Customs when purchasing from other countries

LemonLady

It's most likely you will have to pay duties and VAT, based on my experiences. The duty I usually pay is 10-30% + 7% VAT, my regular orders are dvd and bluray discs, electronics and car parts. There is a minimum value, below which you don't have to pay, but it's quite low (maybe 1000 baht?).
I prefer shipping with standard shipping methods (or EMS), which get passed through Thailand Post (from the US, USPS is fine), as I had a higher chance to avoid duties there, and when there is a duty to be paid, they calculate it based on the parcel declared value, and add only 20 baht processing fee. The bad side is you have to pay and pick up personally at the post office, not delivered to home.
The big couriers (like DHL, FedEx, TNT) will calculate duties based on parcel declared value + shipping cost, which is usually over the duty free limit, and also add a higher (100-200 baht) processing fee.

The actual percentage (10-30%) is a mystery for me, I'm happy when they pick 10% :)

• Like 2

It's most likely you will have to pay duties and VAT, based on my experiences. The duty I usually pay is 10-30% + 7% VAT, my regular orders are dvd and bluray discs, electronics and car parts. There is a minimum value, below which you don't have to pay, but it's quite low (maybe 1000 baht?).

I prefer shipping with standard shipping methods (or EMS), which get passed through Thailand Post (from the US, USPS is fine), as I had a higher chance to avoid duties there, and when there is a duty to be paid, they calculate it based on the parcel declared value, and add only 20 baht processing fee. The bad side is you have to pay and pick up personally at the post office, not delivered to home.

The big couriers (like DHL, FedEx, TNT) will calculate duties based on parcel declared value + shipping cost, which is usually over the duty free limit, and also add a higher (100-200 baht) processing fee.

The actual percentage (10-30%) is a mystery for me, I'm happy when they pick 10% smile.png

Wow, 10-30% is a lot! Someone told me it was really low in Thailand but guess not :-) Sounds just about as complicated and expensive as here in Denmark.

It depends on the item and the shipper. The rates are posted on the Thai Customs web site, although it takes some work to get to the correct page. Thailand adopted some thing, I think it is called GATT, which defines the duties. VAT is VAT.

Google 'Thailand integrated tariff database' and the first website in the list of results should be the official list of customs tariffs. This website gives a complete breakdown of the import duties due on goods that are stopped at customs when coming into the country.

As the previous poster said, avoid using the major couriers and stick with the regular postal service of the country you're shipping from.

Google 'Thailand integrated tariff database' and the first website in the list of results should be the official list of customs tariffs. This website gives a complete breakdown of the import duties due on goods that are stopped at customs when coming into the country.

As the previous poster said, avoid using the major couriers and stick with the regular postal service of the country you're shipping from.

yes, but that "list" is only as good as the officials that "enforce" it.

i have had items (a box of stuff from my daughter) shipped twice..via USPS...declared value under $100 USD. I was charged 2000 baht "custom fees" at the thai post office in Sansai without the box ever being opened.

I asked the PO person how that is possible... when they don't even know what is inside?

THey said they would gladly open the box and impose full duties (and possible penalties for underdeclared value) on every single item... OR... i could just pay the 2K and leave with my unopened box.

I took the second option.

The actual percentage (10-30%) is a mystery for me, I'm happy when they pick 10% smile.png

Wow, 10-30% is a lot! Someone told me it was really low in Thailand but guess not :-) Sounds just about as complicated and expensive as here in Denmark.

It is usually more than 10%. Closer to 30%. Thailand is an export-based economy. Imports - not so welcome...

I have shipped many items to Thailand all by post from the UK, and todate have not lost anything, and generally DO NOT pay duties or VAT

On the declaration attached to the item, I would suggest you keep the value low and vague

If you use DHL / TNT/ FEDEX would will ihave additional cost

Courier company are okay for document deivered quickly if thats what you need

If you can wait 10 / 14 days regular post

I have shipped many items to Thailand all by post from the UK, and todate have not lost anything, and generally DO NOT pay duties or VAT

On the declaration attached to the item, I would suggest you keep the value low and vague

Fed X had a ATM card and a package of marshmallow Bunnies delivered to my cousin from her mother. The first thing Fed X did was send it to customs and customs sent a request to her mother on the value of the Marshmellow bunnies. they had a 5 day holiday and charged for storage. By the time my cousin got them the cost to her was over 1,500 baht on a 120 baht candy purchase. Fed X got the lions share of that for handling fees..

