Crackdown On Powder, Bras And Water Guns

george

I think it would be fun to rent one of these for the festive days.......

ac_image_chopper_11.jpg

Where oh where can I rent one

check the yellow pages,

its not high pressure... but it is a bit OVER THE TOP :o so there might be a fine for using this one.

Aren't we once again going a bit too far with this rules crap. No this, no that,... but yet it happens every year...

I don't mind the talk powder... the bras, the undies, the italian food straps, ... its all good for me, except for the cooling talk powder. and as long as it isn't used excessively its a lot of fun. For those who don't like songkran, stay at home or go on holiday somewhere else... It may not be the original tradition of songkhran but it is STILL a tradition (and a good fun one)

Too bad I'm gonna miss it this year.

Have a nice hot day in BKK

SD

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Snoh Tienthong's wife was minister of culture and came out with the famous edict banning spagetti straps, she declared that the ministry was defending traditional Thai values. As far as I know the traditional Thai dress for women was a sarong type garment called a sabai that left the breasts uncovered. You can find old photographs of Rama V visiting villagers who were dressed in this way. But anyway what would Chinese politicians know about Thai culture?

People are reminded to exercise care when travelling on Songkran celebrations

As Songkran Festival is approaching, several government units have begun campaigning for road safety to keep accidents to the lowest.

Chief of the Public Disaster Prevention Office of Surin Province Viset Sathira-pattanakul (วิเศษ สถิรพัฒนกุล) says it is estimated that there will be a lot of road users during April 7th to 16th, when people travel to hometowns to celebrate the Thai traditional New Year of Songkran on April 13th. In this northeastern province, Mr. Viset says five operational plans have been drawn up. They include law enforcement, public relations on preventive measures, emergency medical care, traffic engineering and the data and evaluation system.

In other provinces in the North and the Northeast, officials have been drilling in how to deal with road accidents by using last year's cases as models for the exercise. In Buriram Province, vocational colleges and the private sector are cooperating with the provincial administration in providing free engine checkups, which will not only ensure higher safety but also energy saving.

In the eastern province of Trat, which is popular for its marine attractions and draws a lot of tourists annually, owners of tour boats and controllers are warned to exercise most care. Officials have been dispatched to check the safety system and facilities at various harbors.

As in the previous year, officials throughout the country will step up public relations campaigns on safe driving during the 10 dangerous days beginning April 7th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 April 2006

I think it would be fun to rent one of these for the festive days.......

ac_image_chopper_11.jpg

Where oh where can I rent one

Well, who's going to pull you over?

If they did, the "on the spot fine" would be higher than the BMW and Mercedes drivers have to pay!

Former Senator Rabiebrat advises female youngsters to dress properly while celebrating Songkran

Former senator of Khon Kaen, Mrs. Rabiebrat Pongpanich (ระเบียบรัตน์ พงษ์พานิช) has advised female youths to dress properly while celebrating Songkran, to avoid being target of sexual harassment.

In her capacity as chairperson of the Association to Promote Warmth and Happiness in the Family, Mrs. Rabiebrat warned parents to advise their children, particularly ladies, to be careful in choosing their dress as it could reveal too much when get soaked during the water-throwing festival. She suggested against wearing too tight dresses, single-strap vests or strapless tops.

Mrs. Rabiebrat said however that her campaign last year was quite a success with cooperation from clothes retailers selling not so unveiling dresses. As a result, not many sexual assaults were reported.

Mrs. Rabiebrat also suggested youths to spend the Songkran occasion with their parents, asking for their blessings, as this will help boost the good family ties.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 April 2006

Mrs. Rabiebrat also suggested youths to spend the Songkran occasion with their parents, asking for their blessings, as this will help boost the good family ties.

I don't have any parents (here at least).

Can I come to your house uncle Jai Dee, and ask for your blessings :o

(if you're lucky, we will have run out of water by then !) :D

That's why there's usually an epidemic-like outbreak of coughs and colds, eye & ear infections etc during the weeks following Songkran? Absence from work due to sicknesses attributed to "Songkran-sicknesses" during late April cause tens of millions of lost working days every year.

I agree with Gaz 100% on this.

Lots of eye and ear infections caused by people throwing nasty klong water around. The klongs in Bangkok and the moat in Chiang Mai are really not much more than open sewers. :o:D Getting splashed in the face with this s*itty water would be a guaranteed eye infection or worse.

That's why there's usually an epidemic-like outbreak of coughs and colds, eye & ear infections etc during the weeks following Songkran? Absence from work due to sicknesses attributed to "Songkran-sicknesses" during late April cause tens of millions of lost working days every year.

I agree with Gaz 100% on this.

Lots of eye and ear infections caused by people throwing nasty klong water around. The klongs in Bangkok and the moat in Chiang Mai are really not much more than open sewers. :D:D Getting splashed in the face with this s*itty water would be a guaranteed eye infection or worse.

How about soot from a diesel cars exhaust pipe? difficult to get out of your eye. and the sticky seeds that look like small tadpoles stuck all over you? Nice to see on the girls . but not on me! :o

No powder, No ice, No water pistols, Ok let's also add No water, No people, No fun.... Oh boy yes lets all just move to Iraq where all the fun is shall we? :o:D

I think political correct has moved to Thailand from Australia where even skateboards get tickets for riding no helmet and speeding. What is next people? Do we want Thailand to be like Singapore & Australia?

