The ins and outs of living in Thailand

webfact

The Visa rules are in need of reform. This article completely sidesteps issues regarding foreigners with Thai spouses, and treats those of us married to Thai's no better than a stoned backpacker. In my opinion the visa rules for Thai spouses are anti-family and destructive to the social fabric.

Why is that?

Not sure what country you are from but the UK has now implemented new rules for non - EU spouses.

Brit sponsor to earn 18,000 UK pounds minimum a year (I think) or its a 'no no'

That's the equivalent of approx. 70,000 baht a month.

the thing is that in the eu the tax payers gave so much , for so long to foreigners that we have to stop it.because of the crisis we can not affort it anymore.

but thailand grow 7% this year, they can give us a brake with their stupid,headake visa rules , because we ask for nothing and we pay for everything...so live us in peace.....making love sometimes !

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thailand is not the land of smile ,no sir .....today .... it is the land who use foreigners to make money.

thats it.and we are so stupid that we let them doing it.....well not me..!

they dont understand us, and they dont like us or the way we are, especially the high society who make the rules.

i leaved there long enough to see and feel that for sure.

in my opinion we should aplicate exactly the same rules to them when they go to our country ,instead of giving them visas, help for free, money for free, hospital care for free etc and etc for free....coffee1.gif ... but we are democratic..thats the diference!

i hope one day they will realise they are wrong and change their visa regulation ! and during that time i would say to all new people who want to go to live to thailand .... to choose another country, because in my opinion,.... thailand, today is not worth it sad.png

If you don't like Thailand so much, why bother posting on a Thailand forum wacko.png

The Visa rules are in need of reform. This article completely sidesteps issues regarding foreigners with Thai spouses, and treats those of us married to Thai's no better than a stoned backpacker. In my opinion the visa rules for Thai spouses are anti-family and destructive to the social fabric.

Why is that?

Not sure what country you are from but the UK has now implemented new rules for non - EU spouses.

And there has been some concern expressed by British MPs that the new UK policy re. non-EU spouses is exactly what Unwisemonkey suggests - anti-family & destructive, not to mention discriminatory. It's being discussed and there's therefore a (slight) chance it'll change. No such discussion among Thailand's MPs.

The non-EU spouse of a UK citizen, in the UK, can achieve PR & Citizenship even if (s)he doesn't work while I, as a non-working foreigner in Thailand, will always be a glorified tourist & will never be secure in this country despite my commitment to my wife & her kids (and therefore a commitment to part of Thailand) and, potentially, many, many years of constantly proving my eligibility to remain here.

The GBP18,600 is a little above UK minimum wage and way below average income and, once PR is achieved by the spouse after 5 years (I think), this requirement never raises its ugly head again. I also believe that any earnings by the non-EU spouse can count towards that GBP18,600 figure. Contrast this with Thailand - all funds required to extend my visa must be mine alone and the funding level is way above average Thai earnings, I'd imagine. My wife's (good) income cannot be part of the equation. Her income taxes are not eligible for consideration if I want to apply for PR/Citizenship under the current rules. I almost see it as though Thai Immigration thinks she's not really part of my life whereas, really, she's the only reason I'm here at all. If I was forced to leave Thailand purely because of the financial aspects of the immigration rules, my wife would suffer far more than me, believe me, and that suffering would have been inflicted, to a very large extent, by her own country's government.

It just serves to confirm the Thai-culture obsession with standing still (or rather going around in circles), rather than thinking through the many benefits which may be awaiting a change to the pathetic rules.

This article completely sidesteps issues regarding foreigners with Thai spouses, and treats those of us married to Thai's no better than a stoned backpacker.

Well as one married to a Thai I have to ask, have you ever actually applied for a visa extension based on being married to a Thai?

I have done eight of them, the last two all conducted in Thai, a painless experience, I was treated with courtesy and certainly wasnt made to feel like "a stoned backpacker"

The whole process takes about 15 minutes, after which the staff say to me something along the lines of, see you next year.

