Nation Group to mark 43rd anniversary with open house event

Lite Beer

Nation Group to mark 43rd anniversary with open house event
The Nation on Sunday

30209387-01_big.jpg
Guests are welcome to observe the Convergent Newsroom.

BANGKOK: -- The Nation Group will host an open house event tomorrow to mark its 43rd anniversary.

The event starts at 8.30am and supporters of the group's various media are welcome - whether they are readers, sponsors, advertisers, viewers, listeners, or the group's digital media fans.

Alms will be offered to monks in the morning and guests are encouraged to meet and talk with the Nation Group's editors, reporters, news announcers and executives. Everyone is also welcome to observe the Convergent Newsroom and the production studios of Nation Channel, Krungthep Turakij TV, KidZone and Kom Chad Luek TV.

Chairman Suthichai Yoon will lead Nation Group's executives in greeting guests at its headquarters on Bang Na-Trat Road. The event is being organised to thank supporters of the Nation Group, according to veteran journalist Suthichai. Their unwavering support has helped the group maintain its professionalism and independence over the past 43 years of news production.

"This is an exciting year for the Nation Group. In addition to the expansion of media work in many areas since the beginning of the year, the Nation Group will take part in the bidding for digital TV licences in a few months," Suthichai said. "Digital TV will usher in a new era for the free TV industry. We are now ready in all areas."

The Nation Group also has a plan to expand into other Southeast Asian countries along with its media allies within the Asia News Network (ANN), which now has 22 member publications in 19 Asian countries, including this newspaper.

"Part of the plan is to invest in Myanmar to publish a new English-language newspaper there before the end of this year," Suthichai said. "Branch offices will be opened in different countries, such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Myanmar."

The Nation chairman urged guests not to bring flowers or presents. If they wish, he said, they may help support education by making a financial contribution to Nation University. "This will be a very meaningful act of merit-making on this special occasion," Suthichai said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-30

Given the terrible lacking of English language in the majority of Nation writing, and their inability to follow any internationally well-established journalistic best practices, such as performing true investigative research, following up with their reader base on any number of important matters (such as the abused Karen girls, for example), or taking on tough topics involving the powerful and/or wealthy, I can't understand why they would endevour to bring any of their lacking of capabilities to countries which don't have them.

Singapore

Hong Kong

Myanmar -- even Myanmar has far better English ability and their people not scared to challenge the rich and powerful and perform true journalism.

I can't really understand their goals for expansion. It doesn't add up. They bring nothing to those countries, and would be far better to focus their efforts on employing some decent English speakers and writers and learning how to truly be useful in their space. The entire image is completely amateurish.

• Like 1

I wish to thank the Nation for a job well done. I enjoyed listening to K. Suthichai in the evening on his talk radio broadcast, in the 90's. One of the conversations we had was about a young Thai, graduating top of class at the USAF Academy, which some people could not understand how a Thai man which came from a poor background would do that. My comment was that he had to be one of the best to qualify.

People criticize the Nation because it appears to be right leaning and support democracy, but I hope it up the good work and continues true democracy. Some governments have called them selves supporters of democracy, but were only in politics for the money. clap2.gif

• Like 1

I wish to thank the Nation for a job well done. I enjoyed listening to K. Suthichai in the evening on his talk radio broadcast, in the 90's. One of the conversations we had was about a young Thai, graduating top of class at the USAF Academy, which some people could not understand how a Thai man which came from a poor background would do that. My comment was that he had to be one of the best to qualify.

People criticize the Nation because it appears to be right leaning and support democracy, but I hope it up the good work and continues true democracy. Some governments have called them selves supporters of democracy, but were only in politics for the money. clap2.gif

Perhaps, but some of us criticise The Nation for their often juvenile writing style, horrid use of English-like language, timid opinion pieces and sometimes simply unintelligible rubbish. Whether or not we can agree with the opinions of the authors, we usually cannot even determine because the pieces most often either say nothing (and certainly nothing interesting) or cannot be deciphered by native English speakers.

• Like 1