5025992.jpg

A woman shows off the new triple-barrel water gun, a top seller this year.

5026206.jpg

Children play with a variety of water guns in an early Songkran water fight.

Source: The Nation - 12 April 2006

5025992.jpg

A woman shows off the new triple-barrel water gun, a top seller this year.

I got two of em! :D

Two of those, one slightly smaller, two more mid-size and two "smaller" ones. 7 in total ! :D

Still looking for Jai Dee's house though.............. :o

Over Bt24 billion cash circulating during Songkran festival

BANGKOK, April 12 (TNA)

p8116.jpg

More than Bt24 billion cash is circulating during the Songkran festival this year, thanks to people's spending to celebrate the traditional Thai New Year, according to the KASIKORN Research Centre (KRC).

The amount of cash circulating in the kingdom during this week's Songkran festival would be about 14 per cent higher than that of last year, said the Bangkok-based research house.

Bangkokians are major spendthrifts of this annual festivity.

Nearly half of the money, or around Bt11 billion, is circulating in provincial areas, while another Bt6 billion is circulating in the capital.

These would help generate revenues for Songkran and tourism-related businesses nationwide, the leading private think tank noted.

At least Bt7 billion would be spent on overseas travelling by the Songkran revellers, the KRC projected.

Bangkokians are expected to each spend around Bt1,537 in the capital during the Songkran festival, while those travelling to the upcountry are projected to each spend about Bt2,489 this year.

The money will be spent on merit making activities, food and beverage, transport costs, gifts for relatives and sight seeings, according to the KRC. (TNA)

High-presure spray guns are prohited from being sold

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board has announced that high-pressure water guns, which are made of PVC pipes or plastic materials, are banned from being sold to the general public. The board fears that such spray guns will cause injuries, or even blindness, to the people will be joining the Songkran celebration. Violators will be fined for no more than 500,000 baht, and they can be imprisoned for up to five years maximum.

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board has also warned motorists that substandard tires can potentially bring about road accidents as they do not have proper elasticity. Furthermore, the tires can explode if they carry heavy loads and travel for a long distance during this summer season.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 April 2006

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board has announced that high-pressure water guns, which are made of PVC pipes or plastic materials, are banned from being sold to the general public. The board fears that such spray guns will cause injuries, or even blindness, to the people will be joining the Songkran celebration. Violators will be fined for no more than 500,000 baht, and they can be imprisoned for up to five years maximum.

Hi Jai Dee. I'm sure that you'll remember that the same ruling was made, and publicised, nationwide in 2002 but was ignored with contempt by everyone....as it is every year.

My daughter was born on 15th April, 2002, and my wife was discharged from hospital in Sri Racha on 19th April. :o It took us nearly 5 hours to travel from Mini Siam to Jomtien Beach because the Sukhumvit Road was at a standstill (4 lanes of traffic both sides). These high-pressure spray guns were being sold openly along the Sukhumvit Road, observed by groups of the boys in brown with typical grins on their faces.

Edited by Artisan

well i have take off my wig, pacemaker, glasses, false teeth, hearing aid, prostate leg, leaving my diamonds and gold stuff, mobile phone, camera, ipod, wallet and blackberry at home, put on my shorts , old 't' shirts and flipflops :D:D:D

baby's at patpong here we come, the war is on :D:o:D

No powder, No ice, No water pistols, Ok let's also add No water, No people, No fun.... Oh boy yes lets all just move to Iraq where all the fun is shall we? :o:D

I think political correct has moved to Thailand from Australia where even skateboards get tickets for riding no helmet and speeding. What is next people? Do we want Thailand to be like Singapore & Australia?

Come on over! There aren't any regulations about what kind of pistols used here. Heck, powder, there's plenty of gun powder around. Ice... we love it. Bring it on... :D

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board has also warned motorists that substandard tires can potentially bring about road accidents as they do not have proper elasticity. Furthermore, the tires can explode if they carry heavy loads and travel for a long distance during this summer season.

I'll try not to be so controversial in this thread, Jai Dee! Apart from the fact that I didn't know there was a "Consumer Protection Board" in Thailand, to protect consumers from being hurt by these powerful "toys" they should have been withdrawn from sale weeks ago, the manufacturers fined and all retail outlets selling them warned. It's all too little, too late.

In one month's time I would love to see a list of all the people who have been prosecuted. My guess: zero.

People amassed at Mochit bus terminal last night, and heated up the air inside the terminal

People gathered at the Mochit bus terminal in mass last night, as they wait to buy tickets for traveling back to their localities for Songkran.

Despite the Transport Co.'s effort to dissipate commuters via increased coaches throughout the day, the number of people still amassed and this seriously heated up the temperature inside the terminal. People without reservations had to que up for as long as an hour. At the same time Lukthung (ลูกทุ่ง) music performances, comedies, and other performances were set up outside the terminal to entertain passengers that were waiting to board coaches.

The Transport Co. Ltd. said that it will have to evaluate the number of people at the terminal last night in determining when it would be able to send all commuters on their journeys.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 April 2006