Taco Bell: Do you want it?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why limit it to Pattaya-Jomtien.

Sorry......I said: Do you want to see Taco Bell in Thailand? I added Pattaya-Jomtien because I think that would be a good choice for the first Taco Bell (lots of hungry farangs). Bangkok would also be a good choice. And who knows: Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. Do you want it? Would you eat there? Maybe some executive at Taco Bell might see this thread.

• Like 1

I would pop in every now & then same as I do for KFC & Burger King

Although I pretty much always wonder why I did after I leave smile.png

Like KFC for instance...When I leave there I always think "well that was dumb"

because I could have had a whole grilled chicken for less from one of the many

BBQ stands with some sticky rice.

Burger King dont even get me started heheh

I dont know why I buy a cheeseburger from them

every two months or so. Really not that good & better is on offer from a place like Dukes here in CM

But you know sometimes I just think I feel like it & it is quick & easy & the air conditioning

is usually the clincher

But yes I would pop into Taco bell for a couple soft tacos & a burrito now & then if they were here.

"Now & Then" would be about once every month or two if that, like the other two chains I mentioned.

• Like 2

I'd definitely go. There was one by my workplace stateside that I'd frequent often because of its close proximity and limted time during lunch break. And yes, it is what it is...fast and cheap. But that being said, I do miss it and would go if there were one here. Although I do find that the fast food here is a little more pricey than back home and in most cases isn't as good as I remembered. So my stops into McDonald's and Burger King are pretty limited as it is a completely guilty pleasure and like the other poster I find myself walking out beating myself up knowing I could have had something better for less at a Thai joint or spent a tad more and got something of a higher quality at a place that caters to expats.

• Like 1

No. Perhaps I am unusual in the aspect that I can't understand why anybody, farang or thai, would eat Western fast food in thailand, when you're surrounded by very cheap, very delicious, usually healthy thai food. I guess I can see westerners eating at kfc, burger king, mcd's, etc, because they miss their homeland, but when I'm in thailand, I eat nothing but thai food, I love it. I've even reached the point where I usually cook and eat thai food while at home in california. For the most part, American fast food is extremely fattening, nutritionally deficient, and flavorless. I don't mind a gigantic bacon cheeseburger once in a while, but it won't be one from a fast food restaurant.

Sure--Why Not...The only Mexican places I know of worth a Mention and Expensive are on Soi 7 Tequila Reef and on Pratumuk Hill Rd Mikes Mexican...Both are Expensive....Anything to compete with the Dozens of McDonalds that keep popping up in the Pattaya area...

Edited by kiniyow

From an expat POV, Thai food all the time gets very very boring, and as cooked in restaurants here it is not all that healthy (too much sugar, too much overused palm oil, too many chemicals, etc.) so I love variety in food. But agree American fast food is mostly crap. Didn't eat it in the U.S. and don't eat it here. I think for tourists in Thailand, eating only Thai food here during their short stay makes perfect sense.

On Taco Bell, I don't want it, but if y'all want it, you can have it!

Edited by Jingthing

I would kill for Taco Bell! It is not really mexican food but it is excellent after a night of partying. When I do get back to the states (3 times in the last 7 years) I stuff myself on it hoping to get over the cravings, but it doesn't work.

It is the only thing I miss about the US...

• Like 1

If you looking to open a franchise, i would eat sometimes.

I think it would be nice addition to fast food available at the moment

I wouldn't....there's plenty of quick and easy cheap food available.

For me if I want Mexican food....or indeed any farang style food I will make a point of finding decent quality stuff or not bother.

Cheap Thai snacks work for me.....but each to their own of course.

Unfortunately the Franchise rights are already owned by Yum! Restaurants, the company that owns Pizza Hut and KFC.

They planned to open some in the mid-90's, but then the crash happened and nothing has happened since. But they own the rights.

Perhaps Mac Walen could buy them. biggrin.png

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the Franchise rights are already owned by Yum! Restaurants, the company that owns Pizza Hut and KFC.

They planned to open some in the mid-90's, but then the crash happened and nothing has happened since. But they own the rights.

Perhaps Mac Walen could buy them. biggrin.png

I think Taco Bell is part of the Yumi restaurants group, which in turn is owned by Pepsico.

Edited by jbrain

Is the brand established elsewhere in Asia?

They used to have 7 stores in Aus, but they closed after a year or so. They also had 3 outlets in Singapore co-existing with KFC, but they only served chicken. They closed about 5 years ago.

I heard they have 2-3 in major cities in China but I haven't heard how they are faring.

What bugs me is that they are owned by Yum Brands which also owns KFC - how hard would it be to open one??

In Thailand they would likely be priced 3x the USA cheap price. Seems like a non-starter to me, no mass market appeal in that. It's not like its great food. We need more La Monitas type places in ALL expat cities. If you're going to pay a lot, get some DECENT food.

http://www.lamonita.com/La_Monita_Taqueria/Welcome.html

Edited by Jingthing

Yes. Especially at the Beach Road Central Mall and/or the soon to be opened Markland Mall.

My fav burger joint is Carl's Junior in the Beach Central Mall, 3rd floor. Most beautiful Carl's Junior in the world overlooking the Pattaya Bay with both indoor and outdoor seating. Very good burgers and very close to US taste. Slightly pricey, but worth it.

• Like 1

Having Taco Bell could be the leading edge of a greater change. As people become familiar with it; it will create an opportunity for people to start restaurants with 'better' alternatives; maybe even a few with 'real' mexican food. My family had a house in mainland Mexico that we visited a few times a year. The food was nothing like border food; it had French influence, thanks to Emperor Maximillian's efforts, and Chinese as well; (they'd imported Chinese labor, then went through a 'yellow peril' phase, like the U.S.). The food was awesome, but I suspect each region has it's own signature styles... all opportunities for niche restaurants. Think of the early Chinese American restaurants in America, in the 50's. Now, there is a plethora of regional choices, Start with Taco Bell now and our kids will reap the benefits. :-)

• Like 1

The only place I found worthy to call their products "Mexican" was El Gordo's on Soi 2-4, Silom. Sadly, it has been closed a long time. Sadly, Tequila Reef has gone downhill since one of the prior owners set up a Mexican restaurant in Angeles City, Philippines.