2 - Day Certain Bar Closure 22-23 Jul 2013

MrDK

Asalha Puja Day and Buddhist Lent Day (Wan Khao Phansa); 22 July and 23 July are 2 of 4 annual Buddhist holidays that are certain to be labeled as bar closure days.

The exact rulings are usually not published until the day before, but they are predictable and it is wise for those planning to have "company" to make arrangement the day before.

Depending on location "bar closures" may be relative, however, do expect most to close or serve only soft drinks.

As ever, there will always be a select number of bars that manage to serve alcohol by one means or another.

Edited by LivinginKata
link removed
  • Like 1

I am assuming this is the 4 day weekend I have heard about in July for schools to be off?

Where is the most reliable place to find out when these holidays are so that I can plan ahead?

So annoying to teach in Asian countries when it comes to holidays. No one ever seems to know when a holiday is coming-it's always a wishy washy the "the 2nd or 3rd week of this month or that month" and you're told a day or two before. I have known there is a 2 or 3 day weekend in July for the last 6 weeks and each time I ask when it is people are so aloof! I understand the whole lunar calendar thing but it's as if no one knows or says anything until a few days before! I asked today and nobody knew so A BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it only forbidden to sell alcohol to the public? Is private consumption on the house lawn where it may be visible to other's allowed?

It's only forbidden to sell alcohol. You can consume as much as you want. BUT I wouldn't hang out in front of a temple doing it.. in your own garden etc no problem.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6