The Cost of my Life in Thailand.

I lived very happily with only ฿25'000/mth/family here in Chiang Rai...

I live very happily with only ฿300,000/month here in Thonglor
Only 300k Baht / Month.

Personally I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 400k / month.

That's the spirit.

These threads so often turn into a pissing contest to see who can live on less, I just thought I'd open the bidding at 300K.

That covers rent at the Quattro, 200/20 ultra high speed internet, http://www.absolutefitfood.com/ for when I eat in, Iron Fairies or Maggie Choos for when I don't, cocktails at Grease in soi 49, a permanent VIP table at Bash on soi 11 for when I feel like slumming 'til 7am and 12 grams of 60% pure Peruvian flake each month.

I can't begin to imagine how anyone could survive on less

You forgot to mention the monthly costs Beluga, Bolly and Stolly....wink.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very reluctant to post this, because most readers will probably comment with: NOT POSSIBLE.

Here it is: My monthly average expenses are 13'500 Bht. (Excluding Visa & health insurance).

- I live (alone) in the sticks.

- I have no rent to pay.

- My electric bill is always "0"

- My water bill is always "0"

- I have no "mia-noi"

I smoke, I drink and have a good live.

If I want to spend more, I have to hit places like Bangkok, Pattaya etc. (And I do so on a regular basis.)

Here in the sticks I could not spend more, even if I wanted to.

So, is Thailand an expensive place to live? Can be for some, but not really for me.

Cheers.

Quite funny coming from a poster, who not too long ago started a thread about, he could not afford to get laid giggle.gif , because the local hookers were charging to much!!

• Like 2

OP, thanks for your post, but you did not calculate many expenses (although you did say your actual costs are higher).

Car:

If you buy a car today for 600K baht, it will be worth 300K in 8 years (more or less, depreciation in Thailand is slow).

So you 'spend' 300K/8 = about 37K per year on car depreciation = roughly 3K per month.

Add to that car insurance = 10K per year = 0.8K per month

Servicing and repairs = 10K per year = 0.8K per month

Clothing = ? per year/month

I probably spend 10-15K per year, just for myself

Appliances: PC, TV, fridge, air-con, mobile phone, tablet - all have to be repaired or replaced once every few years

Cable TV = 1.5-2K per month

Phone/mobile bills

Internet = 0.7K per month

Visa extensions (1,900 every 3 months)

Health costs = ?

All in all, the list above would be anywhere from 10-20K per month, depending on your lifestyle and habits.

And of course, like you said, this doesn't include vacations, going out, hobbies etc.

I am very reluctant to post this, because most readers will probably comment with: NOT POSSIBLE.

Here it is: My monthly average expenses are 13'500 Bht. (Excluding Visa & health insurance).

- I live (alone) in the sticks.

- I have no rent to pay.

- My electric bill is always "0"

- My water bill is always "0"

- I have no "mia-noi"

I smoke, I drink and have a good live.

If I want to spend more, I have to hit places like Bangkok, Pattaya etc. (And I do so on a regular basis.)

Here in the sticks I could not spend more, even if I wanted to.

So, is Thailand an expensive place to live? Can be for some, but not really for me.

Cheers.

Very true... I could live with only ฿150 per day on my own in the stick as there's nothing much to spent.

My expenses of ฿25'000/mth include car and bike installment, bills and raising my son... and no mia noi too.

OP, thanks for your post, but you did not calculate many expenses (although you did say your actual costs are higher).

Car:

If you buy a car today for 600K baht, it will be worth 300K in 8 years (more or less, depreciation in Thailand is slow).

So you 'spend' 300K/8 = about 37K per year on car depreciation = roughly 3K per month.

Add to that car insurance = 10K per year = 0.8K per month

Servicing and repairs = 10K per year = 0.8K per month

Clothing = ? per year/month

I probably spend 10-15K per year, just for myself

Appliances: PC, TV, fridge, air-con, mobile phone, tablet - all have to be repaired or replaced once every few years

Cable TV = 1.5-2K per month

Phone/mobile bills

Internet = 0.7K per month

Visa extensions (1,900 every 3 months)

Health costs = ?

All in all, the list above would be anywhere from 10-20K per month, depending on your lifestyle and habits.

And of course, like you said, this doesn't include vacations, going out, hobbies etc.

Spot on.

That's where our 40k odd of neccessaties becomes 50-60k in reality. :)

As said that doesn't include holidays, which are on the back burner due to a newborn. Or of course our monthly savings.

Well it's cool you can live here for so cheap man. I can't and though I can still save if I could hold that budget I would be able to retire much sooner.