If you think Thai laws are harsh, try getting your wife to the UK for example.

Yes but what path to your own citizenship ?? As a married person without tax history none..

And dont say it doesnt matter as I hope you dont find out like I did after a wife dies what your options are after becoming committed to the country.

Yes but what path to your own citizenship ??

Why would I want citizenship?

As a married person without tax history none.

Your circumstances, not mine.

And dont say it doesnt matter as I hope you dont find out like I did after a wife dies

To me it doesnt matter, I can go elsewhere, I didnt burn bridges.

after a wife dies what your options are

I would apply for a education visa, or 800k in the bank option.

after becoming committed to the country

I am not committed to the country, neither is my wife (she cant wait to leave here but thats another story for another thread).

Sorry to hear of your circumstances, hope you managed to overcome them.

This article completely sidesteps issues regarding foreigners with Thai spouses, and treats those of us married to Thai's no better than a stoned backpacker.

Well as one married to a Thai I have to ask, have you ever actually applied for a visa extension based on being married to a Thai?

I have done eight of them, the last two all conducted in Thai, a painless experience, I was treated with courtesy and certainly wasnt made to feel like "a stoned backpacker"

The whole process takes about 15 minutes, after which the staff say to me something along the lines of, see you next year.

So what. Just because they give service with a smile doesn't mean anything. We are still regarded as second class citizens, stoned backpackers, or whatever moniker that suits you, and the laws reflect that. I went through the immigration process with my wife in the U.S. (not the U.K.) And it was painless, It was expensive but once it is done, there is no more milking the foreigner for money.

They are given resident status and a work permit, and allowed to support their family. In short the entire country is opened up to a foreign spouse in our home countries and the sky is the limit for them. There are no restricted job categories, Every time I have to go on a visa run, or pay money to immigration it's money out of my family's pocket, and I say hand off to the government. And woe to those who's relationships go sour and their are kids involved. Just because your experience had been pleasant doesn't mean that the laws reflect justice and equality for foreign spouses.

Just because your experience had been pleasant doesn't mean that the laws reflect justice and equality for foreign spouses.

I didnt say it did, in fact as a farang male married to a Thai I am well aware of the discrepancies that exist between farang females married to Thais and farang females married to Thais.

Its not so long ago my wife was barred from owning property here because she was married to a farang.

He he... What about thinking of Cambodia?

The charm and warm smiles which have disapeared from Siam 15 years ago, cheaper life, US$285 Business visa extension (multiple entry but no need at all to exit the country at any time) which allows you to work with your own hands in about any type of job, even owning your small business... And get your Khmer passport after 5 years of residence (which then allows you to own land...)

With all my Respect and Long Life wishes to King Bhumibol, I am afraid Thailand will get into a civil war the day His Majesty will retire to Nirvana...

Welcome to the Kingdom of Wonders...

By the way, no alcool bans or forbidden hours and very cheap cigarettes...

Edited by tinom
  • Like 2

But if it was eastern Europeans etc, wanting to get into the UK, their free houses and benefits will be waiting for them.

Yeh, intheclub.gif

The charm and warm smiles which have disapeared from Siam 15 years ago, cheaper life, US$285 Business visa extension (multiple entry but no need at all to exit the country at any time) which allows you to work with your own hands in about any type of job, even owning your small business... And get your Khmer passport after 5 years of residence (which then allows you to own land...)

All those "warm smiles" are already disappearing in Cambodia as well, and it is about to overtake Thailand in the dislike of farangs, for that matter. I live there so I'm not just speculating. Moreover, they try to fleece you on every interaction - literally, no exaggeration, and all prices are discirminatingly tiered. Thais still have a lot of dignity and treat foreigners in a more human and fair way, as compared to what's actually going on in Cambodia.

Rather poor inacurate and unresearched article such as I have come to expect from the media in this country and now we are getting more of the same from a Jody Houton. Do it right ..or don't do it at all.

