I'm looking for folk music singers and players

FolkGuitar

Right now, we usually get together on Tuesday evenings. If you want to play in, or just listen and enjoy some good music, come on down. We start playing around 7:30 at 'The Garden' guest house on Ratchadamnern Rd, just east of the Writers Club bar.

Is Ratchadamnern Rd the Sunday walking street? Can I get a meal there?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, John, it is the Sunday walking street, just west of Proppoklaou (sp?) Rd about 50 meters on the left side.

The guest house has a good restaurant, with plenty of (covered) outdoor seating. There are regular professional bands entertaining there most other nights, but Tuesdays it's just us amateur folks swapping songs for ourselves off to the side of the garden.

I believe those who "got off" were all young tourists -- so this was just another interesting life experience for them. It makes for a great blog post, doesn't it?

How can you play the Blues if you haven't spent time in jail? Having your true love run off with a cardiac surgeon, die during a liposuction procedure, or have your Audi brake down on Rt.1 in South Beach just doesn't cut it! As David Bromberg sings; 'You got to suffer if you wanna sing the Blues!'

Maybe not you but I suffer when people 'sing, the blues!

John, we can play happy music for you, but ya gotta show up to hear it! biggrin.png

Ok! You win. I will turn up next time around and 'hear' you out!

How can you play the Blues if you haven't spent time in jail? Having your true love run off with a cardiac surgeon, die during a liposuction procedure, or have your Audi brake down on Rt.1 in South Beach just doesn't cut it! As David Bromberg sings; 'You got to suffer if you wanna sing the Blues!'

Maybe not you but I suffer when people 'sing, the blues!

John, we can play happy music for you, but ya gotta show up to hear it! biggrin.png

Ok! You win. I will turn up next time around and 'hear' you out!

We'll look for ya Tuesday night! Oh... you ARE back in town, right? LOL!

Yes, John, it is the Sunday walking street, just west of Proppoklaou (sp?) Rd about 50 meters on the left side.

The guest house has a good restaurant, with plenty of (covered) outdoor seating. There are regular professional bands entertaining there most other nights, but Tuesdays it's just us amateur folks swapping songs for ourselves off to the side of the garden.

Don't mean to be a pest but could you tell me how far from Chiang Mai gate?

Perhaps one kilometer from Chiang Mai gate to the Sunday Walking street (Ratchadamnern (sp?) ) then about 50 meters west of the Proppoklaou intersection. on the left.

I will say right now that I'm not expecting a big turnout of instrument players this Tuesday evening. Perhaps 3-4 at the most. So I hope that you folks who are planning on coming can either play, sing, or at least keep time with a spoon on the table top! We have a long table on the right hand side as you walk in. Players and singers all sit at the far end, and listeners towards the front gate. Anyone can also sit at any table in the garden if they are ordering as well. We try to keep long or loud conversations away from the playing end of the table.

Perhaps one kilometer from Chiang Mai gate to the Sunday Walking street (Ratchadamnern (sp?) ) then about 50 meters west of the Proppoklaou intersection. on the left.

I will say right now that I'm not expecting a big turnout of instrument players this Tuesday evening. Perhaps 3-4 at the most. So I hope that you folks who are planning on coming can either play, sing, or at least keep time with a spoon on the table top! We have a long table on the right hand side as you walk in. Players and singers all sit at the far end, and listeners towards the front gate. Anyone can also sit at any table in the garden if they are ordering as well. We try to keep long or loud conversations away from the playing end of the table.

Now I am really confused. to the best of my knowledge Chiang Mai gate was a part of the walking street. I know there is a garden and guest house on Loi Kroh and a friend told me that if I am walking along the moat going south from McDonald's turn at the first corner and follow that for about 300 or 400 meters. There will be a Garden guest house there.

The corner has the segway shop on it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Not familiar with street names.

