Where can we find workers for coffee shop here in Pattaya?

stockholm1995

Ok Lemoncake, you want retail.

When I upgraded the wheels on my Pickup the salesperson whom I initially dealt with was the person (due to the place being very busy) ended up lifting my pickup to remove old wheels, fitted my new tyres to my new rims, balanced them then put back on my pickup then proceeded to do my wheel alignment.

After he came back from a test drive to ensure all was OK he then processed my credit card through the swipe machine then finalised my purchase on the computer/till then handed me my receipt along with a V.I.P card that had my name/telephone number and vehicle make/model and rego plate written in clear and concise English.

And here you go, no doubt your story is not made up, but i was pretty clear to name company's known and where staff can be seen, this does not include your work or your possible made up or not made up experiences.

For all you know , they guy serving you was the owner, because rest assured , very very very few are shown how to charge credit card

Your reply does not surprise me at all, in essence if you did not personally experience then every one is lying.

Am curious as to why you think a salesperson is not qualified to swipe a credit card......... as for the owner, he was sitting with me drinking a coffee one of his other staff prepared for us(possibly she was the one who scrubs the toilets).

Edited by Spoonman

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic is about

Not about Pick Up Trucks, Tesco, Powerbuy, Homepro, Makro, McDonalds, Hotels and Tops.

I apologise for going off topic just that some moron claims people here cannot be trained to multitask.

I'll leave it at that and let the task of coffee makers get back on topic.

The topic is about

Not about Pick Up Trucks, Tesco, Powerbuy, Homepro, Makro, McDonalds, Hotels and Tops.

I apologise for going off topic just that some moron claims people here cannot be trained to multitask.

I'll leave it at that and let the task of coffee makers get back on topic.

As oppose to moron who thinks his personal experience makes it unilateral factswhistling.gif

When I upgraded the wheels on my Pickup the salesperson whom I initially dealt with was the person (due to the place being very busy) ended up lifting my pickup to remove old wheels, fitted my new tyres to my new rims, balanced them then put back on my pickup then proceeded to do my wheel alignment.

After he came back from a test drive to ensure all was OK he then processed my credit card through the swipe machine then finalised my purchase on the computer/till then handed me my receipt along with a V.I.P card that had my name/telephone number and vehicle make/model and rego plate written in clear and concise English.

And here you go, no doubt your story is not made up, but i was pretty clear to name company's known and where staff can be seen, this does not include your work or your possible made up or not made up experiences.

For all you know , they guy serving you was the owner, because rest assured , very very very few are shown how to charge credit card

Your reply does not surprise me at all, in essence if you did not personally experience then every one is lying.

Am curious as to why you think a salesperson is not qualified to swipe a credit card......... as for the owner, he was sitting with me drinking a coffee one of his other staff prepared for us(possibly she was the one who scrubs the toilets).

Because most of the time, they do not check signatures, enter wrong amounts, cancel sales and do refunds, ie open to fraud, but you right, you know more, and no surprise there about owner sitting with you drinking coffee. cheesy.gif

One reason , why cashiers are the only ones who work with cash and machines.

Thank God for internet, where any story is a good onerolleyes.gif

Edited by lemoncake

Exactly the same problem here and paying well above minimum wage.

It is extremely difficult to find staff. My partner in Bangkok has the exact same problem.

For coffee shop staff I would also start at minimum wage with a realistic incentive to double this based on performance. A percentage of the turnover for example.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The subject was staffing a coffee shop and some posters suggested salaries for friendly, cross trained, multitasking employees pays dividends to successful businesses over time. One poster in particular has nothing to offer but condescending remarks. Obviously that poster and I haven't been to the same Starbucks or Macdonalds or Burger King or the Carl's Jr at CF. These are American companies and yes they are not run like a Tesco, Homeworks or a Central Department herein Pattaya.

I ordered a hamburger at Carl's recently. There were two counter people, one took my order order and money, brought the food to the table, then started wiping down tables and changed the the plastic liners in the garbage bins. I then spilled my drink on the floor. It was the manager who brought out the mop and a new cup and cleaned up the mess. It was a team effort and many customers remember service like that.

Exactly the same problem here and paying well above minimum wage.

It is extremely difficult to find staff. My partner in Bangkok has the exact same problem.

