Legal Phuket tuk-tuk speaks out against ‘black’ drivers

Lite Beer

Legal Phuket tuk-tuk speaks out against ‘black’ drivers

Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-36914-0-21044500-1372834445_thumb.j

A file photo shows mini taxis queuing up in Phuket. Photo by Sombat Raksakul

PHUKET: A legitimate tuk-tuk driver in Patong today (June 3) spoke out about the tension between legal and illegal local transport in the town, which is threatening to boil over into something nasty as business dwindles with the low season.

The tuk-tuk driver, speaking to The Phuket News on condition of anonymity, explained, “Normally, I stand by next to the Jungceylon shopping mall. I’ve been hearing about ‘black tuk-tuks’ for a long time.

“I understood that they want to work to make a living. They don’t seem to have a centre – they just drive around Patong, usually at nighttime, picking up tourists by offering fares that are lower than the standard.

“Sometimes they get business by making appointments [with tourists], or sometimes they get customers through referrals from friends.

“I have never been harmed or threatened by any of them, but they do have an effect on my income. For example, in the high season tuk-tuk drivers can make about B4,000 a day. But now it’s B1,000 a day or less.”

He echoed the views of those who have in the past criticised “black” taxis working elsewhere in the island.

“Black tuk-tuks in Patong are not safe; there have been crimes committed by some of the drivers, and when tourists forget a bag or a mobile phone or a wallet in a black tuk-tuk, they never get it back.

“The reason is that they are not registered, so there is no list of them, which makes it impossible to identify them later on.

“Most of the tuk-tuks in Patong belong to large local cooperatives of as many as 700 or 800 drivers. Being a member makes it easier to get legitimised by the transportation department.

“I have been driving a tuk-tuk for a long time. I see many ‘fake’ tuk-tuks in Patong but they are not arrested. Why are they still allowed to operate illegally in Patong? I worry that bad things will happen to tourists.”

He offered advice to visitors to the island: “Look for the yellow sign that says ‘Hot line 1150’ on the side of the tuk-tuk. That will be guarantee that this is a legal tuk-tuk,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/legal-phuket-tuk-tuk-speak-out-against-%E2%80%98black%E2%80%99-drivers-40588.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-07-03

• Like 1

Now we got some numbers.

High season: 700-800 drivers in Patong, each getting B4000. That's B2.8M to B3.2M each day.

In one month totaling as 100 million baht.

Low season this drops B25M per month.

These black taxi's/tuktuks are not the same black taxi's the fuss is about at the moment. The ones he is talking about are the result of the very high prices the taxis/tuktuks that are part of the co-operations are charging. The other thread is about illegal taxis/tuktuks that are part of the taxi/tuktuk co-operations.

In business, competing on price is a standard thing. Sounds like this guy needs to get off his high horse (er, front seat?) and stop waiting for tourists to rip off. Phuket's government can play an educational role, but unless they're ready to start confiscating tuk-tuks (and prevent them from being easily re-acquired)...

“I understood that they want to work to make a living. They don’t seem to have a centre – they just drive around Patong, usually at nighttime, picking up tourists by offering fares that are lower than the standard."

That would be the 'standard' grossly inflated rip-off fare that your lot are charging. Get it right up you...nothing like a bit of healthy competetion to look after the consumer's best interests, eh...

My heart bleeds for them, the poor dears....

• Like 1

So are we all hating the illegal tuk tuk drivers or the legal ones here?

Hate's a bit strong a word to be using - even for this lot. I've got no issues with paying anyone whatever the going rate is for any given service, however; when I know that I'm being ripped off - and often not even politely or with a smile - then I take exception to that.

Remember too that it's not only farang that need to use these services - for that is ultimately what they are...services - local Thais also need to use them, so either they're being ripped off too or there's the usual '2 tier' pricing system in operation, which hacks people off even more.

Sorry mate, in my book they've got no-one to blame but themselves for this situation and if the end result of all of this is a fairer deal for the consumer, irrespective of race, then whats the problem..?

• Like 1

Now we got some numbers.