Well if your Av is a picture of your workplace I'm sure you're pulling 500k p/m minimum, so no need to worry about much financially. :D

I find it really bizarre when people are saying it's not possible to live off 60,000B per month in Thailand.

60,000B per month is £1280.

In the UK someone on minimum wage only makes around £900 after taxes.

I know because only a couple of years ago that's what I was earning on slightly more than min wage.

If it's possible to live off £900 a month in the UK it's more than possible to live off £1280 or 60,000B in Thailand.

I know young guys living in BKK on 25,000B to 30,000B.

They aren't living the high life and partying every night but they aren't slumming it either and do enjoy themselves.

I've just moved to BKK and I plan to live on around 45,000 to 50,000 a month.

I know I'm not going to be going crazy all the time but at the same time I spent 5 months here as a tourist not so long ago, stayed in hotels, travelled all over the country, drank every night, partied a lot, did a lot of activities etc and certainly wasn't slumming it in 200B a night guest houses or eating pad thai every day and I didn't spend more than 70,000 a month.

Now I have an apartment that is around 11,000 a month cheaper than what I spent on hotels, I won't drink or party every night, won't be travelling around the country, doing tourist things or any activities, will be keeping the costs down for food, drinking, dating etc so I can't possibly see how I'm going to spend anywhere close to what I did last time.

I do wonder if a lot of the guys claiming it's impossible either don't realise they have a lot of extra things to spend money on that not everyone else has OR are squandering loads of money on hookers and don't realise that not everyone else does?

I won't drink or party every night, won't be travelling around the country, doing tourist things or any activities, will be keeping the costs down for food, drinking, dating etc

Best of luck to you, begs the question, why are you coming here?

Is this just for a short time stint, or are you planning on moving here full time and living like that?

You dont mention your age or circumstances, are you married, are you retired with a pension?

Do you have children to be educated, do you have a wife etc etc?

Whats your pension plan looking like, do you have a retirement plan, do you have a job to go back to?

Best of luck to you, begs the question, why are you coming here?

Is this just for a short time stint, or are you planning on moving here full time and living like that?

You dont mention your age or circumstances, are you married, are you retired with a pension?

Do you have children to be educated, do you have a wife etc etc?

Whats your pension plan looking like, do you have a retirement plan, do you have a job to go back to?

I plan to live here for minimum 6 months but I hope longer depending on my money situation.

If I can live here for 6 months like that then I don't see why I couldn't live indefinitely like that.

I'm 28, single, no children.

I'm not intending to work here but I have income sources which are not fixed and vary from month to month which is why I can't say for sure if I will be here past 6 months.

My rent is lower than I anticipated and I get free WiFi so my costs are lower than expected.

Not sure what electricity and water is going to cost me but I've over budgeted for that until I find out so my monthly expenses should be a little less than I thought.

Anyway in case my point wasn't clear the people claiming that living on less than 60,000 a month are assuming that everyone has the same costs as them such as kids, hookers, cable TV (something I don't need or want), cars, school fees, sponsoring their 'girlfriend' etc.

Edited by TheSpade

That's the spirit.

These threads so often turn into a pissing contest to see who can live on less, I just thought I'd open the bidding at 300K.

That covers rent at the Quattro, 200/20 ultra high speed internet, http://www.absolutefitfood.com/ for when I eat in, Iron Fairies or Maggie Choos for when I don't, cocktails at Grease in soi 49, a permanent VIP table at Bash on soi 11 for when I feel like slumming 'til 7am and 12 grams of 60% pure Peruvian flake each month.

where you getting your flake?

Edited by joeaverage

Anyhoo...love budget threads. brings out the best in people....those that can not believe some of us live on less than 20,000b/p/m and then those that feel anything less than 100,000b/p/m is a joke.

Guess it is all on how you set yourself up and where? If "you" have to do all the supplying then yes your monthly expenses are more. If however you are fortunate enough to meet a partner who is a little more self sufficient then your average Thai woman (ie - has her own vehicles, house, income, savings) then those monthly expenses are greatly reduced.

Rent - 0 baht - house paid for

Water - 0 baht - "uncle" operates the resorvoir for the local government

Electricity - 350 baht (5 bedroom home, 2 bathrooms, living room and out front sala - most air con) Isaan living electricity is subsidized

Food - 3,500 baht/month - but we live on 5 rai of land mostly farming (rice, tomatoes, chickens, duck, fish, other odds and sods)

Entertainment - TV (free - but I speak Thai so can watch local thai channels and football), internet 100baht/month

Vehicles - paid for just the average costs as others 4,000baht/month

Visa - married - money in the bank rolled over every year. 1,900baht

Children - 2,000 baht a month, both are gifted and will receive free schooling up until university (may have to pay for uni)

Medical - sponsored program - zero cost

Some extras like a boat, kayaks, mountain bikes, boogie boards, windsurfers etc....but then again we live a pretty boring life not going out to bars or restaurants.