For coffee shop staff I would also start at minimum wage with a realistic incentive to double this based on performance. A percentage of the turnover for example.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think we discussed it on another thread with you, its not about money, but about work being fun and close to home.

Offering hire salary brings same people

The subject was staffing a coffee shop and some posters suggested salaries for friendly, cross trained, multitasking employees pays dividends to successful businesses over time. One poster in particular has nothing to offer but condescending remarks. Obviously that poster and I haven't been to the same Starbucks or Macdonalds or Burger King or the Carl's Jr at CF. These are American companies and yes they are not run like a Tesco, Homeworks or a Central Department herein Pattaya.

I ordered a hamburger at Carl's recently. There were two counter people, one took my order order and money, brought the food to the table, then started wiping down tables and changed the the plastic liners in the garbage bins. I then spilled my drink on the floor. It was the manager who brought out the mop and a new cup and cleaned up the mess. It was a team effort and many customers remember service like that.

While your experience and observations are extremely useful , how does it address the OP?

Despite your poor attempt at a flame, i actually am on the ground, do have a business and have offered advice, not only to salary but places to find staff, while you on the other hand have done nothing but post useless observation of what YOU think is good staff and where YOU think they can be found, relevance of which is still to be found

• Like 1

Because most of the time, they do not check signatures, enter wrong amounts, cancel sales and do refunds, ie open to fraud, but you right, you know more, and no surprise there about owner sitting with you drinking coffee. :cheesy:

Thank God for internet, where any story is a good one:rolleyes:

I have used my American Express cc at Starbucks and Au Bon Pain in Bangkok. Once, the slip was converted to USD and not in THB so I insisted the transaction be voided. The barista (note, not cashier) needed help from the manager (but it was a training experience). The transaction was done again in THB.

Because most of the time, they do not check signatures, enter wrong amounts, cancel sales and do refunds, ie open to fraud, but you right, you know more, and no surprise there about owner sitting with you drinking coffee. :cheesy:

Thank God for internet, where any story is a good one:rolleyes:

I have used my American Express cc at Starbucks and Au Bon Pain in Bangkok. Once, the slip was converted to USD and not in THB so I insisted the transaction be voided. The barista (note, not cashier) needed help from the manager (but it was a training experience). The transaction was done again in THB.

Yeah ok

The OP wants staff (2) for a small coffee shop. I doubt that the passing trade would be so huge that one person would be required chain themselves to the coffee machine and do nothing but make coffee all shift.

The popular coffee shops in Australia DO need one or two baristas continuously making coffee from a multi group machine, particularly on weekends when the demand is at a peak. But we're talking about a small shop in central Pattaya. Is the demand for fresh coffee so great that the barista couldn't pull the coffee and take it to the customers' table?

The question would be: do you need a fully trained barista that does nothing but make coffee and thinks it's belittling to have to serve tables, or do you want somebody who can make coffee and is prepared to multi-task? Of most importance, is finding staff that know how to make coffee properly, and that includes a full knowledge of the various coffee beans and being allowed to order the best beans from the best supplier, regardless of price. Sadly, this is why so many coffee shops in Pattaya fail to attract regular customers, other than those who aren't particular what they drink. (...and it seems that those of you who admit drinking coffee from Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Coffee World etc, wouldn't know a good coffee from a cup of dish water. whistling.gif )

I urge you Pattaya people to try a cup of coffee from Banjamit's and compare their product to other Pattaya outlets, including those big name coffee chains. Benjamit rates highly.

Having said that, I would love to find an outlet on the other side of town that can also produce a superior cup of coffee. In that regard, I look forward to finding the OP's shop, trying his coffee and perhaps becoming a regular customer.

I hope his staff issues have all been sorted by then.

At this point we do not even know what kind of coffee machine we are talking about. Is it a Bon Cafe Vienna that every idiot can operate (press THIS button AFTER you put the cup HERE) or a rather complex pro machine that costs also pro money.

At this point we do not even know what kind of coffee machine we are talking about. Is it a Bon Cafe Vienna that every idiot can operate (press THIS button AFTER you put the cup HERE) or a rather complex pro machine that costs also pro money.

or even if there is a coffee machine, many Thais like instant Nescafe.

