Relinquishing WP and Non-B visa - changing to tourist visa.

Hello,

I'm a British male in the following circumstances:

I'm changing jobs and have already left the company, preparing to do any sort of visa run as an emergency measure, and get more organised afterwards with a double entry or triple entry tourist visa. I'm not aware what action (if any) my recent former employer has taken.

I'd like to ask some questions, please.

Do I have to go to immigration to cancel my non-b visa, or can I just leave the country? I've heard conflicting versions about this, including refusal to board a plane with out certain 'cancellation stamps'.

Regarding getting a tourist visa, I've heard many on this forum state that onward travel proof is not required if you buy a tourist visa, yet, I also see that on the Thai Embassy (Phnom Penh) website that to buy a tourist visa they ask for proof of onward travel. What is the situation at the moment?

I was erring towards Phnom Penh but I'm told they are un-reliable and rarely issue double entry visas. Is this people's general experience?

I've seen so much information that nearly fits my circumstances but none of which exactly answers my questions, so apologies if this repeats any similar requests.

Thanks for any help.

Where you here on a 90 day non immigrant entry only, or did you have a 1 year extension based on your work permit?

This makes a big difference in procedure.

If a 90 day entry only, you are allowed to stay until your "admitted until" stamp in your passport says. Then simply leave to wherever you go and pick up a visa.

If you are on an extension of stay, then you have to cancel this extension on the very same day your job ends. To do this, your employer needs to give you a form stating the date your employment ends.

You can either leave Thailand on the same day you cancel your extension, or you can get a 7 days extension for 1,900 Baht.

Then regarding the visa, Pnom Penh is definitely not advised, They do not give double entry tourist visa's, and there are reports of people not getting any visa at all.

Your best bet will be Savanakhet in Laos where double entry visa's are available. As far as I know, no airplane ticket is asked for.

• Like 1

I worked for a large worldwide corperation. I was hired to work on a special project. My work permit and visa was done in one day at some fast track visa place near Huey Klong.. anway the project and my job was terminated 6 months later.... I did not do anything about the work permit because they kept it the whole time... The multiple entry visa I used until it expired no problems.... I even overstayed after it expired by two months and never had anyone in immigrations ever ask me why I had one.... even at the airport.. the overstay I corrected at the Jomtien immigration office. I paid my 20k then 1900 for the 7 day... then flew to PP in Cambo and came back on a tourist visa... went back to the Jomtien office and got a retirement visa..... I see no reason to change ur visa until it expires.. and I would like to send out a big thumbs up for the Immigration office in Jomtien.. that place is the best!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by montereyjp