Non B in Penang - do I need a WP?

Hi,

I just got a job offer from a company in Phuket. Now it's time to do a visa run and get a multiple entry Non B Visa. From what I'm reading here they require a WP? Is that so? How come? I don't have w WP yet as I'm here on a tourist visa (actually a 30 days extension of a tourist visa) and haven't started working yet.

So how to get a non B in Penang if I don't have a WP yet - I think I'll only get it once I have the non B visa (???). What documents to prepare?

By the way - I used to have a WP some time ago but I finished my cotnract and to be honest I never cancelled the WP, lost it when moving form BKK to Phuket.

By the way - is Penang the best place to go or maybe I should rather go to a different neighbouring country?
Edited by lopburi3
correct font

You need the non immigrant B visa to obtain the work permit but not to apply for it - you will need proof of that application to obtain the visa at adjacent consulates and it will only be single entry. Also you can not be issued a work permit if you have not canceled your previous permit in my understanding and that will involved a small fine.

This means that I'd have to start with cancelling my expired work permit (which I lost) so that my employer to be can start a new WP application yes?

Does anybody know where is the place to deal with it in Phuket?

Does it matter that my previus job was teaching in Bangkok and the next one is a non teaching job in Phuket?

u will NOT get a multiple entry without a WP and even to get the single u need the paper that the labor dept issues u that shows u have applied for the wp (forget the name).

Penang is easy for both,

takes one night

cost 220 MYR single

or 550 MYR multiple + 50MYR service charge from the agent i use

Plenty of thai lawyers in phuket will do all the paper work for you ( for a price of around 15-18,000)

This means that I'd have to start with cancelling my expired work permit (which I lost) so that my employer to be can start a new WP application yes?

Does anybody know where is the place to deal with it in Phuket?

Does it matter that my previus job was teaching in Bangkok and the next one is a non teaching job in Phuket?

Yes, go to the Labour Dept in Phuket Town (Saphan Hin Area, near to Vehicle Licensing Office) with a Thai speaker and they will give you a list of required paperwork from your employer and you for the WP1/WP3 application.

First of all just go to Labour and say you want to apply for new WP, don't mention the old BKK one, you may just be ok if they don't raise the issue.

If you have to cancel the old, lost WP, then you will need to make a Police Report that you lost your previous WP and you may possibly have to cancel it in BKK - again, check with Labour as to the procedure they require you to follow.

Phuket Labour are very picky on detail you will almost certainly need to make several visit to get the paperwork perfect for them, but the staff are friendly and helpful - you need a Thai speaker with you.

Ultimately what you need is a WP3 Receipt and a Letter of Acceptance from Labour to support a Single Entry 90 Day Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa application at Penang.

• Like 1