I have one of those and you would be surprised how long it takes to train "some" on how to press the button.

It gets even more complex teaching the amount to chose(the knob that controls size of cup)

Then there is the steam.

Once have over come the basics of pushing the button, the next step is to train on how to add water, coffee and empty the used coffee tray.laugh.png

• Like 1

The OP wants staff (2) for a small coffee shop. I doubt that the passing trade would be so huge that one person would be required chain themselves to the coffee machine and do nothing but make coffee all shift.

The popular coffee shops in Australia DO need one or two baristas continuously making coffee from a multi group machine, particularly on weekends when the demand is at a peak. But we're talking about a small shop in central Pattaya. Is the demand for fresh coffee so great that the barista couldn't pull the coffee and take it to the customers' table?

The question would be: do you need a fully trained barista that does nothing but make coffee and thinks it's belittling to have to serve tables, or do you want somebody who can make coffee and is prepared to multi-task? Of most importance, is finding staff that know how to make coffee properly, and that includes a full knowledge of the various coffee beans and being allowed to order the best beans from the best supplier, regardless of price. Sadly, this is why so many coffee shops in Pattaya fail to attract regular customers, other than those who aren't particular what they drink. (...and it seems that those of you who admit drinking coffee from Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Coffee World etc, wouldn't know a good coffee from a cup of dish water. whistling.gif )

I urge you Pattaya people to try a cup of coffee from Banjamit's and compare their product to other Pattaya outlets, including those big name coffee chains. Benjamit rates highly.

Having said that, I would love to find an outlet on the other side of town that can also produce a superior cup of coffee. In that regard, I look forward to finding the OP's shop, trying his coffee and perhaps becoming a regular customer.

I hope his staff issues have all been sorted by then.

Coffee is not different to anything other food and all comes down to personal taste.

OP at this point not complaining about staff not doing their job, at this point he can not find staff and ones who come go MIA after a few days.

I run advertising non stop for the past 3 years, and just past month fired 5 people, one fired just minutes ago,

Between 1st of each month to about 7th, sometimes i get 10 calls per day, and lucky if one shows up for interview. Some months, lucky to get 2 calls.

Just keep on hiring even when you have enough, because week later you may not have any at all

Coffee is not different to anything other food and all comes down to personal taste.

OP at this point not complaining about staff not doing their job, at this point he can not find staff and ones who come go MIA after a few days.

When you walk into a coffee shop and order a milk based coffee, you want to be able to taste the coffee. That taste should be strong enough to linger on the palate for a period of time after you have left the shop. Most coffee shops serve, what is supposed to be their top notch coffee, but you can only taste the hot milk, not the coffee.

Starbucks use a cheap, inferior coffee bean in all their outlets. Any discerning coffee drinker will walk past their shops and buy elsewhere.

I have been to many of Pattaya's coffee shops where turnover of fresh bean coffee is so poor that their beans are stale. A case of over-ordering. When you take a look at how they store their beans, you immediately understand why you will never return to their shop. Some of Pattaya's coffee shops only offer instant. <deleted> !!!!!

You can't blame the lack of staff for serving poor quality coffee. You can't blame poorly trained staff for serving poor quality coffee either.

If you are going to open a coffee shop, it should be your aim to serve the best coffee possible. If the business owner knows nothing about coffee, he can only hope that his customers know nothing about coffee too.

The OP has gone to ground. He indicated in a previous post that he doesn't want to pay above the minimum wage for his staff. If the minimum wage fails to attract knowledgeable, experienced, enthusiastic employees, then I fear that the OP will also be penny pinching when is comes to supplying food and beverages, resulting in a low quality product.

It really all boils down to your target customer. If you prefer to attract the Starbuck type customers, then poor quality coffee might be good enough.

When you walk into a coffee shop and order a milk based coffee, you want to be able to taste the coffee. That taste should be strong enough to linger on the palate for a period of time after you have left the shop. Most coffee shops serve, what is supposed to be their top notch coffee, but you can only taste the hot milk, not the coffee.

Starbucks use a cheap, inferior coffee bean in all their outlets. Any discerning coffee drinker will walk past their shops and buy elsewhere.

