success pizza - near dukes riverside

willfreeman

My money goes to Dukes pizza as still being the best. One thing about Dukes the quality and taste are consistent. Not great one day and taste like crap the next.

And The Dukes is the only place here that can keep its standards up, hence their success.

• Like 1

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yes ive been to several places and they are the best ive found

Dukes is the best in CM, with Yummy Pizza a close second. But will try this new place, so thanks for the heads up.

Duke's is way too big, served too hot and is the wrong shape.

Good "piss take". As everyone knows they are a perfect size, perfect temperature and the right shape.

Unless you are after a frozen triangle type pizza. Maybe that's how the Brits like it, who knows.

Dukes is the best in CM, with Yummy Pizza a close second. But will try this new place, so thanks for the heads up.

Duke's is way too big, served too hot and is the wrong shape.

Good "piss take". As everyone knows they are a perfect size, perfect temperature and the right shape.

Unless you are after a frozen triangle type pizza. Maybe that's how the Brits like it, who knows.

No, us Brits like proper food and appreciate the taste rather than swallowing before chewing and therefore enlarging the stomach and larynx and being VERY LOUD.

Don't be mean on July 4. Give the Yanks a break one day a year.

• Like 2

Tried the place today. The main virtue of the place is that it is very, very cheap compared to most Italian restaurants in Chaing Mai. Most of their pizzas are around 150 baht, most of the pasta dishes are around 100 baht. I'm betting that before long they are going to figure out that the have to raise their prices. But that's about where the good news ends. Their pizza crust is like a cracker and when the pizza first comes out you're going to find that all the toppings will slide off if you pick up a slice carelessly. And the pasta is rather ordinary, perhaps adequate but not on par with what their more expensive competitors are selling. And if you're particular about things like your appetizer coming before your entree -- fuggetaboutit, you're not at Giorgio's.

Overall I'd have to say that on a calories/baht basis the restaurant is probably not a bad option, but for cheap Itialian I'd favor Billy's (Soi 1 on Kampangdin Rd) or Noi's Cuisine (on the other side of town behind CMU).

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

Tried the place today. The main virtue of the place is that it is very, very cheap compared to most Italian restaurants in Chaing Mai. Most of their pizzas are around 150 baht, most of the pasta dishes are around 100 baht. I'm betting that before long they are going to figure out that the have to raise their prices. But that's about where the good news ends. Their pizza crust is like a cracker and when the pizza first comes out you're going to find that all the toppings will slide off if you pick up a slice carelessly. And the pasta is rather ordinary, perhaps adequate but not on par with what their more expensive competitors are selling. And if you're particular about things like your appetizer coming before your entree -- fuggetaboutit, you're not at Giorgio's.

Overall I'd have to say that on a calories/baht basis the restaurant is probably not a bad option, but for cheap Itialian I'd favor Billy's (Soi 1 on Kampangdin Rd) or Noi's Cuisine (on the other side of town behind CMU).

There's something about that building that it must serve inexpensive food, that worked well for the previous owners when it was Thai food but I suspect that a cheap high volume pizza concept is a step too far.

I think every one has to make their own decisions on pizza there is way to many combinations. From your post I take it the pizza's are on the small side.

I like the Dukes but I can see where it is possible to have a better one. Have to give them a try myself.

I think every one has to make their own decisions on pizza there is way to many combinations. From your post I take it the pizza's are on the small side.

I like the Dukes but I can see where it is possible to have a better one. Have to give them a try myself.

Though the pizzas are smaller than at Duke's I wouldn't call them small. Appetites vary, but I would think that one pizza there would enough food for two average people or for one glutton.

Edited by AngelsLariat

your like Plato goodby dolly. "everybody has to make their own decisions" really really deep stuff. you belong on a mountain top in Tibet dispensing wisdom like a pez machine.
  • Like 2

your like Plato goodby dolly. "everybody has to make their own decisions" really really deep stuff. you belong on a mountain top in Tibet dispensing wisdom like a pez machine.

I always find it amusing when yankeedoodles harp on about food... sort of akin to Eskimos ruminating nanotechnology.

Of course. You Brits are so famous for your heavenly cuisine. giggle.gif

cheesy.gif

English Curry.

Just dosen't sound British to me.

Now fish and chips that definatly is British.

• Like 1

FAIL: Dukes is the best by far? Why would you open near the Dukes ummmmmm Double Fail

I don't think that the location is a liability other than that the rent might be high there. While Success Pizza has the word "pizza" in it's name and Duke's is locally famous for its pizza (amongst other things), that's about the only place where their menus overlapped. Very different restaurants overall - with Duke's aiming more upmarket and having an unapologetically American menu, and Success Pizza, though Thai run, attempting a traditional Italian menu at substantially lower prices.