I find it curious that the tourist visa exemption by name would indicate that it isn't a visa, and the tourist visa exception rule doesn't call it a visa, yet if you look up the definition of a visa that is exactly what it is.

Being a bit bored, I actually did look it up. Here's how my favrite online dictionary defines it:

"Visa: an endorsement made by an authorized representative of one country upon a passport issued by another, permitting the passport holder entry into or transit through the country making the endorsement.

No endorsements are made to your passport or anywhere else whene you are granted a visa-exempt entry - you are simply just let in despite the lack of said endorsements. All you get is a permitted to stay stamp - which certainly isn't a visa neither. Thus it is perfectly correct to call the phenomon a visa-exempt entry.

Back to topic.

"all you get is a permitted to stay stamp" by an authorised representative upon a passport AKA... I give up already.

Wow, learn the language, have money, get a job, not be a burden to the state--what a concept.

If they didn't have these rules, Thailand would end up looking like Hawaii--full of the homeless beach bums who panhandled enough money for a plane ticket to paradise. Admittedly, if I had a choice between being homeless in Detroit, or homeless in Thailand--I would choose the latter.

Seems like many others have done the same.

Addendum: We call them "Expats", which is a broad term for every soul that takes up residence in Thailand, but face it, if a guy has no job, no resources, and is eking out an existence doing "odd jobs" just for the right to run out on his bar tab, sleep with 500 baht freelancers, and and let the sun bake his skin into a leathery hide--he probably didn't have a lot going on back in his home country either. I enjoy my 3 or 4 trips a year to LOS, but I will not move to Thailand permanently until I can do it right. Thailand is far more enjoyable if you run a successful business back home, have a steady income, and not have to worry about teaching English for a pittance just to survive.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 1

Once you get your wife into the UK. then you can forget about 90 day check ins,you will not hear from the UKBA or the Home office for the duration of the visa,how harsh is that?

• Like 1

For frequent tourists, the change to 15 days at land crossings is a pain. I used to arrive in BKK and get 30 days. Work my way up to the Mekong, cross to Lao and then recross the bridge after a week or two and get 30 days. I remember when they introduced a limit on the number of 30 day VOAs, and I thought that would solve their problem with constant border runners. But we got the 15 day option. Basically the 15 day bit has altered my plans to a degree and Vietnam and Cambodia save me the worry of reentering sometimes. Less time in Thai.

Wow, learn the language, have money, get a job, not be a burden to the state--what a concept.

If they didn't have these rules, Thailand would end up looking like Hawaii--full of the homeless beach bums who panhandled enough money for a plane ticket to paradise. Admittedly, if I had a choice between being homeless in Detroit, or homeless in Thailand--I would choose the latter.

Addendum: We call them "Expats", which is a broad term for every soul that takes up residence in Thailand, but face it, if a guy has no job, no resources, and is eking out an existence doing "odd jobs" just for the right to run out on his bar tab, sleep with 500 baht freelancers, and and let the sun bake his skin into a leathery hide--he probably didn't have a lot going on back in his home country either. I enjoy my 3 or 4 trips a year to LOS, but I will not move to Thailand permanently until I can do it right. Thailand is far more enjoyable if you run a successful business back home, have a steady income, and not have to worry about teaching English for a pittance just to survive.

Spoken in exactly the manner I'd expect from someone who doesn't live in Thailand & bases his comments on observations made during holidays, however frequent they might be.

Expats are not a burden on the Thai state since the Thai state gives them nothing at all apart from a volume of air (about 0.25 cubic metres for me) to occupy. In fact, legal retirees contribute foreign exchange to Thailand; however small an amount that might be each year it's an amount that wouldn't otherwise be part of Thailand's growing wealth. Those with Thai families contribute to the betterment of Thai nationals and might also have income from abroad to spend in Thailand.

Well, I suppose I'm not 100% accurate when I say "expats are not a burden" - we ARE a burden on the Thai state in one respect, but that is burden is entirely due to the requirements of Thai immigration law - 90 day reporting, mountains of paperwork and the establishment of many immigration offices & the Thai jobs that go with them, etc.