They tell you at the point of shipping what the cost will be point to point they do not mention handling charges if it and it will go to customs. I believe all the major carriers are the same take the advice you have been offered and have it mailesd with personal property marked on it and a low value. $19 or such.

Fed X had a ATM card and a package of marshmallow Bunnies delivered to my cousin from her mother. The first thing Fed X did was send it to customs and customs sent a request to her mother on the value of the Marshmellow bunnies. they had a 5 day holiday and charged for storage. By the time my cousin got them the cost to her was over 1,500 baht on a 120 baht candy purchase. Fed X got the lions share of that for handling fees..

Trying to sneak in marshmallow bunnies tax free........whatever next? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Trying to sneak in marshmallow bunnies tax free........whatever next? biggrin.png

It was my cousin.facepalm.gif

If I want candy I would try to sneak in some butterfinger bars.smile.png

Well actually I do want them but the wife would rat me out to my doctor.sad.png

I regularly import many products to thailand via air and sea cargo, my products are bulky so usually if the CIF value is less around 60 to 80 dollars and on the declaration and goods invoice you have mentioned personal use items and samples then the goods come via green channel or else customs charge duties, which depends on Import duties percentage. Duties on commodities may range anything from free to 40 percent of CIF value + Cess charge, so better declare them as samples under 40 to 50 dollars, there have been times when i have got material without duties and at times paid over 60000 baht.

Better to have port to port shipment and get goods cleared by self if the cost is pretty high and its bulky, In thailand you need not to be an shipping agent or duty clearance expert to go and talk to the customers. All you need to do is go to the port, submit your passport or any other id like wp or dl and they issue you an pass for 40 or 60 baht, which allows you to talk to custom officer incharge and get your goods cleared.

Once goods go to the red Chanel, you will have to pay some duties.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shipping method is important. Items over 1000 Baht sent by mail will be inspected and an exhorbitant fee charged. Items shipped by FEDEX, UPS, or DHL are rarely inspected and no fee at this end. I have received one of each and fee was 'prepaid'.

I routinely purchase DVDs from Amazon (& others). If the purchase price is under 1000 Baht ($30 US), there is never any question and they are delivered with the mail.

"Shipping method is important. Items over 1000 Baht sent by mail will be inspected and an exhorbitant fee charged. Items shipped by FEDEX, UPS, or DHL are rarely inspected and no fee at this end."

That is not my experience at all. Mail packages with value 8,000 baht have arrived repeatedly with no duty or inspection and almost all FEDEX, UPS and DHL have duty charges added.

• Like 1

"Shipping method is important. Items over 1000 Baht sent by mail will be inspected and an exhorbitant fee charged. Items shipped by FEDEX, UPS, or DHL are rarely inspected and no fee at this end."

That is not my experience at all. Mail packages with value 8,000 baht have arrived repeatedly with no duty or inspection and almost all FEDEX, UPS and DHL have duty charges added.

Same here.

Same here.

+2

He's got it backwards.

If I was to buy something from the US or Europe while in Thailand (and have it shipped to me in Thailand of course) would I have to pay any custom fees?

It all depends on the customs guy at the time processing your goods. I bought a $200 Polar heart rate monitor from the US and I paid no tax at all, I also bought some $200 motorbike boots from the UK and they hit me with a 4000 baht customs tax. Bought weight gain powder from the UK and paid nothing the first time then 800 baht the next time. Like I say all depends on day.

• Like 1

If I was to buy something from the US or Europe while in Thailand (and have it shipped to me in Thailand of course) would I have to pay any custom fees?