Monthly expenses and living less than 20,000 baht a month....but this is not to say that it is possible to live in Thailand cheaply. I can and others have as well but it depends on who you attract as a spouse. Mine happens to be financially self sufficient and is able to and willing to assist in obtaining some "perks" for her Falang husband....

Would hazard a guess and say greater than 70% of farangs living in Thailand dont follow this sensible advice, and one suspects most wouldnt even have the equivilant of 1 months expenses in the bank in reserve

That's probably about the same percentage of people in USA in the same position. So what's your point, Thailand's no different from anywhere else?

very nice to see thatl life in europe is still alot cheaper then in thailand,consumer electronics for one are alot cheaper in Belgium then Thailand what a great deal you have done by moving to thailand

very nice to see thatl life in europe is still alot cheaper then in thailand,consumer electronics for one are alot cheaper in Belgium then Thailand what a great deal you have done by moving to thailand

You're probably right ... So I manage buy the few consumer electronic things that I need on my once every one or two year trips to the USA including a new laptop. Just about everything else then excepting clothes/shoes is still cheaper in Thailand than USA

My budget was somewhat similar when I was 22 and single here.

Nowadays though the kids want trips to Soneva Kiri among other places... and that budget covers about one day without eating or drinking anything.

smile.png

You're probably right ... So I manage buy the few consumer electronic things that I need on my once every one or two year trips to the USA including a new laptop. Just about everything else then excepting clothes/shoes is still cheaper in Thailand than USA
A full health insurance is also cheaper in my country even when over 65 and pre excisting conditions.

if you are enjoying a simple life in Bangkok, that is about right !

Agree.

We used to live downtown and used to get a lot of food delivered from Chefsxp instead of cooking, lots more going out too. Was probably double what we spent now and the missus was also renting a business unit.

IMO BKK on less than 60k would not be an enjoyable existence.

does not even touch on cable tv (apparently the tv is on all day), generally around 2k, i have 30/3 true hispeed (2k with taxes etc) telephone and data packages for 2 2K

add 6 k minimum to the fixed costs you state.

should you go in to the city, 200-300 thb each way for taxis, otherwise same amount expended on gas and parking.

i think if you were honest you would admit your simple life costs you much closer to 100k pm than the 42 you describe here.

what about health insurance?

A full health insurance is also cheaper in my country even when over 65 and pre excisting conditions.

But in USA for an individual health insurance policy not when you are under 65 -- There are a lot of things that are less expensive in USA but I do not choose to live in Thailand just to save on expenses.

Edited by JLCrab

And this is the reason I will never give up residency in the US. For about $100 a month I have full health coverage for the rest of my life which is something I couldn't grow old with in Thailand. I can get a free complete physical before taking off on a 90 holiday in Thailand a couple of times a year, and as long as I'm able to travel and get back onto US soil I'm covered.

I love being in Thailand but I don't need or want to move there. I love it when I'm there, but I also like it when I get home to nice uncrowded streets where people obey traffic laws, sidewalks are uncluttered, water is safe to drink, there's no litter, I don't smell sewer or see rats, and I return to my home which I actually own!! I also don't need anyone's permission to be here.

My weather here is mild and I don't feel a need to escape cold, but I can escape to Thailand if I want.

So, I enjoy the best of both, taking breaks from each.

How much does it cost me to live? A ton with travel, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It costs me US$15,000 to go to Thailand for 90 days including air fare and Avis car rental and hotels, meals, etc., but it's worth it to me. I'll be back in August.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

That's the spirit.

where you getting your flake?

Same as everybody else looking for quality . . . the police laugh.png

...and I thought my 100% pure "kellogian" corn flake was expensive at 130 baht per 400g! Need a new dealer...but that is Isaan living for yah.

laugh.pngclap2.gif

• 2 months later...

