How big is this piece of land?

Thanks everyone for their input. We are quite convinced now that the land is 8.5 to 9 rai.

Many of you seem concerned about how we can purchase land with no title and no survey. This is a remote mountain village and no one has paper for any of their land here. What you do is make an agreement with the land owner, and their relatives, and the land owners of adjacent properties. And you get it down in writing with the village headman's approval, and then it is yours.

In this case we know all of the parties involved.

I don't know where they got the odd figure of 22 rai. But it is a piece of land they haven't touched for a long time and they probably never really knew how big it is. Wishful thinking and all that.

Now we all know how big it is, so we will make an offer based on what we know.

If you are going to make an offer without paperwork then so be it.. Make an initial offer based on the price per Rai that you want to pay for 9 Rai. If they insist that it is 22 Rai, reduce the offer per Rai to 9/22 nds of the initial offer per Rai.

I know of 4 small Thai houses that were built near me on land sold to them without the proper paperwork. When they finished they were unable to obtain a blue book and PEA would not hook up the electric power. They now exist with long "extension cords" drapped from the house across the road. Turns out that the people that sold them the land didn't actullly own it, it is goverment land and they had leased it from the government and the lease had expired. The new "squatters" have never done the proper paperwork to lease it from the government so that they can get power and they have not gotten the money back from the people that they purchased it from The people that sold it to them actually live in the house across the street that is supplying power to them and their all still friends! Happens all the time where I live "Mai Pen Rai"!

in australia a drop ... as you said is 30 metres... is NOT included as it is unusable. I own land here and my solicitor says tge kaws are similar for measuring space... what YOU PAY FOR. so tell that nasty crooked thief.. survey the land and pay the lowest.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Get the land office to survey, shouldn't be more than 5k.....until then, you really don't know what you are buying. I am guessing the current 'owner' has said something like 'it starts at this tree, go up to that coconut tree, over to that big mango tree there, then cross to that mango tree, come down to this banana tree and then back by this big bush'.....land office will give a more accurate answer.

Thanks everyone for their input. We are quite convinced now that the land is 8.5 to 9 rai.

Many of you seem concerned about how we can purchase land with no title and no survey. This is a remote mountain village and no one has paper for any of their land here. What you do is make an agreement with the land owner, and their relatives, and the land owners of adjacent properties. And you get it down in writing with the village headman's approval, and then it is yours.

In this case we know all of the parties involved.

I don't know where they got the odd figure of 22 rai. But it is a piece of land they haven't touched for a long time and they probably never really knew how big it is. Wishful thinking and all that.

Now we all know how big it is, so we will make an offer based on what we know.

I can see a Canuck going amuck if he buys this land without proper documentation.

I am pleased to see that so many are concerned about me and the way things are done up here, but there is no alternative. The standard procedure for buying and selling land up here in the sticks is by an agreement, approved by the headman. Eventually the land office will make its way up here, and surveys will be done. But for now all of the residents here are in the same boat. My wife's family were the first to farm this area so we know a little about the game and the players.

This is a little piece of land of the backside of our property and we only want to pick it up because it is very conveniently located right beside our barn. We aren't going to build a house on it. At the most we will be filling it up with tea trees, and maybe a pond or two at the bottom. The investment will be only a few thousand bucks, so we aren't really making a life altering decision here.

If you are looking for an approximate measurement for your own knowledge, you have plenty advice here and several options on how to do it. On the other hand if you want to contest the size with the current owner, the only way is through a map from the Land Office who are the official authority in these matters. The current Owner then has not grounds to contest the size given by the Land Office. Good luck.wai.gif

Just to update, they realize now that their land is only 8-9 rai. They did not argue the fact.

We are negotiating the purchase based on the smaller size. This is not a large investment.

@Lucjoker if we want to buy land with papers we would have to move. Some areas of Thailand have yet to be surveyed by the land office. We are in one of them. We live on inherited land. And we have no papers for it either, other than the house book.