Starbeam Restaurant to Close in Surin August 1, 2013

khwaibah

I am sad to report that we will be closing our doors on August 1st. Our building has been sold and our lease runs out September 1, 2013. The new owners have other plans for the building and will not be renewing our lease. After much discussion with my wife and Sister-in-law we will not be reopening elsewhere in Surin.

We have some land in our own village area we will be building a new Thai restaurant on for the local Thais and government workers nearby. We’ve had Thai restaurants for over 20 years and are going back to doing that rather than try to find suitable lease/rental location in Surin. It’s difficult to get landlords here in Surin/Thailand to lease a suitable commercial property for more than 2 years (and buying property in Surin proper is financially non-viable – the property we are in now supposedly sold for 10 million baht recently).

If we could have gotten another 2 to 4 year lease from the new owners we would have. Sadly they have other plans for the building.

We would like to thank all our regular, loyal, and fantastic customers who have helped make Starbeam’s the wonderful restaurant it was for Thais and Westerners here in Surin the past four years. It is with great sadness we report this news for all regarding our closing. We will close our doors at 10 p.m. July 31, 2013. The month of August will be spent removing our property from the premises to the new place in Non Sabai (about 50 kilometers from Surin).

Waen, Starbeam, Fon and I wish you all the best in life, much prosperity and happiness, and good luck and good health in the future. Thank you all for your custom, friendship, and sanuk these past 4 years.
Chok dee krup.

Mike, Waen, Starbeam & Fon

A sad day indeed as Starbeams is the best restaurant in Surin for Western and Thai food. Very extensive menu as well.

As well as having aircon, free wifi and patrons smoking outside service was very good and it is a very comfortable place to be.

Others western restaurants in Surin would do well to take note of Starbeams success for four years.

I commend Starbeam on their success. It is a shame that they are closing. But, I think it is unfair to say that others should take note.

The Farang Connection has been going for over 15 years, to my knowledge. Now that IS success.

A real pity as Starbeam was head and shoulders above the rest of the other places in Surin that catered more to the Farang community. Not even a close call IMO between Starbeam and the FC. When you factor in the owners policy on smoking only outside it was the go to place for an afternoon of relaxation, conversation and libation. I can't see those other places picking up much of the trade from Starbeam given their track records.

I thought I posted in this topic earlier today, but must have been dreaming.........rolleyes.gif

Anyway it's sad about Starbeam closing, it will be missed and I wish Mike and his family all the best for the future!

I'm also satisfied that the photo of Martin has been removed! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Starbeams closing is not only a loss to Surin, but all of Isaan. Mike and the "Starbeams family", IMHO, offered great service, facilities, and fair in a friendly, clean and comfortable atmosphere. Best of luck in you new venture.

• Like 2

I commend Starbeam on their success. It is a shame that they are closing. But, I think it is unfair to say that others should take note.

The Farang Connection has been going for over 15 years, to my knowledge. Now that IS success.

I really like your post as it is great that all members here have the opportunity to air their views.

Success can be defined by many things. I like the fact that Starbeam has airconditioning, free wifi and all smokers have to smoke outside. Their menu is excellent and prices also very good.

Mike, Waen. Fon and the staff are always welcoming to customers and provide a very high level of service as well as great food.

There are no other restaurants in Surin to my knowledge offering western food and all of the amenities that Starbeam has on offer.

Existing places in Surin serving western food are very poor in comparison.

Likewise, I like your post.

The FC and Starbeams cater to two different markets. The FC is more of a drinking place where you can also have a meal. Starbeams is more a restaurant where you can have a drink.

Both menus are very extensive and prices are competative. Both places offer free wifi. Both hosts, when on the premises will greet you, and make you feel welcome.

So the only difference is air con and smoking, and to be honest the FC is so open it is hardly noticable.

Like I said it is unfair to ask others to take note. Both have been extremely successful in their own right.

I don't know why someone mentioned a "pi#@ing contest", especially someone who prefers to "sit in the bar opposite and watch on".

• Like 1

I really like your post as it is great that all members here have the opportunity to air their views.

Success can be defined by many things. I like the fact that Starbeam has airconditioning, free wifi and all smokers have to smoke outside. Their menu is excellent and prices also very good.

Mike, Waen. Fon and the staff are always welcoming to customers and provide a very high level of service as well as great food.

There are no other restaurants in Surin to my knowledge offering western food and all of the amenities that Starbeam has on offer.

Existing places in Surin serving western food are very poor in comparison.

Likewise, I like your post.

The FC and Starbeams cater to two different markets. The FC is more of a drinking place where you can also have a meal. Starbeams is more a restaurant where you can have a drink.

Both menus are very extensive and prices are competative. Both places offer free wifi. Both hosts, when on the premises will greet you, and make you feel welcome.

So the only difference is air con and smoking, and to be honest the FC is so open it is hardly noticable.

Like I said it is unfair to ask others to take note. Both have been extremely successful in their own right.

I don't know why someone mentioned a "pi#@ing contest", especially someone who prefers to "sit in the bar opposite and watch on".

Why is it unfair? You do understand many customers like aircon and a smoke free environment?

The original comment was about others taking note of success. I am trying to point out that Starbeam is not the only successful place in Surin.

Sure some people like aircon. Some people don't.

The unfairness is not about air or no air. It is about putting others down.

• Like 1

If you saw me once in a bar opposite, doesn't that mean YOU were watching me! LOL!!!!.

Seeing as I have not lived in Surin for nearly 2 years, I am honoured to be of such great interest to you folk ? HaHa!

AS you correctly state, the two places that YOU brought up in this thread are not similar in many ways. One has been in existence a lot longer under 3 or is it 4 different managers and the other is in the title of this thread,

• Like 1

The original comment was about others taking note of success. I am trying to point out that Starbeam is not the only successful place in Surin.

Sure some people like aircon. Some people don't.

The unfairness is not about air or no air. It is about putting others down.

Who is putting others down? Who is being put down?