Airport taxi's (again)

lowprofile

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I experienced the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Used to be 350 on the meter to Kata, but last time it was exactly double at 700 baht on the meter. Crazy.

Driver stopped at a tourist office on the bypass road and tried the old hotel changing pressure con(no chance since I live in a rented apartment).

The trip before last, immigration at the airport asked me multiple times for a "tip", which I refused and requested to speak to a superior, since I was perfectly legal on a visa aquired at an embassy abroad. Finally he let me enter.

Phuket is less and less attractive as a place to live in Thailand.

They have lost touch with reality. This immi officer at the airport is a shame for Phuket. If Phuket is keeping this pace then in 2-5 years it's game over.

But they need the total collapse. It must hurt them hard till their brains are not able to endure it.

I have to say, 6 years ago, I could get to the airport in 45 minutes. (from Rawai)
Now, with all the road construction and many more Thais owning cars and trucks, it takes at least double that and sometimes 2 hours (one way)

That has to be one of the reasons.

I paid my neighbor to drive my truck the other day because my family wanted to meet me at the airport.
I felt bad that I did that to all of them on the way back as we got stuck at the Central mess for a good 30 minutes extra right there.
Nobody enjoys sitting in stalled traffic.

25 bucks for a 40 kilometer journey? And then the taxi has to go back to chalong. He is probably pocketing a whopping 300 baht

has to go back to chalong...

What are you on about this time?

Seems in your haste to defend taxis ad nauseum and maybe just add to your post count[for whatever reason] you seem to open the mouth before the brain is engaged

The OP said the journey was from the airport to Chalong...ie the taxi is already at Chalong.....clap2.gif

25 bucks for a 40 kilometer journey? And then the taxi has to go back to chalong. He is probably pocketing a whopping 300 baht

Seems in your haste to defend taxis ad nauseum and maybe just add to your post count[for whatever reason] you seem to open the mouth before the brain is engaged

The OP said the journey was from the airport to Chalong...ie the taxi is already at Chalong.....clap2.gif

well he cant get a fare in Chalong so he has to drive all the way back to the airport

well he cant get a fare in Chalong so he has to drive all the way back to the airport

And why hould anyone have to pay for his return trip? This is the fundamental problem with transport here and the reason fares are so high.

• Like 1

And why hould anyone have to pay for his return trip? This is the fundamental problem with transport here and the reason fares are so high.

Which is exactly what Ivan is saying.

• Like 2

Nothing fundamental has changed in this journey.

The traffic has always been bad at certain times of the day. For this particular trip there was actually very little. I left the airport at a little after 10am and was home in under an hour. I was very surprised at how light traffic was.

Van the man makes the point about the driver only having a one way fare, he had the same oneway problem months ago, too, so why is the fare doubled now?

I have always supported the meter taxi operation over the "limo" option but it is getting to be even more expensive to take this ride than the one in a nicer, newer, better equiped limo.

Van thinks the fares are too low, the drivers are struggling - if that is the case then why are so many drivers holding the governor to ransom to get licenses for their illegal taxis? "Only 300 Baht" is the minimum wage for a full day, multiply

that by perhaps 4 runs and it is actually a "nice little earner".

The cost of living in Phuket is not so much different from Bangkok, yet fares there are very reasonable and many locals are able to aford to use taxis - that is simply not the case in Phuket.

• Like 1

Transport on Phuket is a false economy.

The reasons for this are many and varied, and well documented and debated. However, in my opinion, it has always come down to the simple fact that, "because they can."

Well, the new demographic of package holiday makers arriving from China, Russia and India seem to be putting a little pressure on the system now because they get picked up in their coach buses at the airport, and chauffeured around the island, and dropped off at the airport, all on their coach buses.

So, in the future, you can expect the prices to rise, sharply. Especially since there are more taxis joining the "club."

The "issue" will just get worse, and so will the complaints, and what is left of the traditional tourist market here, leaving, causing even more price rises.

