TOT Fiber Optic in the city - Good or bad?

PoodMaiDai

We have the 3bb premium package that is good for non-Thai sites but for the past month the service has been atrocious with it only working 1/2 of the time and their support is more or less than helpful, so it's time to move on.

Anyone have a TOT fiber optic connection? The other option was the wi-fi Nano Station but TOT is pushing the fiber option saying the wi-fi is for people outside of the city.

What say you?

I have ToT Fiber... Its decent for the most part. Still have the limitation of the available bandwidth at the International gateway. It has been performing less than ideal recently. Not down, just random unusual latency. Another person in Chiang Mai, using Fiber is also experiencing the same symptoms the past couple weeks.

About 2 weeks ago, I did have an outage lasting 3 days. It took 9 calls before they actually came to fix (on their end, not the CPE).

If you are leaving 3BB in hopes of getting better support, your not going to find anything better.

3BB and CAT are also doing Fiber. From the people who I've talked to in the industry, True is still the best bet right now, as they seem to have the largest amount of international bandwidth at the moment. And FWIW, I've heard that True's customer support is also horrible.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

I have ToT Fiber... Its decent for the most part. Still have the limitation of the available bandwidth at the International gateway. It has been performing less than ideal recently. Not down, just random unusual latency. Another person in Chiang Mai, using Fiber is also experiencing the same symptoms the past couple weeks.

About 2 weeks ago, I did have an outage lasting 3 days. It took 9 calls before they actually came to fix (on their end, not the CPE).

If you are leaving 3BB in hopes of getting better support, your not going to find anything better.

3BB and CAT are also doing Fiber. From the people who I've talked to in the industry, True is still the best bet right now, as they seem to have the largest amount of international bandwidth at the moment. And FWIW, I've heard that True's customer support is also horrible.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

Well that just brought more dark clouds into my internet storm.

The bottom line for internet service upcountry is that he is not dependable. I classify TOT as the worst. They refuse to allocate additional international gateway bandwidth because do they don't have it available. The best upload that I can get from TOT is 420 kbps. It sucks. Fiber is not available in most places out side of Chiang Rai City. Not sure how they benifit from having free wifi in the city. It just eats up the bandwidth. I found it interesting the more people in Thailand are using mobile devices for internet than watching TV. I would gladly change or have more than one service if it was available.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

doubt that, considering true leases much of their bandwidth from cat.

ive had cat fiber and it was nearly flawless (10M+/3M+ intl) for all but one month when some cable got destroyed in nakhon sawan. on 3bb premier now and no complaints. service has been quite good for both. the more thai you speak, the better service gets in thailand, ime.

Edited by samsara

^^ 'Not sure how they benifit from having free wifi in the city. It just eats up the bandwidth.'

It does seem so. If true (accurate), subscribers are losing out on iNet speed in both directions. Who foots the actual bill,if any, for free wifi?

Many times when more than one isp is having problems it could be, in addition to normal problems, either the trunk into Thailand or some required upgrades to equipment or software (blocking, etc.) from the government.

My 3bb has and is fine as usual. I have 3bb Premiere and my download speeds from USA have actually doubled in the last few months.

I also have a 599 thb service a little over 20 km north of Chiang Mai and other than occasional dropped connections, unlike my premiere account, it also has better download speeds than before.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

It depends on where you're at. A few months ago, as soon as my one year contract with True expired, I switched from True to 3BB. True's internet service where I live on Nimmanhamin was terrible, and no amount of service calls would fix it. My 3BB service isn't fantastic but it's a huge improvement over True.

I was with True and was upgraded from 6 to 7 to 10 (cable) to 14MB, each upgrade was free of charge, and each upgrade brought with it a slower service. I am done with True, forever.