Farming Ideas that never grew ...

Honey bees seems to me could be a decent earner from a small space.

Again it comes down to a flowering crop to provide nectar, so you need Rai of flowers > water > shade etc.

I was reading the other day that in a worker bee's lifetime they produce 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey.

Then you will be up against the sellers of supposed "wild-honey" which is generally sugar solution.

You need a customer base that understand the difference.

Nice thread idea smile.png

My GF has some land a 100k East of Bkk, in Ratchaburi. We are looking at different ideas that would allow us to keep our work in Bkk and farm on the weekends.

I know it sounds a bit idealistic.Especially since I wouldn't bet a Satang on support from the local "cousins".

I was thinking lime trees, chilies and strawberries in either rotation or alternate rows. Actually I'm looking for some symbiotic mix where all plants (animals, insects?) would benefit each other.

The water there is free and abundant, the soil is mostly clay. The land area is still to be determined.

Edited by metaben

One of the ideas that I'm currently researching is how to spawn the Prawn Fry.

The gf's Parents own modest Fish and Prawn Farm and when they require the Prawn Fry they drive quite some distance to buy the fry.

When I asked is there not a more local producer ... the reply was no.

Very quickly, the female Prawn is caught typically in places like Phuket and then either the Prawn or it's eggs (I haven't worked out that bit yet) are bought to Hatching Farm, raised and on sold to the Local Farmers.

So I'm thinking ... why could we not develop this practice on the Farm?

That would be stage one.

Stage two would be to look at world's best practise to identify the technology which would allow the female prawn to actually spawn at the Farm.

When I visited the Prawn Hatchery, it was a low capital intensive set-up.

The barrier to entry was the technology or processes used to raise that Fry.

Management of their feeding and adapting the salinity seems to be two issues.

The land required would be maybe 1/2 Rai for a profitable operation.

So, at the moment, I'm quietly doing my research and educating myself.

Maybe I'm dreaming.

But I working on turning that dream into a reality.

David, is this the shrimp that you want to work with? If so PM me and I may be able to answer some of your questions.

post-103093-0-49587700-1373198313_thumb.

• Like 1

I remember a few months back someone enquiring about how far apart to plant sheep,,,,,,, wonder if they found the answer to that and how the project is coming on?? just curious,,,,,

cheesy.gif .... I hope some one said that would be a baaaa 'd idea whistling.gifbiggrin.png

...... sorry could not resist that! wink.png

why no cocoa plants here? tropical climate... should work? or not ?

imported chocolate at 2x or 3x european prices makes my wallet bleed

There are a couple what I think are abandoned cocoa farms, here on Samui....

They have not been pruned in years, and I have never seen anyone working around them, even cutting the weeds.. my guess is probably not enough production to produce the end result.

Another "good idea" but probably not fully planned out.... so another failure! wink.png

Child Labour in places like Ghana, lots cheaper too sad.png

(I put an image of a cocoa pod in farm photos recently)

Here is one of a cocoa treewink.png

2013-06-26-827.jpg

• Like 1

there is another herb that is popular in south america https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_maté

people walk around in the street sucking on this out of custom cups. people of European decent too.

only found it for sale once in singapore at 30x its price in paraguay. no where else in SEA at all. probably require a bit of marketing to get it going.

Edited by ttwitt

Well ... this thread has worked for me.

One of the members here reading it who probably has more letters behind his name then in the alphabet, contacted me.

I'm simply amazed that we have someone of his calibre amongst us ... wai.gif

there is another herb that is popular in south america https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_maté

people walk around in the street sucking on this out of custom cups. people of European decent too.

only found it for sale once in singapore at 30x its price in paraguay. no where else in SEA at all. probably require a bit of marketing to get it going.

search gives http://yerbamatethailand.com/

cost 1 dollar for a large packet in paraguay some years back cant recall the weight of the packet though.

also http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/416538-yerba-mate/

Edited by ttwitt

I just think the collective knowledge pool, here on the Farming Forum is underutilised.

Remember, your not giving away trade secrets .. if you can't make it work ... maybe someone else has the solution to your problem.

Here is one idea that I saw on the week-end I'll never get to use.

Brothers grow popcorn for a nation of moviegoers ...