I always find it amusing when yankeedoodles harp on about food... sort of akin to Eskimos ruminating nanotechnology.

Once upon a time you would have been right. British cuisine was appalling, they were renowned for it. But things have changed and the UK can now boast of some very fine restaurants. But this does not mean that they all have a palate that can distinguish between a haddock and a haggis.

FAIL: Dukes is the best by far? Why would you open near the Dukes ummmmmm Double Fail

Guess who fails????

Its called marketing

Gas station opens on a corner........ more will open on other corners

Fast Food opens on a corner........ more fast foods will follow to the same area

If people are looking for a product, they have a tendency to go to an area where there would be several stores providing the same type product, not just a lone shop in the middle of nowhere.

One will draw some

Three , chances are will draw more that 3 times the above

Maybe look at like a team of sorts.

G

• Like 2

Hard to imagine that either of you are really serious. NYC is known, esp. to those in the food world, as one if not the best restaurant city's. (also NY State is the home of what is considered by many the best culinary school in the world the Culinary Institute of America). And though Britain had a bad rep now it has some world class food. I actually had my first real good Thai food, outside of Thailand, in London many years ago. As for the Eskimo comment it doesn't have any humorous aspect, at least not that I get, and seems just racist. (Why the admins don't remove these but do some of my non-insulting and factual based ones is beyond me)

My money goes to Dukes pizza as still being the best. One thing about Dukes the quality and taste are consistent. Not great one day and taste like crap the next.

That's Duke's hallmark throughout their menu and I think that it goes a long way to explaining their success.

Dave is a smart businessman. He consistently provides a high quality product at reasonable prices. The service is fast and efficient. If you run a business this way, customers will return and encourage their friends to go as well.

I agree. Which is why Dave is so successful. And, if you are unhappy about anything, just give him a call and he will take care of you - no need to post negative comments on the Internet. He would rather give a comp meal and have you be happy, return again and again and invite your friends to return again. He definitely understands the "big picture" in business.

Don't mean at all to be argumentative, or at least that is not my point of what I am going to say, but why are you posting that there is no need to post negative comments on the internet. Sounds like your promoting censorship as the internet is a good place one can post how and what they feel. This does not have anything to do w/Dave and Dukes, as I have always found him more than accommodating, friendly, professional etc. and have had some good and not so good (but by far more good) meals at Dukes and River Market. But to me it sound like the Dave's Cult I've heard about (good gig if you can get one! - lol). For sure there is enough good posts to out weigh any bad ones just on this thread alone. I once had, and posted about, a bad dining experience we had at Duke's at the Night Bazzar, and did mention the circumstances of the probable cause. There are many reasons why one might want to post something, good or bad, about any place. But it's up to the them. I for one will speak to the manager on hand if there is a problem but will not call the owner unless it's a terrible event (abuse, theft etc.) or I know him personally (which I do of Dave but chose not to that time) and will not bother him over every little thing (nor do I choose to post about them either). But if I don't doesn't mean someone else shouldn't if they want to. If a restaurant does not have an on duty manager that can do his job it's not mine to do it and look for a resolution by calling the owner ect. It's part of being a restaurantuer, training staff, having a chain of command (having the manager call the owner if nec. which the staff at the old Old Bell did once when they did not know how to handle a coupon) and most importantly anticipating customer's needs! I have and will continue to go back to Dave's places and post about them when I feel strongly about something, but can not believe on an open forum you are telling people not to post whatever they want (with-in reason and the rules).

I'm definitely not promoting Internet censorship. I think you misunderstood me or perhaps I wasn't clear. My point was only that Dave is a reasonable businessman and understands what it takes to run a successful business. Nothing more. I'm definitely not a member of any Duke's cult! I like and respect your reviews and appreciate where you are coming from with the intricate details since I am an Engineer, I too, tend to think in terms of technical details.

• Like 2

Once upon a time you would have been right. British cuisine was appalling, they were renowned for it. But things have changed and the UK can now boast of some very fine restaurants. But this does not mean that they all have a palate that can distinguish between a haddock and a haggis.

I'm a Brit and I was born and raised there, I was in the UK in March and I can confirm that the food is still appalling and if anything it's even worse than it used to be, unless of course you are prepared to pay significant sums of money to eat decent food and to eat healthily.

I'm a Brit and I was born and raised there, I was in the UK in March and I can confirm that the food is still appalling and if anything it's even worse than it used to be, unless of course you are prepared to pay significant sums of money to eat decent food and to eat healthily.

I told you, lay off the tripe & onions and spotted dick!!

I am a little confused here. First there is talk of Brit food not being that sensational then there is talk that they have come a long way with many quality restaurants.

My question is are all these quality restaurants serving Brit dishes or dishes from other countries?