk but not very good for the ringing volume.

The Nokia Classic I looked for is no longer available. The Samsung I had that died the other day is no longer available either. So I'm in need of help here :)

As I said, I went to Tukom 2 days checking phones. Even with the volumes set to maximum they are still too quiet, especially on the ring side..

SMS / Text is not quite the same as hearing the phone when people do ring.

My old classic Nokia and the old Samsung could be heard in different rooms in the house. Sadly they are no longer available. Hence me asking if others have got phones that are really loud :)

The internet lists a lot of loud phones but those models are not available here and I've checked dozens of shops.

I'm not being rude pattayadingo, what about a hearing aid?

Correct, Hearing Aids is the solution to those problems. But sometimes the hearing Aids get all the back ground noise, i have one at the moment, some hearing Aids have another switch specially for phones.

Correct, Hearing Aids is the solution to those problems. But sometimes the hearing Aids get all the back ground noise, i have one at the moment, some hearing Aids have another switch specially for phones.

Friend of mines very deaf in 2 ears. He has hearing aids then when his phone rings he takes 1 aid out to talk.

• Like 2

I have in-canal hearing aids, can hardly hear a phone ring without them in. Having said that, I just bought a Samsung Duos smartphone.......good loud ringer and vibrator. I often use the speaker phone at home.....more convenient than holding and I can hear the sound just fine.

I denied needing hearing aids for 10 or so years......my youngest brother berated me for not getting hearing aids 3 years ago......that did the trick. Like everything, they take getting used to, but they make all the difference in the world.

Money well spent!

• Like 1

Not rude at all.

But, I've been there and done that. Total faff on with phones etc. Plus all they do - even the computer generated ones - is amplify everything. When everything amplified goes in one ear alone, it causes disorientation. (There will be those who dispute this and those who will agree with me - not going into that argument here) :)

You manage and control your environment to live with the deafness in most instances.

For some reason here in Thailand, getting a phone with a decent volume ringtone AND volume to hear people clearly seems to be a problem. I did manage to get the Nokia classic but no longer available. Same with the Samsung - bought in England.

Hence the post :)

I cannot be the only deaf old git on the board after all laugh.png

I am completely deaf in my right ear and 50% deaf in the left one. I have hearing aids that automatically revert to mode 4 when you hold a phone close to the ear.

A standard cheap Nokia 105 works for me and even without the hearing aid I can hear the caller speak. One tip that my son gave me was to turn the phone around, so that your ear is pressing against the back of the phone and the screen is facing away from your head. That way the callers voice is a little clearer.

Edited by Sirius1935

There is a phone especially for deaf people called EMPORIA very loud. MY wife hates it because if it rings at night it wakes the whole neighbor hood up. Big lit up ketboard for elderly people no silly toys or games. NO GPRS only SMS and contacts. very simple and robust.

I once saw a man who had an external speaker set, so that the sound came off the speaker and it had a microphone to it too. He had a wristband which would vibrate if the phone rang and a button on the band to start and end calls. I believe it worked on Bluetooth and could be paired with any BT-compatible phone.

Also, the Nokia 101 dual sim is very loud and only 999 baht. And it has a speaker on the back, so as mentioned above, you can always switch the speaker phone on during calls and hold the back against your ear to hear better - downside is that everyone this side of the Mekong will also hear it :D Put it on vibrate and keep close to your body and it will alert you for calls and txt messages.

• Like 1

Many phones have the possibility to use mp3 sound, so you chose the sound you want you can with some software amplify the sound, save it to your phone and make the setting. i for myself use a cocoricoooo that was amplified and believe me when i pay the bill in lotus or other store everyone 300 meters far look what is happen !

• Like 1

I am also hearing impaired about the same as you and I use a Samsung model SGH--A667.

You can ser the ringer to increase the ring volume each time it rings. You can hear it in a noisy

Room.

If I can't hear with thenphone up to my ear, I turn it to speaker and put the speaker close to my ear.

If you wear hearing aids, most modern hearing aids have a feature that allows you to leave your hearing aid in while answering the phone. You get a little magnet from the hearing aid folks to place on you phone

And when you answer the phone the magnet get close to the hearing aid and adjust the volume automatically.

There is a company called Harris that has all kind of hearing impaired products, from home phones

To cell phones.

A blue tooth device is what I use if I am mowing the yard. I can't feel the phone vibrate when it rings.

Raybo

• Like 1

I have in-canal hearing aids, can hardly hear a phone ring without them in. Having said that, I just bought a Samsung Duos smartphone.......good loud ringer and vibrator. I often use the speaker phone at home.....more convenient than holding and I can hear the sound just fine.

I denied needing hearing aids for 10 or so years......my youngest brother berated me for not getting hearing aids 3 years ago......that did the trick. Like everything, they take getting used to, but they make all the difference in the world.

Money well spent!

Money well spent, but how much money?

Hi Pattayadingo, wow great, a real subject to discuss! Yea, my hearing has suffered over the years. I know that you wrote that you miss your phone ringing, I can not hear to well so I have to turn on the speaker, then get distortion. SoundID SIX Bluetooth earpiece works with any phone with Bluetooth, for me most of all, it has a special feature called “Surround Sound” works great as an aid to hearing.

Old but still can run for a bus..

• Like 1

I am in similar circumstances. Fairly deaf and could rarely hear my phone ring. I purchased a Samsung Mini Galaxy GT S5570 which solved my problem. Not sure if still available but any Samsung that replaced it should be similar as far as ringing sound.

• Like 1

The problem with phones like that is that everyone else within a wide range can also be disturbed by it - esp where quiet is important. Why don't u get one with a strong vibration mode and put it where you will feel it easily?

The problem with phones like that is that everyone else within a wide range can also be disturbed by it - esp where quiet is important. Why don't u get one with a strong vibration mode and put it where you will feel it easily?

You cannot feel a vibration when the phone is on the table or in another room.

If anyone would be disturbed by my phone ringing loudly that would be a rarity, not as if it is ringing lots of times per day. And in a quiet place it would be heard and answered quickly enough so I do not really see that as a problem.

Money well spent!

I did see a Duos yesterday. I'll look at and listen to one next time I drop into Tukom.

Thanks fopr the tip on the phone.

There is a phone especially for deaf people called EMPORIA very loud. MY wife hates it because if it rings at night it wakes the whole neighbor hood up. Big lit up ketboard for elderly people no silly toys or games. NO GPRS only SMS and contacts. very simple and robust.

I read about those on the RNID website. They sound great but sadly not available here in Thailand that I am aware of.

If I had one that loud I'd have to turn it off / down at night, not that that would be a problem.

When I do next go to the U.K. I'd certainly be considering one of those.

I am also hearing impaired about the same as you and I use a Samsung model SGH--A667.

You can ser the ringer to increase the ring volume each time it rings. You can hear it in a noisy

Room.

If I can't hear with thenphone up to my ear, I turn it to speaker and put the speaker close to my ear.

If you wear hearing aids, most modern hearing aids have a feature that allows you to leave your hearing aid in while answering the phone. You get a little magnet from the hearing aid folks to place on you phone

And when you answer the phone the magnet get close to the hearing aid and adjust the volume automatically.

There is a company called Harris that has all kind of hearing impaired products, from home phones

To cell phones.

A blue tooth device is what I use if I am mowing the yard. I can't feel the phone vibrate when it rings.

Raybo

Thanks for that information.

I'll make a note of that phone number too and check it out when I next go hunting for a phone.

Comments like these are very helpful, especially after trying lots of phones in shops and coming out after a long time without finding one suitable.