What Is Going On With The Mail Service In Los

jgbc

Hi all

Some suggestions of what is going on with the mail service in LOS please

To give you a picture…when I came back to UK recently after a great 5wks in the village with the gf…my neighbour another British guy gave me some jewellery that he apparently picked up in Pattaya for a ‘bargain’ B60k…his friend tells him it’s worth at least 2 times that in UK.

On showing some friends in the business in UK, they tell me it’s mass produced jewellery and no one would give me more than £500 for it.

I guess that tourist scam was going through my head when he told me where he’d bought it from.

However, it gets worse…as always

I decided to mail it to my gf to give back to him. This I sent in two packages through Royal Mail using their service Signed for International, each insured for £500. This only cost me about £15 to send. A bargain I thought.

Approx 5 days later one package arrived in her nearby town Thep Sathip which she collected without a problem.

5 days later she is called back to the local post office to be told that the other package is in Bangkok and she has to go there to collect it. Off she goes early this morning on a 4-5hr trip each way. When she gets there they tell her that because the package is insured for £500 she has to pay them B9500 to get it back…she didn’t have enough money so to add to the insult they tell her that for every day it stays there it’s going to cost an extra B120. If it’s not collected within 45 days it will be sent back to me here in UK.

What the h*ll is going on? Is this normal practice?

At the moment it looks like it will sit there and be sent back to me…if it isn’t lifted in the meantime.

thats customs duty I think.

Tell her she should refuse to take it, it goes back and you send it again.

Hi all

Some suggestions of what is going on with the mail service in LOS please

To give you a picture…when I came back to UK recently after a great 5wks in the village with the gf…my neighbour another British guy gave me some jewellery that he apparently picked up in Pattaya for a ‘bargain’ B60k…his friend tells him it’s worth at least 2 times that in UK.

On showing some friends in the business in UK, they tell me it’s mass produced jewellery and no one would give me more than £500 for it.

I guess that tourist scam was going through my head when he told me where he’d bought it from.

However, it gets worse…as always

I decided to mail it to my gf to give back to him. This I sent in two packages through Royal Mail using their service Signed for International, each insured for £500. This only cost me about £15 to send. A bargain I thought.

Approx 5 days later one package arrived in her nearby town Thep Sathip which she collected without a problem.

5 days later she is called back to the local post office to be told that the other package is in Bangkok and she has to go there to collect it. Off she goes early this morning on a 4-5hr trip each way. When she gets there they tell her that because the package is insured for £500 she has to pay them B9500 to get it back…she didn’t have enough money so to add to the insult they tell her that for every day it stays there it’s going to cost an extra B120. If it’s not collected within 45 days it will be sent back to me here in UK.

What the h*ll is going on? Is this normal practice?

At the moment it looks like it will sit there and be sent back to me…if it isn’t lifted in the meantime.

I would say a lot worse you get a 33/33/33 chance, the last 33 % is that it get lost.

I send a lot things and specially to UK a lot get lost, so it might be the other way the same....

On my imports from Australia, China, HK and Europe it happend a few times that the customs was crazy and I had to let it go back or reroute (I guess not possible on normal post) to a other country.

Best way is to just send it registered in an airbubble envelope, that worked always for me, but if it is lost it is lost.....

or alternaive you can send it per FedEx (expensive) and mark "only documents". My mother does sometimes from Austria, sending me sausage and food, making the envelope full that it looks like a ball, but the never looked at it (I guess highly illegal, thought if the ever take it, I tell my mother is very old and weired).

Nothing above is a recommendation, just my experiences....

hi h90

I was thinking the same thing...but if I send it again...isn't it 50/50 that the same thing will happen

either it'll get to her village or stuck in Bkk again

h90

thanks for the insight...I'll wait for it to be returned to me...If I'm lucky enough to see it again

It's insured but I'll have to then get hold of a receipt to show the value...daft really as they don't see what's in the package they already insured

h90

thanks for the insight...I'll wait for it to be returned to me...If I'm lucky enough to see it again

It's insured but I'll have to then get hold of a receipt to show the value...daft really as they don't see what's in the package they already insured

If it is not collected soon, you will never see it again. :o

h90

Makes me feel better I tested the mail service with someone elses property...I don't think that'll make the owner laugh at the situation though

If the mail had got there I was going to send my gf her mobile she here before...now I think I should just let her buy a new one :D

if insured at 500 Pounds, but only half of it, it might be the best thing what can happen.....

i don't know how it works with UK-TH, but if you send something from Austria to somewhere else and it get lost and you want to see money.......

To say it in Thai style: you must die and get born again to see any money....

h90

if insured at 500 Pounds, but only half of it, it might be the best thing what can happen.....

i don't know how it works with UK-TH, but if you send something from Austria to somewhere else and it get lost and you want to see money.......

h90

thats a reasonable point...if they cough up for it being lost...I expect them to be awkward in paying the full amount but then what business does like paying out

do you know how they work out that the duty is B9500? It seems a bit much to me when the package value is only approx B33500k

excuse if there are some mistakes, but it works something like that:

((value+shipping costs)"not the real shipping costs some statistic shipping costs)x a strange exchange rate x customs duty (not sure if that is the right english word) x 7 % VAT)+maybe some strange fees= the total

but juwelerie might be different.

But does an original invoice exist? You can try to show it to the customs officer and explain that it is from Origin Thailand. But I have my doubts that this will impress him...

h90

thats a reasonable point...if they cough up for it being lost...I expect them to be awkward in paying the full amount but then what business does like paying out

do you know how they work out that the duty is B9500? It seems a bit much to me when the package value is only approx B33500k

h90

yeah I think it's going to be the 'strange' exchange rates and the 'strange' fees putting up the price...obviously they don't know it's jewellery...or it would have gone missing already

I imported from Thailand a couple of containers about a year ago...I can't remember what the figures were now but I think the overall costs to get them in the UK had a similar sting in the tail...but at least I knew where the figures were coming from