Vietnam police arrest cat-stealing gang after locals' tip-off

webfact

Vietnam police arrest cat-stealing gang after locals' tip-off

HANOI: -- Police in central Vietnam have arrested six men on suspicion of stealing as many as 4,000 cats over two years to sell for their meat, police said Friday.

The gang stole between four and six cats each night for two years, police in Vinh City said. They sold 1 kilogram of cat for 3 dollars, and used the money to play online games, police said.

Although dog thefts are common in Vietnam, this is the first time a group of people have been arrested for stealing such a large number of cats.

The head of the gang, 26-year-old Nguyen Duc Dung, told police they caught the animals by baiting traps with pieces of fish and leaving them outside homes where they knew people kept cats.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-05

rolleyes.gif Go to Vietnam with your eyes open .... not listening to only the propaganda.

Yes, things in Vietnam are changing rapidly, but there are still many hungry people .... especially in rural areas.

Cats are a luxury, many people just can't afford to feed them.

So trapping and killing a cat to sell is worthwhile ... especially if your hungry and need food yourself.

But, in my opinion, I would believe this story about Dog meat rather than Cat meat.

Dog's are more of a luxury than Cat's in Vietnam .... Cat;s at least have the virtue of eating rats ... Dogs don't.

So if you are hungry, and want a Dog or Cat to sell for food, the Dog is your first choice usually.

Also, Cat meat is often stringy, Dog is better meat

omg shocked

Your silly comments seem to have a lot in common with Forrest Gump. Probably his mother would have said: Life is like a box of chocolates, sometimes you find nuts.

but you have to admit that his comments go with his avatar laugh.png

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif Go to Vietnam with your eyes open .... not listening to only the propaganda.

Yes, things in Vietnam are changing rapidly, but there are still many hungry people .... especially in rural areas.

So trapping and killing a cat to sell is worthwhile ... especially if your hungry and need food yourself.

But, in my opinion, I would believe this story about Dog meat rather than Cat meat.

Dog's are more of a luxury than Cat's in Vietnam .... Cat;s at least have the virtue of eating rats ... Dogs don't.

So if you are hungry, and want a Dog or Cat to sell for food, the Dog is your first choice usually.

yeah i suppose if had you spent you whole life looking at the grossly obese you would see the vietnamese as hungry and the north koreans too i guess.

Edited by ttwitt

omg shocked

Your silly comments seem to have a lot in common with Forrest Gump. Probably his mother would have said: Life is like a box of chocolates, sometimes you find nuts.

but you have to admit that his comments go with his avatar laugh.png

The scary thing is that it probably is his real picture. A real Forrest Gump living in Chiang Mai. What was Forrest Gump's IQ?

Edited by aguy30

They eat bugs herem any comments on that ?

• 2 months later...

OMG, world shattering news....geez, must be the slowest of news days...The world must be at peace to warrant this story.

You read it though didn't you. Then you spent the time to post your opinion.

News comes in many types. This is of interest to some people but there's no compulsion to read it.

Except that neither cats nor dogs are eaten by the poor as the meat is more expensive than, say, pork.