It always annoys me when Thais tell me they want to go abroad to work & make their fortune but are aghast when I suggest I should be able to do the same freely in Thailand. The concept of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" doesn't apply in their minds, apparently.

Thailand is far more enjoyable if you only come here for holidays, otherwise it's "home" & is just as enjoyable or annoying as our original countries might be, with all the ups & downs - but different ups & downs - associated with living in UK (in my case) or USA or Australia.

"Home is where the heart is" - my heart is with my wife and her heart is in Thailand so I stay here. If I'd not met & married her, Thailand wouldn't have been on my radar even for a holiday, never mind living here.

• Like 2

Maybe you'll have a different opinion after your 40th annual extension of stay, and it's time to extend again, but you're too sick to get out and go to stand in line at the immigration center. Do you think you'll get any special consideration?

I've never heard of anything like that elsewhere, so yes, I will say Thailand immigration laws are harsh.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

Spoken in exactly the manner I'd expect from someone who doesn't live in Thailand & bases his comments on observations made during holidays, however frequent they might be.

Expats are not a burden on the Thai state since the Thai state gives them nothing at all apart from a volume of air (about 0.25 cubic metres for me) to occupy. In fact, legal retirees contribute foreign exchange to Thailand; however small an amount that might be each year it's an amount that wouldn't otherwise be part of Thailand's growing wealth. Those with Thai families contribute to the betterment of Thai nationals and might also have income from abroad to spend in Thailand.

Well, I suppose I'm not 100% accurate when I say "expats are not a burden" - we ARE a burden on the Thai state in one respect, but that is burden is entirely due to the requirements of Thai immigration law - 90 day reporting, mountains of paperwork and the establishment of many immigration offices & the Thai jobs that go with them, etc.

It always annoys me when Thais tell me they want to go abroad to work & make their fortune but are aghast when I suggest I should be able to do the same freely in Thailand. The concept of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" doesn't apply in their minds, apparently.

Thailand is far more enjoyable if you only come here for holidays, otherwise it's "home" & is just as enjoyable or annoying as our original countries might be, with all the ups & downs - but different ups & downs - associated with living in UK (in my case) or USA or Australia.

"Home is where the heart is" - my heart is with my wife and her heart is in Thailand so I stay here. If I'd not met & married her, Thailand wouldn't have been on my radar even for a holiday, never mind living here.

Fyi...I lived in Sisaket for 2 years with my girl. Then I decided to go back home to the States to make money to come back and "do it right. I enrolled in classes and now I speak Thai and Isaan. I have enough experience in LOS to know what I am talking about. I have no pity for the farangs who move to Thailand and never learn the language. I know expats who lived in LOS for 20 years and still can't speak Thai. Many of them hardly ever leave the magic circle that they have drawn awound their Pattaya bar stool

You might not think you are a burden to the Thai country but you quite possibly take up more than just air. Why do you think they have these pain in the butt visa runs in place every 90 days? It's because so many men just buy a ticket to LOS, get addicted to the country (and women) and never leave. Do you not realize yet that Thai people really don't like farangs?

And no, the rules are not the same for "us" and "them". Yes, they go abroad to places like Los Angeles (2nd largest Thai population outside of LOS) and try to make money to send back. They do not realize that America is expensive and working in a Thai massage parlor isn't exactly the path to riches. For the Thais that open restaurants, and other businesses, they are mostly middle to upper class Thais anyway. I just wrote an article for PATA Compass magazine in Bangkok about this subject if you would care to read it.

The things I hear farangs complaining about like not being able to own a business or a home in their name exclusively--might not be good for the farang, but they are good for Thailand. Otherwise, the Japanese or Chinese would probably come in and buy up the whole country.

Thailand is a great place and I plan to move there to live with my girl again in the boondocks. Luckily, we are close to the Cambodian border and the visa runs are not far away. I will join the club of expats who cannot own land, who have no rights, who will be fleeced, scammed, and everything else that we know goes on.