4754402-3x2-700x467.jpg

There are around 20 popcorn growers in Australia and Mr Toscan and his brother John are the biggest.

Together they supply most of the nations cinemas.

The Toscans started out as maize producers but branched into popping corn 11 years ago.

The seeds are more expensive than maize and usually yield half as much, but traditionally popcorn fetches double the price.

The Toscans also clean and package their produce, adding yet more value.

More Here

• Like 1

I don't know about cocoa plants, but how about this?

When I was in Tahiti I visited a Vanilla Bean Farm.

r1008731_11335957.jpg

Recently on the Australian Landline Program ...

GEORGE GONTHIERS: I approached the government officials and spoke to them about it and they said to me cannot be done in Australia and I thought, "You say this to the wrong bloke because I would prove you wrong." I told a person and I said, "I will prove you wrong."

PIP COURTNEY: George was convinced he could grow better beans than the imported ones he saw in the shops.

GEORGE GONTHIERS: You got to take the chance. If you do not take risk and chances, nut, not gonna go anywhere.

PIP COURTNEY: The reason an industry hasn't taken off here in Australia is simple: labour. Vanilla's so labour-intensive, it's the world's second most expensive crop after saffron. There's no alternative to hand harvesting. The vanilla pod, which is black and aromatic when you buy it, is green and has no smell when it's harvested.

Rest of it is here Here

EDIT ...

I just watched the video clip contained within the article.

Five bucks a bean ... yes ... FIVE DOLLARS A BEAN!

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

There is a plant product that i think has a future and as a longterm investment for Thailand is the Phytelephas aequatorialis tree/palm or Tagua "Ivory of the rainforest". Somewhere in the lower mountians of Chaing Mai may be suitable .

Here is a link to an article http://www.gardendesign.com/ideas/botanic-notables-ivory-of-the-rainforest?cmpid=enews071712&spPodID=020&spMailingID=4649099&spUserID=MTEwODEyOTMyMTQS1&spJobID=278581241&spReportId=Mjc4NTgxMjQxS0

I have found a source of the trees in Australia and there are sources in the States as well . I was going to keep it as a secret but i don't think the Thais would be interested in getting on the bandwagon and sinking the market as it would be too long-term for them to be interested. Also my procrastination puts a damper on me doing it in the foreseeable future.

A more in depth article on the plant is here. http://www.fao.org/docrep/v0784e/v0784e10.htm

• Like 1

Thanks for that ...

Just to add an image from the first page of the article you suggest ...

SeedsOfLove.jpg

There is a plant product that i think has a future and as a longterm investment for Thailand is the Phytelephas aequatorialis tree/palm or Tagua "Ivory of the rainforest". Somewhere in the lower mountians of Chaing Mai may be suitable .

Here is a link to an article http://www.gardendesign.com/ideas/botanic-notables-ivory-of-the-rainforest?cmpid=enews071712&spPodID=020&spMailingID=4649099&spUserID=MTEwODEyOTMyMTQS1&spJobID=278581241&spReportId=Mjc4NTgxMjQxS0

I have found a source of the trees in Australia and there are sources in the States as well . I was going to keep it as a secret but i don't think the Thais would be interested in getting on the bandwagon and sinking the market as it would be too long-term for them to be interested. Also my procrastination puts a damper on me doing it in the foreseeable future.

A more in depth article on the plant is here. http://www.fao.org/docrep/v0784e/v0784e10.htm

I don't know about cocoa plants, but how about this?

When I was in Tahiti I visited a Vanilla Bean Farm.

r1008731_11335957.jpg

Recently on the Australian Landline Program ...

GEORGE GONTHIERS: I approached the government officials and spoke to them about it and they said to me cannot be done in Australia and I thought, "You say this to the wrong bloke because I would prove you wrong." I told a person and I said, "I will prove you wrong."

PIP COURTNEY: George was convinced he could grow better beans than the imported ones he saw in the shops.

GEORGE GONTHIERS: You got to take the chance. If you do not take risk and chances, nut, not gonna go anywhere.

PIP COURTNEY: The reason an industry hasn't taken off here in Australia is simple: labour. Vanilla's so labour-intensive, it's the world's second most expensive crop after saffron. There's no alternative to hand harvesting. The vanilla pod, which is black and aromatic when you buy it, is green and has no smell when it's harvested.