I agree with you once in a long while! The false Phuket economy that listens to what their neighbors say they make or what they sold something for and want at least that much or more for a service, a meal, to rent a house or sell land. Then if they don't get want they think they should, then they don't get anything as they could never lower their price and lose face...

The reasons for this are many and varied, and well documented and debated. However, in my opinion, it has always come down to the simple fact that, "because they can."

Well, the new demographic of package holiday makers arriving from China, Russia and India seem to be putting a little pressure on the system now because they get picked up in their coach buses at the airport, and chauffeured around the island, and dropped off at the airport, all on their coach buses.

So, in the future, you can expect the prices to rise, sharply. Especially since there are more taxis joining the "club."

The "issue" will just get worse, and so will the complaints, and what is left of the traditional tourist market here, leaving, causing even more price rises.

I agree with you once in a long while! The false Phuket economy that listens to what their neighbors say they make or what they sold something for and want at least that much or more for a service, a meal, to rent a house or sell land. Then if they don't get want they think they should, then they don't get anything as they could never lower their price and lose face...

Yes, but the main thing is, Jimi007, that you "agree" with me, just this "once in a long while." There lays the peace, between me and you.

So, we shall never need to worry about "face" in the future. :) :)

Yes, but the main thing is, Jimi007, that you "agree" with me, just this "once in a long while." There lays the peace, between me and you.

So, we shall never need to worry about "face" in the future. smile.pngsmile.png

Those smiley faces still need to go!

So, we shall never need to worry about "face" in the future. smile.pngsmile.png

Yes. I shall take them with me out to Bangla tonight.

NKM out.

So, we shall never need to worry about "face" in the future. smile.png:)

LOL. Where can we nominate most positive and funny discussions of Phuket forum awards?

This should definitely be there.

The OP said the journey was from the airport to Chalong...ie the taxi is already at Chalong.....Posted Image 

Well I dont see people hanging around street corners in Chalong waiting to hail cabs. What happens if the pax lands at midnight? Then is driven to Chalong at 2am. The taxi driver is hardly going to be abke to pick up a fare.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10014474/Most-expensive-airport-transfers-revealed.html

There it is!!! Its 6 pound for an 18km journey from Suwanabhumi to the city center. So PIA is over twice that distance, this makes it about 14pound...14 pound into Thai baht is 644 baht.

I really dont see why the expats of Phuket are whipped up into a frenzy about this, everyone keeps harping on about the fares in Bangkok, Ive just got it first hand here. Its about 156 baht difference, 5 lousy dollars. Who cares?? I know the tourists dont.

Have a look at the other capital cities in this article, now that will make you squeal.

Also there is this little thing called inflation or cost of living rises, its about 4-5% in most countries. So we can do the maths and safely say it will be about 100-150 baht more in 2 to 3 years time. In 10 years it will have doubled, get used to it chaps, thats life! Statistics prove they are up there with the cheapest in the world! :)

If you dont like taxi prices then drive your Honda Dream up to the Airport, Most of the elderly expats here wouldnt leave Phuket as they have retirement vias. Guys who travel for work reasons get re-imbursed. Who does that leave?

The taxi / Tuk tuk drivers are the backbone of the transport industry in Phuket and they should be applauded for keeping the fares at a reasonable level compared to the rest of the world, keep up the good work lads!

If you dont like taxi prices then drive your Honda Dream up to the Airport, Most of the elderly expats here wouldnt leave Phuket as they have retirement vias. Guys who travel for work reasons get re-imbursed. Who does that leave?

The taxi / Tuk tuk drivers are the backbone of the transport industry in Phuket and they should be applauded for keeping the fares at a reasonable level compared to the rest of the world, keep up the good work lads!

I think the most of us wish to have less mob activity and more fair competition between different transformation methods. That is what is bothering people here.

People in general wish to be treated fairly. I'm not sure if this applies to boys from Bang Tao or Phoys from Hong Kong or even to people who were very Happy in Kathu.