But I am a big boy, and I know what I signed up for.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 2

So what. Just because they give service with a smile doesn't mean anything. We are still regarded as second class citizens, stoned backpackers, or whatever moniker that suits you, and the laws reflect that. I went through the immigration process with my wife in the U.S. (not the U.K.) And it was painless, It was expensive but once it is done, there is no more milking the foreigner for money.

They are given resident status and a work permit, and allowed to support their family. In short the entire country is opened up to a foreign spouse in our home countries and the sky is the limit for them. There are no restricted job categories, Every time I have to go on a visa run, or pay money to immigration it's money out of my family's pocket, and I say hand off to the government. And woe to those who's relationships go sour and their are kids involved. Just because your experience had been pleasant doesn't mean that the laws reflect justice and equality for foreign spouses.

Australia appears to be the same as the U.S. My wife actually owns a reasonable amount of land and property in Australia also. The only restriction on her owning land is that she is not allowed to tow it back to Thailand.

• Like 2

I hope never to have to apply for a married visa. That would mean the baht had got real strong.sad.png

From what I have heard the UK is easier than Canada or the U S. Heard of a lady with a visa already obtained here who was turned around in the States by immigration.

I think from what I have heard here in Chiang Mai the officer in charge of marriage extensions is not as nice as the one you have. I heard one couple met all the paper work demands and then had to produce a picture of them sitting on the bed.

To the best of my knowledge the married ones only need to have 400,000 baht in the bank or a guaranteed income of 40,000 baht a month. I do not consider that unreasonable. I have to prove 65,000 a month and to date can not figure out why I need more than a married person. She more like costs me 25,000 a month (not quite) She sure dosen't save me any money. But here in Chiang Mai it is easier to not claim married.

To the Visa runners they might want to try living in Chiang Rai it is cheaper and a short run over a good road with in my opinion OK transportation. Some maybe not so good. Less than 1 and 1/2 hour.

• Like 1

I hope never to have to apply for a married visa. That would mean the baht had got real strong.sad.png

From what I have heard the UK is easier than Canada or the U S. Heard of a lady with a visa already obtained here who was turned around in the States by immigration.

I think from what I have heard here in Chiang Mai the officer in charge of marriage extensions is not as nice as the one you have. I heard one couple met all the paper work demands and then had to produce a picture of them sitting on the bed.

To the best of my knowledge the married ones only need to have 400,000 baht in the bank or a guaranteed income of 40,000 baht a month. I do not consider that unreasonable. I have to prove 65,000 a month and to date can not figure out why I need more than a married person. She more like costs me 25,000 a month (not quite) She sure dosen't save me any money. But here in Chiang Mai it is easier to not claim married.

To the Visa runners they might want to try living in Chiang Rai it is cheaper and a short run over a good road with in my opinion OK transportation. Some maybe not so good. Less than 1 and 1/2 hour.

my visa is pretty much the same as the marriage one, but for a child. (Family) Yes the immigration officer in Chiangmai does require photographs for me it was 2 family photo's an early one and an up to date one. Yes to support a family I need 400K or 40K per month. (1 farang 2 thai) It also puzzles me also why a single retired expat need double in the bank or more per month.

I just flew round trip to Kuala Lumpur to visit the Royal Thai Embassy BT4650, got a 60 day visa with 30 day extension at Phuket Town immigration. Instead of a pain in the ass, I had a great 3 days there & don't have to make another visa run for 3 months. Not sure what's the big deal?