It all depends on the customs guy at the time processing your goods. I bought a $200 Polar heart rate monitor from the US and I paid no tax at all, I also bought some $200 motorbike boots from the UK and they hit me with a 4000 baht customs tax. Bought weight gain powder from the UK and paid nothing the first time then 800 baht the next time. Like I say all depends on day.

Very true, nothing happen as per books. Period

You can take measures , like invoicing them fairly, stating them as stuff for personal use and not commercial.

I just bought some clothes from the US and the company i bought from ships via iparcel who adds on the tax and vat to the shipping fee i paid. I dont mind because its so hard to find 5xl in thailand. Now tracking says its in thailand waiting on customs etc. i will keep u posted if thai postal try's to get more $ from me when they deliver

I just bought some clothes from the US and the company i bought from ships via iparcel who adds on the tax and vat to the shipping fee i paid. I dont mind because its so hard to find 5xl in thailand. Now tracking says its in thailand waiting on customs etc. i will keep u posted if thai postal try's to get more $ from me when they deliver

are you serious , do u think they will charge for ur clothes. I guess not, let dem know nowhere in thailand you can get 5x size so had no option left dan 2 order it outside thailand.

I received a hardback book yesterday which I ordered from Amazon. It was shipped by DHL from the USA and I paid DHL nothing. I just signed and the man left smiling and very polite.

I have two more books coming by UPS. I will try to remember to post the results.

In the past I received orders from Japan via EMS and did not pay anything. Lately I have had to pay VAT. Customs depends on what is sent.

As has been posted by myself and others, the Thai Customs web site has the duty rates. Since this new system has come into effect my experience is that the information on the web site has been accurate. I have received items through Thai Post, FedEx, DHL, and UPS with these results.

Still, as many have reported, it can vary.

Edited by hml367

I had a set of M/cycle sprockets and new chain sent from UK, £54 a bargin until the Thai customs added the equivalent in Baht.

I have had two M/Cycle helmets sent by post about B1000 on items costing approx £150.

I have had DVD's sent many times and no charge.

Books naturally come duty free.

My debit & credit cards come by Secure Delivery usually DHL no customs charge.

john

Standard international airmail delivery has worked for me every time but once in many years for books and DVDs. Not the crown jewels, of course. Do you recall the story how Britain's crown jewels crossed the Atlantic (by sea, not air, I believe) in WWII? I think they went to Canada. Do you think the Canadians charged duty?

• 9 months later...

I Recently sent an online order gift of sexy undies to my darling in Thailand..

Total cost of shipment from UK was 125 USD..

Order shipped from UK and tracked to Thailand in just 3 days....

Did not recieve notice of mailing from Thai post office for over 3 weeks...

Picked up at post office small envelope style package with 3 out fits inside..Fee not sure what fee..1200 thb...

opened the package two of the items all intact but the third package (my favorite)

was open an inspected very carefully I'm sure and roughly shoved back into the package...

Not sure what they did with those pantys at customs over 3 weeks but needless to say...

MY DARLING WOULD NOT WEAR THEM...LOL

soo I gave them to one of my Happy Hour girls and she loved them made her day...

But i not get fashion show ..YET..grrr

Note to self...NO more online sexy undies shipped from outside of Thailand ...cheers

The actual percentage (10-30%) is a mystery for me, I'm happy when they pick 1

i have been buying a few things lately, via e-bay, about 10 items in all and only payed import tax the once. It was on an item of around 40 GBP, the other items were a lot less) I can not remember exactly how much I paid but around 500 Baht.

I was told by MR Postie when I picked it up that anything under 3000 Baht there is no duty to pay...........However having lived her a while I would bet some TV's can tell me different.

If customs deem the item to be a 'luxury item' customs is very high. My last shipment of cigars from Phils, my cost just over $100 including shipping, cost over 3000B in customs fees. All receipts from the shipper were in the box which had been opened for inspection. The shipment was assessed by customs as a luxury item valued at 7000B value for customs fees payable. I submitted the written dispute of the charges, to no avail (of course). It was the first time my shipment had been intercepted for customs charges so I should not complain.