For some reason I had been under the impression it was just off of the walking street. I promose not to bother you any more. But if I was to show up and let my guard down and sing a little would I be allowed to stay. Every one tells me I have a voice that is best heard on the stage leaving town.sad.png

Now I am really confused. to the best of my knowledge Chiang Mai gate was a part of the walking street. I know there is a garden and guest house on Loi Kroh and a friend told me that if I am walking along the moat going south from McDonald's turn at the first corner and follow that for about 300 or 400 meters. There will be a Garden guest house there.

For some reason I had been under the impression it was just off of the walking street. I promose not to bother you any more. But if I was to show up and let my guard down and sing a little would I be allowed to stay. Every one tells me I have a voice that is best heard on the stage leaving town.sad.png

First, about your voice... People have paid me NOT to sing... I'm deaf. I play my guitar loudly and scream so people can't tell that my voice isn't actually hitting the right notes... Sit close to me, and no one will notice. Besides, we are all there just for fun. Some can't play their instruments very well, some (like me) can't sing worth a dam_n. Some can't do either. Others can't keep the beat. It just doesn't matter. We are all having fun. That's all that's important.

Next... is it possible that you are mixing up the names of the gates? Chiang Mai Gate is on the south side of the moat, facing the 'Saturday' Night walking street - Wualai Road (the silversmith road that leads toward Airport Plaza.)

Loi Khroh Road is on the east side of the moat, just two blocks south from Thapae Gate and McDonalds and Starbucks. We are on the Sunday Night walking street - Ratchadamnern Rd. We are inside the Old City, not outside, less than a 10 minute walk from Thapae Gate.

If you were to walk through Thapae Gate into the Old City, you would be looking west down Ratchadamnern Rd. This is the primary Sunday Walking Street. (There are a couple of smaller cross streets.) It ends at Wat Phra Singh. If you walk west along Ratchadamnern from Thapae Gate, the second intersection with a traffic light is Phrappaklao Rd. (Phrappaklao runs north and south from Chiang Mai Gate.) Keep going west another 50 meters and we will be on the left side. Get within two blocks of us and you'll hear me screaming...

So......

From Chiang Mai Gate ( in the South) you would go about 1km north on Phrappaklao Rd to the intersection with Ratchadamnern Rd and turn left and go 50 meters.

or

From Thapae Gate (on the East side) you would go straight, less than 1km west, cross Phrappaklao Rd, then we will be 50 meters beyond on the left side.

Hawkins: I’ve got it! I’ve got it! The pellet with the poison’s in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

Griselda: Right, but there’s been a change. They broke the chalice from the palace.

Hawkins: They broke the chalice from the palace?!

Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.

Hawkins: A flagon?

Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.

Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.

Griselda: Right.

Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Hawkins: The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Griselda: Get it?

Hawkins: Got it.

Griselda: Good!

Edited by FolkGuitar

First, about your voice... People have paid me NOT to sing... I'm deaf. I play my guitar loudly and scream so people can't tell that my voice isn't actually hitting the right notes... Sit close to me, and no one will notice. Besides, we are all there just for fun. Some can't play their instruments very well, some (like me) can't sing worth a dam_n. Some can't do either. Others can't keep the beat. It just doesn't matter. We are all having fun. That's all that's important.

Next... is it possible that you are mixing up the names of the gates? Chiang Mai Gate is on the south side of the moat, facing the 'Saturday' Night walking street - Wualai Road (the silversmith road that leads toward Airport Plaza.)

Loi Khroh Road is on the east side of the moat, just two blocks south from Thapae Gate and McDonalds and Starbucks. We are on the Sunday Night walking street - Ratchadamnern Rd. We are inside the Old City, not outside, less than a 10 minute walk from Thapae Gate.

If you were to walk through Thapae Gate into the Old City, you would be looking west down Ratchadamnern Rd. This is the primary Sunday Walking Street. (There are a couple of smaller cross streets.) It ends at Wat Phra Singh. If you walk west along Ratchadamnern from Thapae Gate, the second intersection with a traffic light is Phrappaklao Rd. (Phrappaklao runs north and south from Chiang Mai Gate.) Keep going west another 50 meters and we will be on the left side. Get within two blocks of us and you'll hear me screaming...

So......