Rest of it is here Here

This was another crop i was interested in . It is not only the hand pollination but the processing after harvesting and the possible losses due to fungal and mould problems. Still a half a rai of vanilla orchids could be a nice earner if it can be marketed .

• Like 1

Very interesting on Vanilla ! .... Do Thai's use vanilla ? .... not something I have come across them using... or even seen!

That YouTube there by David, was a good watch !!!..... I thought 12 minutes would have me bored..... but watch the whole thing! thumbsup.gif

Your PDF file worked Rice!

How to plant and grow vanilla ...

Thank you for posting this video; I have both vanilla & cacao trees in my garden !

Now the vanilla is growing in tamarinds, I will put some in the cacao.

So what area of Thailand are you in SoiDog2 ? just curious.... I am on a mission now to see if I can find Vanilla in the south... perhaps next time I go past the Cocoa trees, I will stop and take a closer look... thumbsup.gif

I guess you had better wait before moving the Vanilla plants until after the next full moon, I think the 10 day period has passed!!! wink.png

• Like 1

I love this Farming forum.. Although I can't grow rocks. It's still interesting.. A lot of good idea's..

Aside from the lucrative rubber tree ideas. The most attractive idea to me is RBH's catfish operation. I will actually use this as my main focus at farming in Thailand. I won't focus on 1 thing as a starter because I have learned from Thai farmers and Farang's alike I need to diversify.

I feel happy thinking about these projects.

Hope I am not of topic, David48...

wai.gif

• Like 1

Very interesting on Vanilla ! .... Do Thai's use vanilla ? .... not something I have come across them using... or even seen!

That YouTube there by David, was a good watch !!!..... I thought 12 minutes would have me bored..... but watch the whole thing! thumbsup.gif

Your PDF file worked Rice!

With something like Vanilla which is a low bulk, high price product, the markets may exist beyond Thailand.

Two things that rang my bell with the Vanilla Bean were the Tropical Climate and low labour costs of Thailand ... both keys to production for the bean.

I think real Vanilla is probably too expensive for Thais . I have bought a few pods in Oz for 5.00 a pod, that is about 160 thb) They are packaged in small glass tubes - attractive packaging. The last one i bought was a product of Papau New Guinea. I love the smell of real vanilla and it is great in Rice-cream or rice pudding whatever you want to call it.

Soidog2 , just wondering if you have had any produce from the vanilla and if you are able to hand pollinate whilst they are growing up a tree.
  • Like 1

Brother in-laws lime tree absolutley loaded and I've got no idea how many he's taken off already but I know he is

selling them to a sister in-law for her to sell from her shop.

DSC04674.JPG

I'm told he gets 1 baht per lime and as far as the seasons go,from what I've seen it is only one.I have not seen this tree with as good a crop as it has now.

• Like 1

Thanks Soidog2, I had better get a cocoa tree growing!!! But will look around to see if I can find first .... thumbsup.gif

This really fits the topic title !!!

This topic just reminded me that about six or seven years ago, I was asked to "invest" into a new palm oil plantation, by my friends in Songkhla. Sadly even though the hundreds of baby palm oil plants were planted out, they all died within less than a year...

First it was what they said was rats eating the base of the plants... then spent days putting wire mesh around the plants..... But then over the rainy season the plants all drowned w00t.gif .... Half cocked research that obviously everyone else in the area had obviously figured out is that palm oil plants don't like extended periods of wet feet... (actually the water level rose to two or three feet, covering the plants entirely, during the rainy season blink.png )

Everyone else who got on to the Palm oil band wagon, did on higher ground and area properly ditched!!!! and now producing a lucrative income !!! thumbsup.gif

This photo was roughly the area that was planted ..... a flood plain (or is that plane(?) !!!! ..... piss on it!!! whistling.gif I know a lot more about Thai practices now, than I knew then! facepalm.gif

In those days I was still working with a reasonable income. I should have known better to expect to see a 25% return on a $2000.00 investment ...... I do now!!!! rolleyes.gif

2013-04-05-513.jpg

Good thing they stuck to rice farming, and produce a reasonable income! wink.png

2013-04-04-494.jpg

Edited by samuijimmy