Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3

sensei

I am curious about the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3. I've been using an iPhone 4 since it came out. The iPhone's tiny screen is giving me a challenge in reading anything on it.

I am aware that the specs are lower than that of the S4 and the Note 2. It is just that the large screen size might be the best one for my aging eyes.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have used it, owns one, or have played around with it.

I also would like to know if it is already available in BKK and for how much.

Thanks!

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note, which is just a bit smaller than the Mega and has been very popular. Excellent Phone and media device. Can use it for reading a book while waiting for dentist, etc. Or watch a video. I saw it for 14k baht at Pantip Plaza several weeks ago. Note that the screen for the Note-2 is considerably improved over the original note and is considerably clearer than the Mega and almost the same size.

I did a quick search and didn't see any localized version of the mega. I did see some grey-market availability here.

A Note II has a 5.5 " screen.

Is a Note 8 too big?

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5163&idPhone2=4854

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5163&idPhone2=5252

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5398&idPhone2=4854

I've been looking for the Galaxy Mega everywhere in Pattaya... seems all the shops don't even know it exists? Not even the Samsung shop would help me out.

Also, the cheapest price for the Note 2 in here seems to be 16,900 (the Mega should come with this price tag as well). I would consider the Note 2 for 14K but I don't think any shop in here will do this price (the small shops still want 17,900 for it and 21,900 for the S4 which is 19,900 in the Samsung shop)

I would appreciate if someone could tell me any shop (in Bangkok too) where I can buy the Mega (also, what's their price?).

• Like 1

I just got the Galaxy Mega 6.3 in HK before flying back to Bangkok...Baht18K...it is great! basically replaces my iPad Mini... great for Netflix movies/TV shows, internet surfing, pics, camera, work emails, LINE, Whatsapp etc. etc.

My main phone is still the iPhone5 (with all my paid apps, music, appointments, financial data, electronic wallet etc.)

• Like 1

It looks like Samsung Thailand will be localizing both the Mega 5.8 and the Mega 6.3, and that they should be available "soon". The local grey-market price on the Mega 6.3 is 14,900, not sure if that will be the MSRP?

http://www.samsung.com/th/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphone

http://www.samsung.com/th/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphone/android-os/GT-I9200ZKETHL

So are these grey-market Megas actually physically available anywhere?

Probably challenging to find, even in Bangkok. I guess these sold out in the Philippines on launch last month.

You could troll the Thai tech and social forums, or maybe just wait a few days/weeks for Samsung/Thailand to launch?

Some quick reviews of Thai forums indicates that the Mega 6.3 will have an MSRP of 14,900 while the Mega 5.8 will have an MSRP of 12,500.

Edited by lomatopo

Hi guys,

update: According to the Facebook page, the official launch in the Philippines is tomorrow. So I called the Samsung shop in Terminal 21 (Asoke BTS).

They do have the Mega 6.3 but they say it is 17,900. Isn't that a bit pricey?

For this price I could get a VEGA No. 6 shipped from Korea via Ebay... the size is only slightly smaller but the specs are far superior (Full HD, Quad Core, 13 MP Camera, 32 GB internal memory vs. 720p, Dual Core, 8 MP Camera, an 8/16 GB internal memory)

Comparison here

There is also really cool videos on Youtube. What do you guys think?

Edit: Called Samsung in Central Festival Pattaya, they say they don't have it yet, but it should be there in a week. Price should be 14,900 he says blink.png

Edited by MaikB84
  • Like 1

2 in stock? One black and the other is white I suppose.

I guess this is Samsung's "little" experiment throwing out products out there trying to see if people would want it.

I definitely want one. I hope to see it. I want to see if it fits in my pocket.

Will anyone make one you can read in Sunlight, i hate the Dam things.Designed for Moles. Cant they coppy Aircraft Displays. . Those idiots who show you Pics on their Mobile, when your outside need a Doctor.crazy.gif

I hear you should be able to read in sunlight with the Mega as it is a LCD display, not AMOLED.

Btw available now in Pattaya too at 14,900.

Thanks MaikB84 for the sensible responses.

Review here LINK

Your link just links to this page?

Edited by MaikB84

Im a tad annoyed,my Wife bought me a New Sam Ace, and a Galaxy S4 for herself, i sold the Ace to a Friend,he messed about with it and confusion then reigned in my P.C. Google contacts got wiped out and apps disappeared. Now im back witha 950Bht 3G Ello/By By cheapo.Untill friends push Pics under my nose over our Suday Lunch Slurp they can stick em where he Sun Dont Shine..Use the GPS on the S4 and the battery runs out fast,plus it shuts off in seconds.Il just wait till they make one for Sunny Days.coffee1.gif

I recently bought a new Note 2 for 15,000 in Tukcom, Pattaya. It's a gray import without Thai warranty, but that's ok, I've never needed warranty for any of my phones - the one time I cracked the screen on a phone they refused to cover it under warranty (understandable, it was my own fault for dropping it).

The Note 2 is a great phone, only annoyance is the cartoonish design Samsung deliver standard with their phones, but installing Nova Launcher made it look like a real Android phone again.

Battery life is incredible - my previous Nexus Galaxy would generally run out of juice by the evening, the Note 2 with the much larger screen goes on like the energizer bunny until well into the next day - and only takes around 2 hours to fully recharge. I don't know what they did to the battery technology but it works.

• Like 1

@Phil
The Note 2 is actually one of my options but I guess it is getting long in the tooth. The Note 3 will be coming out early September. That'll give me only around two months to stare at my shiny new toy.

@MaikB48
Wrong link
This ONE is better

On another forum someone just pointed out that the Sony Xperia Z Ultra ist much better:

Full HD, only 6 mm (!) thick, can write on it with anything and waterproof, 2.2 Ghz quad core, also has a big screen (6.4"). But it only gets released in September or so. That is why I gonna get the Mega first and then maybe sell it on Ebay back home (the RRP in here is 200$ less than the cheapest price online for the 16 GB version back home) and try out the Xperia Z Ultra.

The pixel density on the Mega is about the same as on the S2. Compared to the S3 I remember the S2 having really big pixels. I hope this won't be annoying all the time.

Edited by MaikB84

Why not just buy them at official Samsung shops? I doubt they will be much cheaper in local shop. Plus, you need to buy from a proper shop to claim VAT which gets you another 1040 Baht off the price.

The main advantage of getting it from an official seller is the warranty.
There's always this slim chance of getting a lemon.

I guess the VAT discount only applies to tourists, correct me if I am wrong.
I guess it doesn't apply to ones holding a Non-B visa.

The main advantage of getting it from an official seller is the warranty.

There's always this slim chance of getting a lemon.

I guess the VAT discount only applies to tourists, correct me if I am wrong.

I guess it doesn't apply to ones holding a Non-B visa.

I'm pretty sure it apples to all foreigners. I have a Non-Imm B (work) visa and I've claimed VAT on my trips out of Thai.

Have you got yours already? How bad is the bad pixel density?

Nah, still waiting.

They still don't have it here.

Reviews are saying that the screen is not as bad as many expect it to be.