From Chiang Mai Gate ( in the South) you would go about 1km north on Phrappaklao Rd to the intersection with Ratchadamnern Rd and turn left and go 50 meters.

or

From Thapae Gate (on the East side) you would go straight, less than 1km west, cross Phrappaklao Rd, then we will be 50 meters beyond on the left side.

Hawkins: I’ve got it! I’ve got it! The pellet with the poison’s in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

Griselda: Right, but there’s been a change. They broke the chalice from the palace.

Hawkins: They broke the chalice from the palace?!

Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.

Hawkins: A flagon?

Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.

Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.

Griselda: Right.

Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Hawkins: The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Griselda: Get it?

Hawkins: Got it.

Griselda: Good!

Got it. I was mixing up the gates.

Hope to be able to make it.

Last night was one of the very best music nights we've had in quite a while. Lot's of players, lots of singers, and plenty of good fun!

The music genre ran through Delta Blues, Harry Belafonte's Calypso songs, old English ballads, Bluegrass, folk-rock, Appalachian traditional tunes, Eric Clapton's music, Gordon Lightfoot, Irish tunes, and more. I hope that next week's gathering will be even better. And it will be if more of you come along and join the fun!

Last night was one of the very best music nights we've had in quite a while. Lot's of players, lots of singers, and plenty of good fun!

The music genre ran through Delta Blues, Harry Belafonte's Calypso songs, old English ballads, Bluegrass, folk-rock, Appalachian traditional tunes, Eric Clapton's music, Gordon Lightfoot, Irish tunes, and more. I hope that next week's gathering will be even better. And it will be if more of you come along and join the fun!

Yes, it was great fun, we played for about 2 1/2 hours and covered loads songs from different music genres.

Let's hope next week we get some new people.

I can see these Tuesday nights being a regular occurrence for me.

Thanks for having me!

Apparently a few people go in Archers Bar on a Thursday night for folk music.

That's right. It's the locale for traditional British folk music, playing in a bar. It was started by one of our group who wanted a single specific music genre.

On Tuesday evenings we we play more American folk music, Blues, Bluegrass, Jazz, folk-rock, British folk music, and some Country music, with the heaviest emphasis on American folk music and Blues. Our venue is a covered outdoor restaurant in a guest house.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, another good night yesterday, thanks for having me, got in a good 3 hours of playing and was fun, even a bit of a crowd

there too.

See you next week!

Glad that you enjoyed. I think we all did. It was especially nice to have the lovely Aussie woman join us and play in for the first couple of hours. It added to the music. She said she'd be back next week, so we ought to have more of the same. I'm working on a couple of new (old) songs to bring to the group... some traditional Irish tunes!

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the nicer weather is here, we're playing music in the afternoons too. We're meeting in the same place, around 14:30 on Tuesdays. Everyone is welcome to play in, regardless of skill level. No 'Open Mic,' no amplification. Just like-minded people getting together for fun and (hopefully) good music.

Now that the nicer weather is here, we're playing music in the afternoons too. We're meeting in the same place, around 14:30 on Tuesdays. Everyone is welcome to play in, regardless of skill level. No 'Open Mic,' no amplification. Just like-minded people getting together for fun and (hopefully) good music.

Pity I can't make it just now as I have had to cancel my November trip so I will 'warble' along in Feb/Mar. See you all then.

Pity I can't make it just now as I have had to cancel my November trip so I will 'warble' along in Feb/Mar. See you all then.

We'll still be playing and having fun, so join us when you can!

Yesterday's jam put out a lot of good music across a broad range of genre, from Beatles to Baez, Nash to Nashville.

I'm really don't know downtown CM. I hope this bar/restaurant is found on Google maps. I'm gonna try to find you.

It's not difficult... From the intersection of Rajadamnern and Proppaklau (Sp?) the guest house is about 50 meters west, just before the 'Writer's Pub' on the same side. Rajadamnern is the street that runs east to west between Thapae Gate and Wat Phra Sing, in the middle of the Old City. If you get close, you'll probably hear us!

