Iphones sold in Tuk-com Pattaya

sotsira

I've noticed that nearly all the small stalls are now selling Iphones that are genuine factory unlocked

for a few thousand baht cheaper than the main Apple dealers on the ground floor.

Iphone 5 selling for 19200bt at the stalls opposed to 24500bt at the Apple dealers.

Iphone 4S selling for around 13-15000bt at the stalls Apple dealers don't even have any to sell.

Iphone 4 selling for around 11000bt at the stalls Apple dealers selling them at 13900bt.

Anyone knows what the catch is with these lower priced iPhones as they are being sold as genuine

factory unlocked ?

Or are they just good deals that the Apple dealers can't match?

I got one a year ago, claimed to be factory unlocked. It's genuine but unlocked and with dodgy software. Means you can't update the software from the Apple site without rendering your phone useless.

I got one a year ago, claimed to be factory unlocked. It's genuine but unlocked and with dodgy software. Means you can't update the software from the Apple site without rendering your phone useless.

If it can't be updated by the Apple site then why in the world do you insist that it is genuine

If it can't be updated by the Apple site then why in the world do you insist that it is genuine

I didn't "insist", I merely stated. The hardware is genuine Apple hardware but it's been populated with dodgy software a la Thailand.

I bought a new 4 six months ago for 13800 and love it. I don't see them offered anymore. Great pics! When I buy my next one it will be 64 Gb. With pics and apps 16 Gb is too small.

They are not copies.

If you worry that much, silly ask for the serial number, to on to the apple website and it will search the serial number, if it is genuine, all details will show.

How are they able to sell them cheaper??

One reason is the phones, aren't from Thailand, they will originate from Korea, Japan and China.

I bought a mini iPad from TukCom whist on promotion and it cost 9,000 baht at the time it was 11,200 in apple resellers.

I went home checked the serial number, everything above board, it also stated it originally came from Japan.

If you want c ooh iPhone it will cost you around 2,000 baht.

Possibility it was jail broken to unlock the phone.

All iPhones are unlocked, unless they have come under contract.

I didn't "insist", I merely stated. The hardware is genuine Apple hardware but it's been populated with dodgy software a la Thailand.

What happens when you plug it into iTunes?

What happens when you plug it into iTunes?

You can use iTunes and download from the Apple store with no problem. Just don't update the software.

Ok, i thought it could be too good to be true.

Gsxrnz, if you don't mind me asking.

Which model did you buy and how much were they selling for?

Did you buy from one of the stalls in Tuk-com?

Got it from TukCom stalls. iphone 3 and from memory it was 8,000 baht. I've been told that I could take it to the Apple store and they could reinstall original software but have never bothered to find out if that's possible or what it would cost.

I am not big on referring shops, and not sure that I can on TV, but here goes. I bought a iPad mini from Ice Mobile at TukCom and can not be happier with service. He met the lowest price that I found at MBK in Bangkok, and he is always glad to help out with questions or assistance. Owners name is Whut (sounds like wood), and he has always helped me with my iPod and Samsung phone as well. I plan to buy an iPhone from him soon. Speaks very good English. I love having support after the sale, and he knows what he is talking about. Talk to him, and bargain, but he will stop when he can not make a profit. Makes sense. He does not sell copies of anything.

• Like 1

I bought a new 4 six months ago for 13800 and love it. I don't see them offered anymore. Great pics! When I buy my next one it will be 64 Gb. With pics and apps 16 Gb is too small.

Did you buy it from one of the small stalls at Tuk-com?

Was it a 4 or 4S ? as the main dealers are selling the Iphone 4 with 8GB for 13900bt

and the small stalls are selling the 4S 16GB between 13 - 14000bt.

Ok, i thought it could be too good to be true.

Gsxrnz, if you don't mind me asking.

Which model did you buy and how much were they selling for?

Did you buy from one of the stalls in Tuk-com?

Got it from TukCom stalls. iphone 3 and from memory it was 8,000 baht. I've been told that I could take it to the Apple store and they could reinstall original software but have never bothered to find out if that's possible or what it would cost.

Oh, if it's an iphone 3 then the last software update was issued in 2010 which was 4.2.1.

that is the last update applicable to that phone.

You can check in your phone settings to see if you have the latest version.

They are not copies.

If you worry that much, silly ask for the serial number, to on to the apple website and it will search the serial number, if it is genuine, all details will show.

How are they able to sell them cheaper??

One reason is the phones, aren't from Thailand, they will originate from Korea, Japan and China.

I bought a mini iPad from TukCom whist on promotion and it cost 9,000 baht at the time it was 11,200 in apple resellers.

I went home checked the serial number, everything above board, it also stated it originally came from Japan.

If you want c ooh iPhone it will cost you around 2,000 baht.

That seems to shed a different light on what is going on then.

If these phones are genuine factory unlocked then they are worth buying then,

or can you think of any disadvantages in buying them from these small stalls at Tuk-com ?

My dilemma is that i want to buy an Iphone 4S and the main Apple dealers don't stock them,

only the small stalls have them and they are relatively cheap at around 14k baht.

p.s What did your last sentence mean?

• 4 weeks later...

Bought 2 iphone 4's from Ice Mobile in Pattaya TukCom last year and they have both been great and they are genuine Apple. Have been buying mobiles from there for the last 3 years, use them then trade them in there and have always had good service and after sales care. They did offer us 2 different boxed iphones though. One type was in a larger box than the other and my wife asked why are the boxes bigger? Never really got a straight answer as its always too difficult and cant really be bothered and not really intereested. Looking back now I think one type came with a UK style charger and the other a smaller European charger, hence the box being bigger. Either way the iphones were Genuine after checking on the Apple site at the shop and like I say, no problems after 1 year and yes can update software, connect to itunes etc etc.