Do not forget that also part of the "cost" of life in Thailand is not only the outlandish costs of some consumer electronics but the absolutely shoddy quality of electrical household appliances. When I first arrived, I bought what I thought was the best quality. And I learned an expensive lesson. Buy cheap, because most everything will go bust in a year or two anyway. Just look at the last four year period and I have had to buy:

3 coffeemakers (especially avoid Electrolux)

2 electric stovetops (did I mention to avoid Electrolux)

2 propane stovetops

2 TVs (should never have bought the crappy Philips; LG is better all the way around)

1 Replacement fan (the Hataris seem to work well, but other brands are junk waiting to happen)

3 DVD players (Philips again--the thing actually caught on fire while it was turned OFF)

2 laptops (the Dells apparently came with a hard drive issue that the retailer didn't think worth noting)

2 electric swizzle sticks

1 Replacement a/c

2 Remote controls for the Truevisions box

2 Toaster ovens

Won't mention the details of the office chair that broke within a year, the doorbell that fizzled, the outside lighting that stopped working after the flood.

I owned similar items in the US and some were 40 years and older and still in working without the slightest problem. I have never had so many electrical items simply fail on me as I have had here. I thought it might simply be the case that Thailand is China's dumping ground. But many of these items are assembled here in LOS. I guess I'm just enjoying the attention and craftsmanship of quality Thai manufacturing. Anyway, when you come to Thailand and buy household electronics, you better look for Buy One Get One Free, because you're going to need it real soon.

Do not forget that also part of the "cost" of life in Thailand is not only the outlandish costs of some consumer electronics but the absolutely shoddy quality of electrical household appliances. When I first arrived, I bought what I thought was the best quality. And I learned an expensive lesson. Buy cheap, because most everything will go bust in a year or two anyway. Just look at the last four year period and I have had to buy:

3 coffeemakers (especially avoid Electrolux)

2 electric stovetops (did I mention to avoid Electrolux)

2 propane stovetops

2 TVs (should never have bought the crappy Philips; LG is better all the way around)

1 Replacement fan (the Hataris seem to work well, but other brands are junk waiting to happen)

3 DVD players (Philips again--the thing actually caught on fire while it was turned OFF)

2 laptops (the Dells apparently came with a hard drive issue that the retailer didn't think worth noting)

2 electric swizzle sticks

1 Replacement a/c

2 Remote controls for the Truevisions box

2 Toaster ovens

Won't mention the details of the office chair that broke within a year, the doorbell that fizzled, the outside lighting that stopped working after the flood.

I owned similar items in the US and some were 40 years and older and still in working without the slightest problem. I have never had so many electrical items simply fail on me as I have had here. I thought it might simply be the case that Thailand is China's dumping ground. But many of these items are assembled here in LOS. I guess I'm just enjoying the attention and craftsmanship of quality Thai manufacturing. Anyway, when you come to Thailand and buy household electronics, you better look for Buy One Get One Free, because you're going to need it real soon.

This is true actually. Not sure what the "name and shame" rules are here but my casualty list includes:

Toshiba television (lasted 18 months)

Minoya oven (gradually declined over 6 months, it was cheap, to be fair)

Samsung microwave (at the repairers for the 3rd time in the 6 months since we bought it)

Samsung Note II (Kept freezing, Samsung Thailand not the least bit interested and denied what seems to be a well known problem)

Toyota Hilux (Generally fine but rubbish finish on the leather seats and bits of trim falling off after 3 months. Fixed under warranty)

Various pots and pans that just fall to bits after a few months of normal use.

Some silly brand gas stove top that has basically 2 settings - waste gas slowly, or incinerate everything within 50 feet of the stove.

Not to mention tailor made suits that fit worse than my off the rack suits from back home, "high quality" tailor made shirts that look like Tesco T shirts after 3 washes, comedy furniture that is ready for the bin before it's assembled and a host of other minor failures with what should be decent quality goods.

Good experiences with:

Small, round Otto oven that still cooks really well after 2 years.

Sharp air conditioning that was worked faultlessly for 18 months

Ancient Honda 2 stroke motorbike that I bought for 7000 Baht 3 years ago and has never gone wrong

Ikea cast iron frying pan. It would be kind of hard to go wrong with a big chunk of cast iron, really, but nothing would surprise me.

Oh and a 20 year old house (rented) that is falling to bits.

A drill that would be a poor whisk.

Flip flops that flop more than flip.

A speaker for my wife's iPhone that was worse than the speaker in the phone.

Too many to list

Yes, the houses. I actually live in a 40 year old rented house that went through the 2011 floods underwater for 2 months. They seem to have built them better back then. No foundation problems, no subsidence, no wall or paving problems. Just the wiring to the outdoor lights which now only works for half of them. And THAT didn't bother me until recently when someone tried to break in the house while I was home because it apparently looked dark. Now, I know why the neighbors keep the lights on.

BTW, love the warranty on some of this stuff: just bring it in, they say, and of course the trip to the service center is so far and so stressful that it's usually just better to go ahead and buy something new.