• 3 months later...

Hi all are the music sessions still happening on a tuesday at the garden and thursday at the arches cheers

We are still playing on Tuesday afternoons rather than evenings. The Guesthouse has hired bands to play at night time, so we've moved to afternoons.

We are also playing at Huay Tung Tao in the afternoons, but not on a regular basis. If you want to send me your phone number, I'll give you a call when we schedule the next session there, and let you know were at the lake we are.

'

• Like 1

Nice update FolkGuitar, the world needs more music, and I'm not talking about the lone listener plugged into his iPod, or whatever device they use these days, I'm talking about musical interaction. Heck, you don't even your average Joe singing these days. Silent head bobbing seems to have replaced the musical lip exercises of yesteryear!

I have two guitars sitting at home, both Ibanez. One is over 22 years old, and the other a newish exotic wood semi acoustic. Sometimes I have a strum of an evening, and although I'm not very good, I think the neighbors enjoy the sound because they tend to bang on the wall along with the beat, or at least I think that's what they're doing!

I'm in the process of moving shortly, but once I get settled down, I will probably come and check you out. Meeting with other likeminded musical folks is something I always wanted to do, but still haven't bothered to follow through on – yet!

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

• 3 weeks later...

We're still playing at the guest house every Tuesday afternoon. We don't make Youtube videos... we just make live music. :)

Blues, folk, Pop, Calypso, Bluegrass, jazz.... a bit of everything depending upon who shows up to play!

Everyone is welcome to sit in. It's NOT an 'open mic' to entertain others. It's a jam to entertain ourselves. Come on down!

finally pulled my guitar out the case it has been lying in for over a year....might try to join you all tomorrow......what time do people start gathering and can someone point me in the right direction cheers jamie

We start between 2:00-2:30

50 meters west of the Prappakhlao Rd/Ratchadamnoen Rd intersection on Ratchadamnoen Rd. (That's the street that runs E-W from Thapae Gate to Wat Phra Sing.) Guest house garden, table off to the side... It shouldn't be too hard to find us. We'll be the one's playing guitars.

By the way, no limit on instruments. Guitar, banjo, uke, Spoons, hand drums, mandolin, fiddle, kazoo, nose flute.... If you enjoy playing it, and play folk music, (at any level) I'll be happy to sit down with you for a 'hootenanny!'

Be in Chiang Mai in less than a week Folk, and would love to jam w/ya, but traveling very light without any of my guitars.. I do like playing the blues, acoustic or electric, but love the old folk rock songs [Neil Young, America, CSN, Cat Stevens, John Sebastian, Van Morrison, etc] as well as newer acoustic songs, mostly on the 12 - been working on and almost got Hole Hearted by Extreme down - I do love the full sound of a 12..

Any extra guitars to play on?

This article from City Life about expats and tourists now unable to jam together for the not for profit fun and pleasure of it in front of audiences in public places would seem to a serious limit on one's freedom of expression in Thailand - which ironically means freedom?

post-203574-0-59251100-1396362143_thumb.

Edited by BohemianDaddyo

Sad, sad news, and there was.me thinking of travelling to CM to participate. I just realised that this is what I most miss from the England of my youth and is probably one reason on my list of things that I hate about Thailand .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

By the way, no limit on instruments. Guitar, banjo, uke, Spoons, hand drums, mandolin, fiddle, kazoo, nose flute.... If you enjoy playing it, and play folk music, (at any level) I'll be happy to sit down with you for a 'hootenanny!'

Be in Chiang Mai in less than a week Folk, and would love to jam w/ya, but traveling very light without any of my guitars.. I do like playing the blues, acoustic or electric, but love the old folk rock songs [Neil Young, America, CSN, Cat Stevens, John Sebastian, Van Morrison, etc] as well as newer acoustic songs, mostly on the 12 - been working on and almost got Hole Hearted by Extreme down - I do love the full sound of a 12..

There is usually an extra guitar around, owned by one of the guest house staff. In the past he's been agreeable to letting others play it. He's working and can't take the time.