I think the most of us wish to have less mob activity and more fair competition between different transformation methods. That is what is bothering people here.

People in general wish to be treated fairly. I'm not sure if this applies to boys from Bang Tao or Phoys from Hong Kong or even to people who were very Happy in Kathu.

Whats not fair about having similar prices to Bangkok?

Taxi going back empty adds to the price! For instance, in Khao Lak there are several groups of taxi drivers, who have hotels and diving schools as clients. Going to PIA is relatively cheap, because one hotel needs passengers to be brought to the airport, and another hotel needs passengers to be picked up there. So the driver waits around a bit at PIA, and does not have to go back empty. Going to Khao Sok which is about equidistant from Khao Lak costs more, because the driver will get only the one way fare. It is reasonable I would think, these guys have to make both ends meet.

• Like 1

I suggest it is some kind of trick: I visit Istanbul very regularly (twice per year), MINIMUM cost is about $35, usual is $50. £6 must be subway or bus ride, not taximeter! Having been in Munich in March we paid exactly 35 Euro. So, I wouldn't refer to above source as true one..

Edited by dmitryspb

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10014474/Most-expensive-airport-transfers-revealed.html

There it is!!! Its 6 pound for an 18km journey from Suwanabhumi to the city center. So PIA is over twice that distance, this makes it about 14pound...14 pound into Thai baht is 644 baht.

I really dont see why the expats of Phuket are whipped up into a frenzy about this, everyone keeps harping on about the fares in Bangkok, Ive just got it first hand here. Its about 156 baht difference, 5 lousy dollars. Who cares?? I know the tourists dont.

Have a look at the other capital cities in this article, now that will make you squeal.

Also there is this little thing called inflation or cost of living rises, its about 4-5% in most countries. So we can do the maths and safely say it will be about 100-150 baht more in 2 to 3 years time. In 10 years it will have doubled, get used to it chaps, thats life! Statistics prove they are up there with the cheapest in the world! smile.png

If the tourists do not care as you claim, then why are taxis/tuktuks repeatedly the main complaint in hotel surveys?

Yes, the taxis/tuktuks are the backbone of the transport industry because they continue to use violence and intimidation to keep anyone else from competing with them, such as public buses to the airport and minibuses from hotels and tour agencies. If the tourists (who are the backbone of all business on Phuket) are so happy with the taxi/tuktuk service, then why is it necessary for the taxi/tuktuks to illegally block all competition? Would the taxi loving tourists not continue to use taxis leaving potential buses empty?

• Like 1

Also there is this little thing called inflation or cost of living rises, its about 4-5% in most countries. So we can do the maths and safely say it will be about 100-150 baht more in 2 to 3 years time. In 10 years it will have doubled, get used to it chaps, thats life! Statistics prove they are up there with the cheapest in the world! Posted Image

If the tourists do not care as you claim, then why are taxis/tuktuks repeatedly the main complaint in hotel surveys?

Yes, the taxis/tuktuks are the backbone of the transport industry because they continue to use violence and intimidation to keep anyone else from competing with them, such as public buses to the airport and minibuses from hotels and tour agencies. If the tourists (who are the backbone of all business on Phuket) are so happy with the taxi/tuktuk service, then why is it necessary for the taxi/tuktuks to illegally block all competition? Would the taxi loving tourists not continue to use taxis leaving potential buses empty?

Dont you think the public transport workers have a right to complain when they are the same price as bangkok taxis? They are amongst the cheapest in the world. And can you back up your 'facts' about Phuket tourists with any actual data? Like a newspaper clipping or a copy of a survey (s)

Dont you think the public transport workers have a right to complain when they are the same price as bangkok taxis? They are amongst the cheapest in the world. And can you back up your 'facts' about Phuket tourists with any actual data? Like a newspaper clipping or a copy of a survey (s)

Our visitors do not complain to local authorities, they vote with they valets.

To get cheap transportation is great. To have a feeling that I have been screwed is not.