Thaksin takes to Facebook to offer respect to Mandela, spite to opponents

webfact

Thaksin takes to Facebook to offer respect to Mandela, spite to opponents
By Coconuts Bangkok

thaksin.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra offered his respects to Nelson Mandela on his Facebook page, while also taking time to criticize his detractors who, he claimed, “continually come up with lies to gain advantage over their opponents.”

He posted this on his Facebook page last Sunday, adding that he wants to praise and pay respect to one of the world’s most revered statesman, who is suffering from failing health.

Mandela spent 27 years of his life in prison during his fight against apartheid but never gave up on his peaceful battle, said Thaksin.

Upon release from prison, Mandela won South Africa’s presidency and started the process of reconciliation. [more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/01/thaksin-takes-facebook-offer-respect-mandela-spite-opponents

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-01

I'm sure that Nelson Mandela - a real man of the world and a role model to millions will appreciate the sentiments.

But I do have to make comment on how Thaksin is portrayed in the Media sometimes ... and this is not a political statement.

The photo used in the lead article is a slightly cropped Wikipedia photo which can be viewed here.

It was taken when he was the Prime Minister of Thailand and the image that, by inference, portrays that he is still the Boss here ... no pun intended.

Why not use something closer to reality such as ...

thaksin-shinawatra.jpg

Taken from the Forbes magazine

Not disrespectful and probably closer to the reality that he is not a government leader in Thailand.

Just saying like ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I'm sure that Nelson Mandela - a real man of the world and a role model to millions will appreciate the sentiments.

But I do have to make comment on how Thaksin is portrayed in the Media sometimes ... and this is not a political statement.

The photo used in the lead article is a slightly cropped Wikipedia photo which can be viewed here.

It was taken when he was the Prime Minister of Thailand and the image that, by inference, portrays that he is still the Boss here ... no pun intended.

thaksin-shinawatra.jpg

Not disrespectful and probably closer to the reality that he is not a government leader in Thailand.

LMAO that you think he is not in charge...

• Like 1

There are similarities - they both endorse(d) terrorism as a means to achieve their goals (though NM now rejects it), and both aspire to a Presidency.

Nelson achieved his Presidency, perhaps Thaksin will, if he is still alive after 27 years in jail.

• Like 2

This story is more of a laugh when accompanied with the photoshopped pic of the 2 doctors T & M shaking hands, you know, the one that they forgot to remove the African mans fingers

Sounds interesting……….links ?

thaksin-shinawatra.jpg

LMAO that you think he is not in charge...

Love that bit about the reality that he is not a government leader in Thailand.

I suppose he is THE government leader in Thailand.

thaksin-shinawatra.jpg

He is the defacto prime Minister and he OWNS the government lock, stock and two smoking barrels.

"criticize his detractors who, he claimed, “continually come up with lies to gain advantage over their opponents.”"

With Thai defamation laws as they are and even Thaksin haven won cases I can only assume that said lies were not really spelt out and allocated to specifically named persons here in Thailand.

Mind you, I wonder if he also mentioned his 'rice pledging' scheme which is such a tremendous succesrolleyes.gif

Mandela spent 27 years in prison for his believes and I am a fugutive criminal and coward on the run.

Actually he spent 27 year in jail for a bomb plot and not being willing to give up an armed struggle via the military wing of the ANC - Umkhonto we Siwe...

It wasn't a peaceful battle at all. We that lived in South Africa at the time were expecting a civil war. The minority govenrment then disbanned the ANC, which ended up being the ruling party.

• Like 1

This story is more of a laugh when accompanied with the photoshopped pic of the 2 doctors T & M shaking hands, you know, the one that they forgot to remove the African mans fingers

Sounds interesting……….links ?

http://saiyasombut.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/did-thaksin-really-met-nelson-mandela/

Avoiding a long discussion again, have a look at this 2010-09-02 statement

"Cape Town - The Nelson Mandela Foundation on Thursday confirmed that fugitive former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was with Nelson Mandela last Friday.

"He did see Mr Mandela," the foundation's spokesperson Sello Hatang told News24.

"It was a courtesy call, no business was discussed," he said."

http://www.news24.com/World/News/Mandela-Thaksin-meeting-confirmed-20100902

I dont know about anyone else but im sick of people using facebook to try to create awareness or use as an official channel to make a big statement. Just like the... is liking a post really going to cure cancer? You basically read, like, and move on.

I dont know about anyone else but im sick of people using facebook to try to create awareness or use as an official channel to make a big statement. Just like the... is liking a post really going to cure cancer? You basically read, like, and move on.

but you still felt compelled to make a post yourself,,,,,mmmmmmmmmmmmmcoffee1.gif

• Like 1