...article about expats and tourists now unable to jam together for the not for profit fun and pleasure of it in front of audiences in public places would seem to a serious limit on one's freedom of expression in Thailand - which ironically means freedom?

Sad, sad news, and there was.me thinking of travelling to CM to participate. I just realised that this is what I most miss from the England of my youth and is probably one reason on my list of things that I hate about Thailand .

Don't let it upset you. Or hate Thailand. We do NOT play in front of audiences in public places. We play off to the side of an empty restaurant around a table, (not on a stage,) un-amplified, and accepting no payment or even free drinks! We are just a couple of friends who get together to play, and have been doing so every week for the past 10 years or so.

We don't entertain anyone but ourselves, and often, not even us! Different people show up to play, but there is a hard-core group of regulars who play in when they are in town. Feel free to join us if you'd like.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is usually an extra guitar around, owned by one of the guest house staff. In the past he's been agreeable to letting others play it. He's working and can't take the time.

...article about expats and tourists now unable to jam together for the not for profit fun and pleasure of it in front of audiences in public places would seem to a serious limit on one's freedom of expression in Thailand - which ironically means freedom?

Don't let it upset you. Or hate Thailand. We do NOT play in front of audiences in public places. We play off to the side of an empty restaurant around a table, (not on a stage,) un-amplified, and accepting no payment or even free drinks! We are just a couple of friends who get together to play, and have been doing so every week for the past 10 years or so.

We don't entertain anyone but ourselves, and often, not even us! Different people show up to play, but there is a hard-core group of regulars who play in when they are in town. Feel free to join us if you'd like.

Great Folk - I might go through withdrawal without picking up a guitar at least a few times while there for a month clap2.gif

I sure won't 'hate' Thailand simply from that "The Music Is Over" article on the Chiang Mai music scene. I can understand the Thai gov't wanting to enforce work visa laws that aren't so enforced in the US, but they seem to have taken it to the extreme in regards to musicians freely jamming in bars and clubs for mere fun by calling it 'work'. There is some comparison I can make to likely the only place one could be made in a back then similarly populated Vegas [only 200K like Chiang Mai back in those days] at a long gone bar on Flamingo Rd near the strip back in the 70s before show room music was taped and the local musicians union was at its height..

This was a local bar strip that musicians went to relax, drink and jam together after getting off work performing in lounge acts and showrooms on the Vegas strip. Here, on any given morning at 3 or 4am, you could walk in and not only listen to some of the world's most talented musicians, but jam with them if ya had the cahones. Used to hang out there in the early 70s during my late teen years [despite 21 drinking age] in utter awe of the talent leaving me an intimated NY boy.. But with enough liquid courage, I'd muster up the cahones to jam from time to time. I would even leave my Guild F212 on the small stage to head off to the Troubadour, or the Moby Grape knowing it would be safe until I came back.

The comparison to Chiang Mai comes from musicians around the world, some infamous, most not so much, walking through the doors of this old 70s jam bar on Flamingo Rd. in Vegas to listen to and sometimes sit in with the local Vegas talent gathering there after work. But it surely wasn't the Feds, or the local cops, or trumped up restrictive laws that stopped this musical expression of talent and freedom.. It was the end of a now famous Vegas cultural era in the later 70s that brought down this memorable local bar ending up as just another titty bar.. It was an end to an era in Vegas that began in the 50s that coincided with also the end of a Great Prosperity in the US from after WW2 to the late 70s. Live orchestras in Show Rooms dying off, greedy corporations and junk bond investors buying up hotel casinos, ever lessening comps for locals, Strip Bar Girls by the 100s picked up and bused out of town by a multimillionaire Sheriff Lamb - all to match a new homogenized Vegas that started at the Circus Circus with a hotel casino marketing campaign toward the middle family market that replaced 'gambling' with the less ominous image of gaming. But all that's another story of perhaps just a yearning for the glory days of youth gone by ..

Regardless of all that, I'll have a laptop with me so will try to get touch when I get there for some Sittin' pickin' and a-grinnin...

• Like 1