I have been to many of Pattaya's coffee shops where turnover of fresh bean coffee is so poor that their beans are stale. A case of over-ordering. When you take a look at how they store their beans, you immediately understand why you will never return to their shop. Some of Pattaya's coffee shops only offer instant. <deleted> !!!!!

You can't blame the lack of staff for serving poor quality coffee. You can't blame poorly trained staff for serving poor quality coffee either.

If you are going to open a coffee shop, it should be your aim to serve the best coffee possible. If the business owner knows nothing about coffee, he can only hope that his customers know nothing about coffee too.

The OP has gone to ground. He indicated in a previous post that he doesn't want to pay above the minimum wage for his staff. If the minimum wage fails to attract knowledgeable, experienced, enthusiastic employees, then I fear that the OP will also be penny pinching when is comes to supplying food and beverages, resulting in a low quality product.

It really all boils down to your target customer. If you prefer to attract the Starbuck type customers, then poor quality coffee might be good enough.

again, taste of coffee is personal taste and how you like yours does not mean how i like minethumbsup.gif

People want quality but do not want to pay for it, it does not work this way.

Coffee and coffee machines are more expansive in Thailand than the West, so if you want to have a really good cup, be prepared to pay up to 150 baht, but in most cases if you do pay 150 baht, many would be whining about the price.

Again, coffee shop staff are not skilled labor, as skilled labor does not work in coffee shops and before they can get higher salary , they need to show they can actually do the work better than a monkey

I have one of those and you would be surprised how long it takes to train "some" on how to press the button.

It gets even more complex teaching the amount to chose(the knob that controls size of cup)

Then there is the steam.

Once have over come the basics of pushing the button, the next step is to train on how to add water, coffee and empty the used coffee tray.laugh.png

Valid point. A friend of mine used to work for Bon Cafe. They had service calls to clean up the mess after staff filled instant coffee in....

• Like 1

OK, your a coffee connaisseur, I think we get that. I don't think the op is even remotely looking at producing that level of quality coffee nor is he likely going to be able to find staff qualified enough to produce this level of product.

Coffee and coffee machines are more expansive in Thailand than the West, so if you want to have a really good cup, be prepared to pay up to 150 baht, but in most cases if you do pay 150 baht, many would be whining about the price.

Anyone paying more than 50bht for a coffee needs their head examined.

My local coffee shop sells locally grown organic coffee for 30bht (hot) or 35bht (iced).

(the coffee machine originally cost 60kbht, if that's important)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

My local coffee shop sells locally grown organic coffee for 30bht (hot) or 35bht (iced).

and i rest my casewai2.gif

Please feel free to name company's who have multi skilled staff doing multiple jobs

Is this even a serious question? If it is, then you obviously have never been to a Starbucks. Here are a few more: Bake & Brew, Benjamit, and Pitini.

It sounds as though you are incapable of properly training your staff. You might want to start with yourself.

Pitnini in Pattaya???? you joking right? do some Google searching and see the reviewscheesy.gif

I am sure you can do a better job, naturally behind the keyboard rolleyes.gif

Pitini is one of my favorite places for coffee and a meal.

The staff is great. I don't know how he does it.

Please feel free to name company's who have multi skilled staff doing multiple jobs

Is this even a serious question? If it is, then you obviously have never been to a Starbucks. Here are a few more: Bake & Brew, Benjamit, and Pitini.

It sounds as though you are incapable of properly training your staff. You might want to start with yourself.

Pitnini in Pattaya???? you joking right? do some Google searching and see the reviewscheesy.gif

I am sure you can do a better job, naturally behind the keyboard rolleyes.gif

Pitini is one of my favorite places for coffee and a meal.

The staff is great. I don't know how he does it.

Reading numerous review complains, i also wonder how he is still in business

Bt.60,000 is pretty cheap for a coffee machine, do you know what the make and model are as I wouldn't mind one for home............hope I can train the missus to multitask and both mop the floor and make coffee.

• Like 2

Bt.60,000 is pretty cheap for a coffee machine, do you know what the make and model are as I wouldn't mind one for home............hope I can train the missus to multitask and both mop the floor and make coffee.

For someone who knows so much, so many owners who even have coffee with you, you sure do need to get out more.hence its sold through out most major retailers.

No doubt a store manager will have a chat with you, while sales staff check the machine