Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3

sensei

Yeah I heard that too, with the Amoled displays they count some subpixels double but with the LCD pixels there is really the amount of 'full' pixels in the screen as it says in the description.

As for VAT, the only requirement that seems to be enforced is not having stayed more than 180 days in Thailand in the current tax year (what if you leave at the start of the tax year?!). Anyway, no harm in trying.

Edited by MaikB84

Got it yesterday.

Most shops only had the small version or wouldn't fill out the VAT form. Bought it at Powerbuy in the end who have the big one and do the VAT form.

Awesome device. Resolution is absolutely fine. There is a (very) small lag here and there but then again it's a Samsung, what you expect. Overall experience is pretty smooth. The screen is VERY bright so I guess it couldn't be used in direct sunlight without problems.

Got True Move 5 GB for 970฿ incl. VAT prepaid. Top speeds, wouldn't choose any other provider.

Edited by MaikB84
  • Like 1

Got it yesterday.

Most shops only had the small version or wouldn't fill out the VAT form. Bought it at Powerbuy in the end who have the big one and do the VAT form.

Awesome device. Resolution is absolutely fine. There is a (very) small lag here and there but then again it's a Samsung, what you expect. Overall experience is pretty smooth. The screen is VERY bright so I guess it couldn't be used in direct sunlight without problems.

Got True Move 5 GB for 970฿ incl. VAT prepaid. Top speeds, wouldn't choose any other provider.

I got the Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 yesterday - 12,500 baht.

It's great, seems faster/better than the Galaxy S2. The large screen is much easier on the eyes.

My screen is not very bright ut I guess I can change it.

How much did you pay for yours?

I paid 14,900 for the 6.3 which is the RRP, but I get back some 970 baht from VAT. I couldn't imagine a resolution below 720p so no offence but I cannot undersand how anyone could be happy with qHD (1/4 of HD)... it must look pretty bad, no?

It depends on a screen size vs resolution, basically PPI is what counts. It doesn't look too bad on my S2 with 800x480 display (4.3") with 217 PPI. Your Galaxy Mega is 233 PPI with 1280x720 and 6.3" display. No offence but in reality your screen doesn't look much sharper than mine. Yes they are different technology AMOLED vs LCD put pixel density not very much different.

You want to look at pretty bad sub HD display, look at the Galaxy Grand with is the same resolution as mine (800x480) but stretched over 5" display giving it 187 PPI.

I was talking about the other Mega (5.8). Its PPI is supposed to be 190, but one has to consider that the 6.3 has 77.7% more pixels so I would never buy that 5.8, especially not at this price.

Edited by MaikB84
  • Like 1

Finally got mine last Thursday!

Went straight to the Samsung shop at the 4th floor of Siam Paragon. They had a display model but they didn't have it there. They asked me to come back after 3 hours. I ordered black but they only had white when i came back. I went to Power Mall on the 3rd floor and they've had it all along.

I've jumped to IOS straight from Nokia Symbian when the iPhone came out. I finally bailed out of the Apple ship. It doesn't really matter if IOS is pretty when all I do is squint trying to see what's on the screen.

I got the 6.3 and I have nothing but praises for this phone. I've got poor vision and pretty big hands.

A lot will criticize this phone for being too big but I knew all along that I am buying this for that purpose- to see what's on the screen.

First time Android user here. I was afraid of a steep learning curve but it wasn't that bad after all.

KIES is the only negative, I thought iTunes was rubbish. This is by far worse than anything. I just plugged in the SD card into my mac and copy stuff manually.

I'd say, I am happy with this PHABLET (Phone+tablet). The screen is amazingly good for such a low PPI.

Nova launcher made it look even better.

• Like 1

I can argue about which one is worse, Kies or iTunes... At least Kies isn't required to copy the music/video/etc over to the phone, it doesn't pop up every time I plug the phone in and it doesn't take half of my computer resources to run... :)

Good choice anyways. I hope the Note 3 will come out with something closer to a 6", that's the one I'm waiting for.

Finally got mine last Thursday!

Went straight to the Samsung shop at the 4th floor of Siam Paragon. They had a display model but they didn't have it there. They asked me to come back after 3 hours. I ordered black but they only had white when i came back. I went to Power Mall on the 3rd floor and they've had it all along.

I've jumped to IOS straight from Nokia Symbian when the iPhone came out. I finally bailed out of the Apple ship. It doesn't really matter if IOS is pretty when all I do is squint trying to see what's on the screen.

I got the 6.3 and I have nothing but praises for this phone. I've got poor vision and pretty big hands.

A lot will criticize this phone for being too big but I knew all along that I am buying this for that purpose- to see what's on the screen.

First time Android user here. I was afraid of a steep learning curve but it wasn't that bad after all.

KIES is the only negative, I thought iTunes was rubbish. This is by far worse than anything. I just plugged in the SD card into my mac and copy stuff manually.

I'd say, I am happy with this PHABLET (Phone+tablet). The screen is amazingly good for such a low PPI.

Nova launcher made it look even better.

I actually think the 5.8" is too big for carrying around in my trouser pocket or shirt pocket. I'll get some kind of wallet I think.

I've never used KIES, is it good for anything?

I found my Galaxy s2 that I lost so thinking of either selling it or selling my mega. Problem is there are 3 girls in my house wanting it!

One thing that I noticed is that I can't tranfser my apps from internal phone to my SD card - can anyone help here?

So it seems that the memory of the mega is not very high as I haven't downloaded much and already full. A few apps and song and one movie.

If you mean the external SD card, then you can't. There's System Storage, where the apps are installed by default and there's USB storage. And then there's a SD card storage. You can move most apps between the first 2 but not to an SD card.

The 5.8 is almost a big as the 6.3.

I heard someone say that the 6.3 Mega is the biggest phone out there and it has its own moon - the 5.8.

As for the SD card, I just take it out and plug it in to the Mac using a card reader. It's just drag and drop from there.

The phone recognizes the files in there when you pop it back in and puts the files in the phone library.

• 1 month later...

I have had the Mega for over a month now. It is awesome.
I don't really find a need for the extras other flagship phones have.

It is fast enough and the screen is quite decent.

I love the battery life. I have gotten over getting nervous of running out of juice.

I have not used my iPad in quite a while now.

I would recommend this phone to anyone who needs one with a big screen.

The only negative is that this won't fit into some of my pants pockets

My guess is that those 14,900 baht Galaxy Mega 6.3 are non-4g versions. This is what I noticed about Note 8 (Thailand was selling non 4G version whereas they were selling 4G version in SG for a bit higher price).

Anyone with Galaxy Mega 6.3 on True 4G? If so, did you buy them in Thailand (where and how much)?