birds in my lawn

I posted a thread some time ago about those milipedes I discovered in and outside the house. Recently I noticed that to have what I think is is called black caterpilars, those "woolen" milipedes and also many birds picking in my lawn.

I assume the birds come to eat the caterpilars. So my question is if those caterpilars are harmful to my lawn and if so, how to get rid of them.

I am not sure about millipedes in the lawn but turf grass often gets black beetles and/or army worms . They are called army worms because they feed on the turf roots like an army on the march. So assuming the millipedes are doing likewise - feeding on the turf roots, are you seeing dead patches ? You need to check because it also could be fungal disease causing dead patches. . Take a spade and dig up a square and have a look. Are there millipedes in the root zone.?

Here is the dilemma. You can spray the turf with an insecticide to kill the millipedes but you will also kill the birds which means you will get into the poison cycle or leave it to the birds to control. I know what i would prefer. The other thing is if it is not the millipedes or the damage is minimal , wait until the millipedes go thru their cycle and they will disappear and then let the turf recover. However if it is a fungal disease causing die back , spraying is a waste of time (unless it is a fungicide of course) but reduce watering and do not feed the turf with any fertilizer until the fungal disease is gone. Also reduce thatch onthe turf area to allow air circulation to reduce the fungal conditions.

Hope this is of some help

• Like 1

I am not sure about millipedes in the lawn but turf grass often gets black beetles and/or army worms . They are called army worms because they feed on the turf roots like an army on the march. So assuming the millipedes are doing likewise - feeding on the turf roots, are you seeing dead patches ? You need to check because it also could be fungal disease causing dead patches. . Take a spade and dig up a square and have a look. Are there millipedes in the root zone.?

Here is the dilemma. You can spray the turf with an insecticide to kill the millipedes but you will also kill the birds which means you will get into the poison cycle or leave it to the birds to control. I know what i would prefer. The other thing is if it is not the millipedes or the damage is minimal , wait until the millipedes go thru their cycle and they will disappear and then let the turf recover. However if it is a fungal disease causing die back , spraying is a waste of time (unless it is a fungicide of course) but reduce watering and do not feed the turf with any fertilizer until the fungal disease is gone. Also reduce thatch onthe turf area to allow air circulation to reduce the fungal conditions.

Hope this is of some help

Thanks for the explanation. Indeed there are a few small dead patches, but I thought they were due to extreme rain or other reasons, as I fertlized them and they grew over quickly.

The milipedes was actually an issue I had several weeks ago, but they seem to have disappeared, and replaced with those black "woolen" caterpilars.

How do I check if the lawn has a fungal disease?

It is difficult to identify fungal disease in turf by just looking at it but if there is no beetle sor caterpillars evident and it a period of lots of rain or irrigation and combined with heat , these are good conditions for fungal disease. if it has been just fertilised and there is rapid but soft leaf growth ,combined with a lot of organic matter on the surface or thick grass (not regularly mown) this will add to good conditions for fungal disease. (Just think of conditions for tinea between the toes)

Depending on the actual disease ,and the ones i am familiar with , they will sometimes start out as a small spot (dollar spot) and will grow as a circular dead spot. Spring Dead Patch is another fungal disease and will just spread , indicated by dead or yellowing turf.

If it is fungal , allowing air around the turf by raking the grass or not leaving dead grass lay on the turf after mowing is good especially in wet humid weather. In dry weather , returning the cut grass is okay . And no more fertiliser until it all clears up.

There are fungicides available but i am not sure what is available for the domestic market in Thailand.. Maybe take a trip up to one of the golf courses and ask a qualified greenkeeper what they use if you want chemical control . Benelate or powdered sulphur were used a few years ago a few years ago.

• Like 1

It is difficult to identify fungal disease in turf by just looking at it but if there is no beetle sor caterpillars evident and it a period of lots of rain or irrigation and combined with heat , these are good conditions for fungal disease. if it has been just fertilised and there is rapid but soft leaf growth ,combined with a lot of organic matter on the surface or thick grass (not regularly mown) this will add to good conditions for fungal disease. (Just think of conditions for tinea between the toes)

Depending on the actual disease ,and the ones i am familiar with , they will sometimes start out as a small spot (dollar spot) and will grow as a circular dead spot. Spring Dead Patch is another fungal disease and will just spread , indicated by dead or yellowing turf.

If it is fungal , allowing air around the turf by raking the grass or not leaving dead grass lay on the turf after mowing is good especially in wet humid weather. In dry weather , returning the cut grass is okay . And no more fertiliser until it all clears up.

There are fungicides available but i am not sure what is available for the domestic market in Thailand.. Maybe take a trip up to one of the golf courses and ask a qualified greenkeeper what they use if you want chemical control . Benelate or powdered sulphur were used a few years ago a few years ago.

Thanks again for the information. I just checked and at this moment I don't have any visible dead spots, however I had a few in one particular area about 2-3 weeks ago but they are overgrowing fine at the moment, but I definitely have caterpillars. I don't know if it's a plague yet, but I see many birds picking in my lawn.

Whenever I have those dead spots, I've seen them a few times in the past, they are exactly as you describe. Almost perfect circles of dead grass, as if something has stood on it. I always wonderd what could be the cause, but I understand now.

As you suggest it may be a good idea to visit a golfcourse for advice, they are currently constructing one not too far from my location.