Can not run dtac 3g modem on debian 7

darkrain

Hello!

Today i bought new 3g modem from Dtac, but i can not run on my debian. I try used wvdial.

It's my configuration:

root@debian:~# lsusb | grep 'GSM'
Bus 002 Device 021: ID 12d1:1506 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398 LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard
root@debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1 i686 GNU/Linux

root@debian:~# ls /dev | grep 'USB'
ttyUSB0
ttyUSB1
ttyUSB2

root@debian:~# cat /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99#
ISDN = 0
Username = ''
Init1 = ATZ
Password = ''
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 9600
My lsmod - http://hastebin.com/kocilesudi.hs

And when i run wvdial:

root@debian:~# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
--> Invalid dial command.
--> Disconnecting at Thu Jul  4 01:11:44 2013
If i correctly understand, i must enter correct phone number, but i don't know what enter. Number on sim? my number has a format 08808131**, if i use this number, i get same error.

Help me please make correct config for wvdial!

Edited by darkrain

try this number *99***1# correct for ais. think it is ok for dtac not sure.

could be else *99***2#

if there is a config variable for APN it is "internet" (no quotes) for ais which could also work for dtac

ais sim cards are not expensive:)

see how you go, if not i'll look in my pussy which is substantially debian.

Edited by ttwitt

Maybe a dumb question but has the modem been activated? You may need to do that from Dtac's Windows based programme. It MAY be possible using an

echo ATDT*104*22*9# > /dev/usb0

You can also use the same command to try ringing your cell....

**edit**

If you have access to wifi or cabled install network manager; for those who never used hayes commands it can be quite intimidating.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by dave_boo

Maybe a dumb question but has the modem been activated? You may need to do that from Dtac's Windows based programme. It MAY be possible using an echo ATDT*104*22*9# > /dev/usb0 You can also use the same command to try ringing your cell.... **edit** If you have access to wifi or cabled install network manager; for those who never used hayes commands it can be quite intimidating. Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After this actions i get this:

NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT*104*22*9#
--> Waiting for carrier.
^CCaught signal 2:  Attempting to exit gracefully...
ATDT*104*22*9#
NO CARRIER
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jul  5 23:39:55 2013

Maybe a dumb question but has the modem been activated? You may need to do that from Dtac's Windows based programme. It MAY be possible using an echo ATDT*104*22*9# > /dev/usb0 You can also use the same command to try ringing your cell.... **edit** If you have access to wifi or cabled install network manager; for those who never used hayes commands it can be quite intimidating. Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

NO CARRIER
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*104*22*9#
NO CARRIER

i didnt have to do this initialization on either of the two phones i have used as modems.

this "no carrier" message can be a real problem in some areas. i think it means that the network is jammed up with phone calls because it will sometimes/occasionally get through without needing to change settings, but you gotta be persistent. but then if it does connect it will drop out frequently. i'm guessing your not in a major tourist destination. although i have had this no carrier problem consistently in places such as pak chong and nakorn pathom.

NO CARRIER
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*104*22*9#
NO CARRIER
i didnt have to do this initialization on either of the two phones i have used as modems.

this "no carrier" message can be a real problem in some areas. i think it means that the network is jammed up with phone calls because it will sometimes/occasionally get through without needing to change settings, but you gotta be persistent. but then if it does connect it will drop out frequently. i'm guessing your not in a major tourist destination. although i have had this no carrier problem consistently in places such as pak chong and nakorn pathom.

May be, but I receive a lot of messages and very fast.

ok a bit more thinking about initiation strings. i have used mostly the guis in puppy distros which do this initiation type thing before it even tries to connect, just by pressing a button in the gui it probes and gives an initiation string, which i assume it then passes along the line somewhere. but i vaguely recall using wvdial in pussy and something in knoppix to get a connection and i am still absolutely certain i did not need to enter that code ATDT*104*22*9# anywhere. not here nor in neighboring SEA countries on their networks.

• 3 weeks later...

I run PClinuxOS KDE.

I understand your problem as it drove my nuts for weeks but later found it was not my card or config but the usb switching script at that time was the main problem dealing with some cards which have the virtual CD on them and its desire to mount was screwing things up.

Mine now works out of the box with just the network manager (now it does anyway) but it was not always so. It will use the info provided by the program if it is up to date. The distro needed to have update usb switching and a few other depends. If they are all up to date you don't have to do anything other then give it time after plugging in to sort i.e. 2 minutes sometimes. Ask network manager to disconnect the normal eth0 connect and enable the 3g connection - then after the first time it works faster and automatically.

Even better I have now a wifi/router with 3G option and just plug it in and it brings the whole LAN to the internet by itself. Works with the true card also. It will auto disconnect the internet only leaving the LAN up after 3 min without internet activity and reconnects it if you ask for internet i.e. open firefox or other app. and it just dials out and connects the LAN. Any PC on the LAN can activity the WAN connection this way.

I can use the card at home in the LAN with router complete with wifi or in my laptop on the road. No tweaking was needed other then the right depends being installed by the disto's maintainers. Use there forum they maybe should be working on this or have because it must have been over a year I solved this issue.