success pizza - near dukes riverside

willfreeman

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so back to the original topic if we may...

I've paid a visit to Success Pizza and can now share my thoughts:

Environment: It's definitely more a Thai pizza place than an Italian pizza place, or an American pizza place; price accordingly. The place has a more authentic family feel i.e. Thai Mum & Dad with the kids then most other venues i've been to. Even with the constant cars whizzing by, an open air place with a view of the river pretty much wins over anything else for mine. The service was friendly, non obtrusive and efficient.

The Food: The pizza i had was a thin crust, sao like as described previously, with a uninspiring tasting base and toppings with potential, but not quite delivering. My GF had the chicken breast wrapped in ham (supposedly bacon) with a creamy white wine (read carbonara) sauce. The pizza i would rate as average, and below par if you have tried pizza in many different parts of the world. The dish my GF had had a lot more flavour, and as such was the better dish.

Verdict: I would dine here again with Thai's, but would not go out of my way to visit again on my own. If i do return i will most likely order a pasta dish or something else from their adequate menu.

I rate my dining out preferences in the following order: 1. Taste. 2. Ambiance. 3. Value. 4. Quantity.

Therefore my current Chiang Mai pizza ratings based on personal experience are as follows:

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

Is there a Mikes on Loi Kroh other than the Hamburger stand?

what about Gorgios/Antonios?

Many do not know anything about them but they are very good, top choice of my Italian friends.

I love them and they are my top choice every time just thought it strange they were not mentioned :)

Fiore Rosa has some really good italian pizzas. On the road going to Doi Saket. A bit far though from town but I do not mind the drive for their delicious food. Prices are very reasonable.

Where on the road to Doi Saket? Was that place formerly named Giardino's?

• Like 1

Ok, so back to the original topic if we may...

I've paid a visit to Success Pizza and can now share my thoughts:

Environment: It's definitely more a Thai pizza place than an Italian pizza place, or an American pizza place; price accordingly. The place has a more authentic family feel i.e. Thai Mum & Dad with the kids then most other venues i've been to. Even with the constant cars whizzing by, an open air place with a view of the river pretty much wins over anything else for mine. The service was friendly, non obtrusive and efficient.

The Food: The pizza i had was a thin crust, sao like as described previously, with a uninspiring tasting base and toppings with potential, but not quite delivering. My GF had the chicken breast wrapped in ham (supposedly bacon) with a creamy white wine (read carbonara) sauce. The pizza i would rate as average, and below par if you have tried pizza in many different parts of the world. The dish my GF had had a lot more flavour, and as such was the better dish.

Verdict: I would dine here again with Thai's, but would not go out of my way to visit again on my own. If i do return i will most likely order a pasta dish or something else from their adequate menu.

I rate my dining out preferences in the following order: 1. Taste. 2. Ambiance. 3. Value. 4. Quantity.

Therefore my current Chiang Mai pizza ratings based on personal experience are as follows:

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

Is there a Mikes on Loi Kroh other than the Hamburger stand?

I think it's called Mike's Italian, or something similar... About a 1/3 of the way down from the moat. It use to be one shop size and was expended in to two a few months ago maybe...

I have never tried Antonio's, but ate at Georgio's several times before Antonio's was open. I thought that it was good, but no better than Da Stefano's or whatever restaurant Sergio owned back then or the other better Italian places around town. Some people really love the place though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have never tried Antonio's, but ate at Georgio's several times before Antonio's was open. I thought that it was good, but no better than Da Stefano's or whatever restaurant Sergio owned back then or the other better Italian places around town. Some people really love the place though.

same owner same good quality - honestly I would put them at number 1 by a long way. I like De Stefanos but the food, to my mind, is way, way lower than G or A's but then the price is way down too (nice for a 'cheap bistro' experience but can't be compared to G or A's for the 'quality restaurant' experience).

anyway to sum up: if i'm going our with friends for a quick bite to eat De Stafanos is fine but if I have a beautiful new date it's Antonios all the way :) as for Billy's I am speechless why it made the top 10

I stopped by this place and had the pizza . I was not impressed . Other things on the menu look good but the pizza did too . Doubt I will give it another shot . Staff was very nice though and service was very goood and the place was very clean ... I just dont care for waffer thin crust pizza ......

I'll have to try it again. There is also a fairly new Italian place near the Night Bazaar that a lot of people seem to like that I need to try.

Not sure what you are saying here we are on a topic about success pizza and I can not remember you saying yiou had been there now you say you are going to try it again. What was your first impression of it?

Never tried Duke's pizza but almost by definition the best pizza has to come from an Italian restaurant.

So what you're saying is that only black people can play the blues, cooking is an art form and no one country owns an art form

• Like 1

Never tried Duke's pizza but almost by definition the best pizza has to come from an Italian restaurant.

So what you're saying is that only black people can play the blues, cooking is an art form and no one country owns an art form

That's pretty much spot on as far as the blues is concerned.

Eric Clapton, Led Zepplin, Janis Joplin, Bonnie Raitt, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Blues Brothers played some pretty good Blues.

Pretty good indeed, but not quite the same as Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker and BB King, IMHO.

• Like 1

Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Bonnie Raitt, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Blues Brothers played some pretty good Blues.

Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Bonnie Raitt, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Blues Brothers played some pretty good Blues.

I guess it depends on one's taste, just like pizza. biggrin.png

Genius.

There are different kinds of good pizza, some would say one is better than anothe other due to their personal taste, just like music (give a listen to Black & Blue by the Rolling Stones for another kind of good blues and Paint it Blue an album of blues greats doing Stones covers). And then there is bad food and bad music made by people who don't have the talent for it, an appreciation for the art they are practicing or have attained the skill level to properly execute it.

Edited by junglechef

I guess it depends on one's taste, just like pizza. :D

it's not that bad of an analogy though: Italian Pizza is to American Pizza as Muddy Waters is to Led Zeppelin.

Just like the blues, pizzas can have different styles that appeal to different people. There's no right or wrong. Big Bill Broonzy , Lightnin' Hopkins, Little Walter, B.B. King, Clapo, Rory, John Lee, all got their own style but not everyone likes them all. To continue the musical theme, Pizza is pop music, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing wrong with pop music, I listen to it now and then, but I'd rather listen to good music.

I guess it depends on one's taste, just like pizza. :D

it's not that bad of an analogy though: Italian Pizza is to American Pizza as Muddy Waters is to Led Zeppelin.
Just like the blues, pizzas can have different styles that appeal to different people. There's no right or wrong. Big Bill Broonzy , Lightnin' Hopkins, Little Walter, B.B. King, Clapo, Rory, John Lee, all got their own style but not everyone likes them all. To continue the musical theme, Pizza is pop music, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing wrong with pop music, I listen to it now and then, but I'd rather listen to good music.
apocryphal contribution