High season: 700-800 drivers in Patong, each getting B4000. That's B2.8M to B3.2M each day.

wow these guys earn loads

4000 baht per day x 6 days a week =24,000 per week

times that by say 6 months = 624,000 for a half year

falangs legal wage@ 50,000 per month x 6 months =300,000 for half year

these guys are minted

are they all paying their taxes is my next question ?

• Like 1

No they can't be earning that much, we have a poster who has already said they don't earn much on another thread. Also, apparently the cost of living is higher in Phuket than the rest of the country so it is normal for fares to be higher.

Poor poor tuk tuk drivers only earning up to 4000 a day. Must be REAL expensive to live in Phuket. Bit like New York.

Sarcasm button.

• Like 1

“Black tuk-tuks in Patong are not safe; there have been crimes committed by some of the drivers, and when tourists forget a bag or a mobile phone or a wallet in a black tuk-tuk, they never get it back.'

pot calling kettle black?

“I have been driving a tuk-tuk for a long time. I see many ‘fake’ tuk-tuks in Patong but they are not arrested. Why are they still allowed to operate illegally in Patong? I worry that bad things will happen to tourists.”

worse than now?

He offered advice to visitors to the island: “Look for the yellow sign that says ‘Hot line 1150’ on the side of the tuk-tuk. That will be guarantee that this is a legal tuk-tuk,” he said.

so that is the new customising accessory - hot line 1155 lol

I pay 150 B for a short trip and 200 B for a longer about 5 km, don´t care if it is black, red or white.

Some ask for 500B for a short, so I take the black for 150 B

They price themself out of the market - their problem.

“Black tuk-tuks in Patong are not safe; there have been crimes committed by some of the drivers, and when tourists forget a bag or a mobile phone or a wallet in a black tuk-tuk, they never get it back."

Same goes for you too buddy!

Now we got some numbers.

Low season this drops B25M per month

The jerk has the gall to complain about only making 1000 baht a day in low season...down from the 4000 in high season..tough titties....Jeez the minimum wage here is 300 baht for most other unskilled semi-illiterate workers..he should be thankful he can earn it so easily....Not exactly a highly demanding occupation , mentally or physically ,is it? bah.gif

They better hope that all the zillion taxi cabs in Bangkok don't hear how much they are making in Phuket or there will be a stampede to move down south. I highly doubt that many if any BKK taxi drivers makes anywhere near 4000 baht a day and frankly driving around in BKK traffic seems a whole lot worse job than driving around Phuket.

I wonder how many of the govt bureacrats this "legal tuk tuk" guy is complaining to make 4000 baht a day.....other than via bribes I would guess zero of them.

Now we got some numbers.

these guys are minted

Speak for yourself but I wouldnt get out of bed for 50,000 baht a month

Also 4000 baht a day isnt much, no doubt you would have to pay half of that to the taxi cooperative, and then take out 10,000 baht a month for finance on the tuk tuk

Now we got some numbers.

these guys are minted

Speak for yourself but I wouldnt get out of bed for 50,000 baht a month

Also 4000 baht a day isnt much, no doubt you would have to pay half of that to the taxi cooperative, and then take out 10,000 baht a month for finance on the tuk tuk

Recently i read on this forum that tuk-tuks pay 500baht /day in high season and 300baht/day in low season,to the son of the influencial person so no doubt you are not correct.smile.png

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

So are we all hating the illegal tuk tuk drivers or the legal ones here?

I like the illegal ones pickup up people, the ones the guy in the OP is complaining about, they are cheaper than the legal and illegal ones operating from the taxi/tuktuk stands. If enough illegal ones come the legal ones are in the shit, and it seems to beheading that way.

Oooooh, you poor Tuktuk driverssick.gif Making only 1000-4000 THB per day, and dare to complain sick.gif

Not sure if it is true, but probably all of these mafia characters started as an illegal driver, and now they are 'legal' and start to complain. I have nothing than contempt for these guys!!!

In my bad days (when I stayed in Phuket)(biggest mistake of my life) I never ever took a tuktuk... I rather walk for hours!

Phuket without tuktuks and tourists must be a paradisewink.png