New Bigbike

It must be nice to be able to ride something edgy like an R1. Good luck with it.

Not sure how to take that but I am sure you mean in a good way. wink.png

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course it was meant in a good way. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the bike now near 1 month and covered 1000km. Would like to give you that update.

My first impressions was why did I change would have been better staying with the R6 but the more I ride the bike the more I see why its better. The R6 is great due to it having more rpm and it just loved to be opened up and riding hard but the R1 feels really good all the time at any speed. The handling is great as is the breaks and the traction control is great to have and only had it come on one time so far and it kept the back end tailing unlike the R6 (which was fun).

Tried all settings and the A setting is more responsive than the others but I mostly ride on standard setting.

Looking forward to a longer ride next time home did SaKaeo to Aranyaprahtet and it was great smooth ride will try SaKaeo to Pattaya or Phatum Thani next month get a better feel for it.

In a perfect world you could have both bikes, but it's just so damned expensive to do that in LOS...

Your R1 is a completely different weapon from your R6- it will take time to get used to it.

How is the steering in comparison? Is a noticeably higher input necessary?

• Like 1

To be honest it has crossed my mind to go and get the R6 also but will just stick to one.

The steering is great more feel than with the R6 and is smooth round the corners.

Just had the bike now near 1 month and covered 1000km. Would like to give you that update.

My first impressions was why did I change would have been better staying with the R6 but the more I ride the bike the more I see why its better.

What you said about wondering why you changed was exactly how I felt when I switched from 600 to open too.

Although unlike you I never did get to a point where I thought the open class bike was better.

I appreciated it more on longer rides for sure mainly because of the naturally less buzz to it.

But overall? I always felt faster on a 600 than a liter/open if the ride was anything but longer straighter roads.

Could Brake later, get on the gas sooner, carry higher corner speeds it was all better on the 6 for me.

Anything up to 130 mph I was better off on the 600

Funny too because back then they were quite equal in weight.

PS: Is this your old R6?

130604-0000717.jpg]

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I would agree that the 600 feels faster and is more fun compaired to the 1000 but will have more time on it next month when home to try the bike in mode setting A opposed to the standard one I was using, That is my old bike yes just serviced it before I traded it in. Might even buy it back if its still there in a few months if I dont buy a sports car first.

My first impressions was why did I change would have been better staying with the R6 but the more I ride the bike the more I see why its better.

What you said about wondering why you changed was exactly how I felt when I switched from 600 to open too.
Although unlike you I never did get to a point where I thought the open class bike was better.
I appreciated it more on longer rides for sure mainly because of the naturally less buzz to it.

But overall? I always felt faster on a 600 than a liter/open if the ride was anything but longer straighter roads.
Could Brake later, get on the gas sooner, carry higher corner speeds it was all better on the 6 for me.
Anything up to 130 mph I was better off on the 600

Funny too because back then they were quite equal in weight.

PS: Is this your old R6?
130604-0000717.jpg]

Plan on getting frame sliders? Every R6 and R1 i saw in California that went down had a cracked left side engine casing.

btw, your old R6 looks awesome ! love that color.

Yeah it is in very good condition and only done 9000k,

That is my old bike yes just serviced it before I traded it in. Might even buy it back if its still there in a few months if I dont buy a sports car first.

Very nice R6 example wink.png

I did drop it the last day I had it there are a few scratches on the fairing and engine casing. No plans for the sliders but may consider them now as I am at work and always looking for things to buy. :)

Plan on getting frame sliders? Every R6 and R1 i saw in California that went down had a cracked left side engine casing.

I did drop it the last day I had it there are a few scratches on the fairing and engine casing. No plans for the sliders but may consider them now as I am at work and always looking for things to buy. smile.png

I've got the Yoshimura no-cut frame sliders coming next week for my bike- they're probably the best of the bunch- I'm sure they make a set for the R1.

Where did you get them from? I can get from the UK as got some family coming over next month.

I did drop it the last day I had it there are a few scratches on the fairing and engine casing. No plans for the sliders but may consider them now as I am at work and always looking for things to buy. smile.png

I've got the Yoshimura no-cut frame sliders coming next week for my bike- they're probably the best of the bunch- I'm sure they make a set for the R1.

^

I bought them from my usual parts dealer in the States- I think they were USD$115.

Note that I haven't received them yet- I'll get them on Thursday when my brother arrives in LOS as he's bringing some stuff for me- I'll post a pic when they're installed.

• Like 1

I put them on today- it's easy, but you'll need a very narrow 8mm hex socket to fit into the gap through the slider that gives access to the bolt to use your torque wrench (or use an Allen key if you can guesstimate 35lb/ft of torque)- they're pretty plain looking, but seem very well made.

post-176811-0-77926100-1375526015_thumb.

post-176811-0-73153800-1375526026_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

I put them on today- it's easy, but you'll need a very narrow 8mm hex socket to fit into the gap through the slider that gives access to the bolt to use your torque wrench (or use an Allen key if you can guesstimate 35lb/ft of torque)- they're pretty plain looking, but seem very well made.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looking at the second pix it appears the slider doesn't extend out as far as the plastic below. Is that right?