I agree with you. Visa runs are a great way to enjoy yourself. What kind of person just runs across the border to get a stamp? Why not make an adventure out of it.....try a new culture, some different cuisines, stay at a hotel and enjoy the new sights? Book yourself a flight (in advance) for a sixty bucks on Air Asia (look for the specials). I am qualified for the one year visa, but just do not see the sense of it, as I travel outside the country anyways. A dual entry visa is just 2000 baht.... and the last time I went to Vientiane, it was painless. I met some new people, ate at a good restaurant, and just took it all in. Also fly into Clark a few times a year, as well. I take advantage of the 30 day visa exemption whenever I can. Penang is my next adventure, I was told you can just have the hotel arrange for your visa... The best part is that I live only 45 minutes from the Nong Khai border. My gal takes me up in her truck and we make it a date. Pity those foolish guys that stamp in and out for 15 days. Getting visas is just part of life..its a non-issue...and its all up to you to make your life fun,. Thailand enforces their visa laws...and why shouldn't they? If you want to scam your way out of doing visas, try the Philippines. I know some people who would just slip in some cash in their passports and ask for a Balikbayan Visa.

thailand is not the land of smile ,no sir .....today .... it is the land who use foreigners to make money.

they dont understand us, and they dont like us or the way we are, especially the high society who make the rules.

in my opinion we should aplicate exactly the same rules to them when they go to our country ,instead of giving them visas, help for free, money for free, hospital care for free etc and etc for free....coffee1.gif ... but we are democratic..thats the diference!

i hope one day they will realise they are wrong and change their visa regulation ! and during that time i would say to all new people who want to go to live to thailand .... to choose another country, because in my opinion,.... thailand, today is not worth it sad.png

Why do you stay, thenpassifier.gif

If I were to decide, there would be Burmese or Malaysian boats anchored 500 meters from Thailand shores. Take a longtail to this other country, which it is, and get a stamp, less time and less costly.

Otherwise, border run are only to generate thai jobs and get farang money...

Why do you stay, thenpassifier.gif

Thought it wasn't going to be long before we got one of these replies, originality at its finest!!!!!... yawwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

You know why he stays?? Cause he can!!!!

Edited by Straight8

Perhaps so but certainly in line with many other other countries i.e. you cannot simply get residency because you have a spouse from that country.

Why is that?

You illustrate it perfectly. The burden of sponsorship i.e. support falls upon the citizen of the country. In other words the EU (and U.S.) are effectively saying, you want your spouse here? You (the citizen) better produce and not be a burden on the state. It's the other way around here. If you or I want to stay here with our spouses and family we must have money in the bank to get a marriage visa which will get you the 90 days reporting deal. On the extension form and application you can simply say you're here to support the Thai family and that's reason enough, and still you don't have access to credit, banking, drivers licenses, jobs etc.

If you don't qualify for that than your next option is the Non-O Visa with virtually unlimited extension every 90 days for a fee (read hands off my families money government) so long as your spouse agrees that it's okay for you to stay. If she decides she doesn't like you you're up up the creek without a paddle. Suddenly you'll find yourself on the Tourist Visa bus every 90 days.

Now maybe it's different in the EU, but in the U.S. it's very simple. You make enough money to support your spouse, they are welcomed into the country and given all the same rights and privileges as citizens (except voting). They can get a job ANYWHERE. They aren't relegated to low paying teacher positions. They can open bank accounts and have access to financial products to enable them to be prosperous completely on their own steam. In short you're given independence.

With all my Respect and Long Life wishes to King Bhumibol, I am afraid Thailand will get into a civil war the day His Majesty will retire to Nirvana...

Welcome to the Kingdom of Wonders...

By the way, no alcool bans or forbidden hours and very cheap cigarettes...

Hmmmm and it seems you know where to find the pizza with special toppings too!

Perhaps so but certainly in line with many other other countries i.e. you cannot simply get residency because you have a spouse from that country.

I beg to differ. My wife, got conditional permanent resident alien status the day of our interview with the USCIS. She just needed to stay for one year and then apply to have the conditions removed and she was set for life. If she wanted to vote after that just a matter of becoming a U.S. citizen. My friend who's been married to his Thai wife over 5 years got the IR-1 visa for his spouse which means there are no conditions, as soon as she steps onto U.S. Soil she is a permanent alien resident without any conditions.