Taco Bell: Do you want it?

Having Taco Bell could be the leading edge of a greater change. As people become familiar with it; it will create an opportunity for people to start restaurants with 'better' alternatives; maybe even a few with 'real' mexican food. My family had a house in mainland Mexico that we visited a few times a year. The food was nothing like border food; it had French influence, thanks to Emperor Maximillian's efforts, and Chinese as well; (they'd imported Chinese labor, then went through a 'yellow peril' phase, like the U.S.). The food was awesome, but I suspect each region has it's own signature styles... all opportunities for niche restaurants. Think of the early Chinese American restaurants in America, in the 50's. Now, there is a plethora of regional choices, Start with Taco Bell now and our kids will reap the benefits. :-)

That is in interesting observation. I think if Taco Bell did come here and proved to be successful (which I think it would be), it would stimulate "change" in terms of pricing. There is no reason to charge US$6 + for a simple bean and cheese burrito. One poster, JT, pointed out that Taco Bell food would be much more expensive over here. Why? If so, that would negate one market advantage that Taco Bell has over the "competition." I was not going to mention names, but, yes, I agree that La Monita is good (it is also expensive). "Good" in the sense of Mexican food in Thailand, but it is not like the really good stuff back home (by home, I mean the SW USA). I think a Taco Bell inside Central Festival Mall would be a huge hit, especially if young Thais would start eating there. Any Taco Bell near the expat bar scene would also, I think, be a hit. I hope that if they do come here that they will not alter their recipe for Thais. One thing I dislike about KFC is that is does not resemble KFC back home. A low cost Mexican food fix is what I want. I think Taco Bell can deliver that. Looking back, I am sure people said KFC would never make it here, McDonalds would never make it here, Burger King would never make it here, Pizza Hut would never make it here, 7-11 would never make it here, etc. Given the state of the global economy it is almost certain that there will be an increasing need for low-cost food solutions. I am craving Taco Bell.

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Thailand they would likely be priced 3x the USA cheap price. Seems like a non-starter to me, no mass market appeal in that. It's not like its great food. We need more La Monitas type places in ALL expat cities. If you're going to pay a lot, get some DECENT food.

http://www.lamonita.com/La_Monita_Taqueria/Welcome.html

I don't know

It seems like Mc,Donalds,Burger King & KFC match the US prices quite closely

Which is part of the problem as here food is less

But Taco Bell was cheap in the US & had many 99 cent things, soft tacos, tacos,burritos etc

If so those would be 31 baht or so here so could be popular with the kids that like to try

western places.

I am always amazed how many Thai's are in a KFC with giant plates of chicken between them

Edited by mania

Is the brand established elsewhere in Asia?

Several years ago, in Singapore, some of the large KFC outlets had a Taco Bell counter... but not anymore.

I think Asians are just now developing a taste for Mexican food. "Several years ago" that was not the case. For the record, my brother Tonto also likes Taco Bell smile.png

post-110622-0-55352700-1373168210_thumb.

When I was young, we ate at Taco Bell quite a bit. I still remember Tuesday Taco Time. 6 tacos for 2 dollars. No, they aren't the best, but they were fun.

I was back home a few months ago and stopped by for a meal. As mentioned above, a few hours later my stomach was wondering why I did it. laugh.png Same happens to me with any of the biggie burger joints.

There are some really neat "mexican" type restaurants opening up in the US. I love Chipolte's. Rubios is great for fish tacos. Yum. Of course all the Albertos, Robertos, etc., drive throughs are fantastic. One of the few things I miss about Los Angeles.

Having Taco Bell could be the leading edge of a greater change. As people become familiar with it; it will create an opportunity for people to start restaurants with 'better' alternatives; maybe even a few with 'real' mexican food. My family had a house in mainland Mexico that we visited a few times a year. The food was nothing like border food; it had French influence, thanks to Emperor Maximillian's efforts, and Chinese as well; (they'd imported Chinese labor, then went through a 'yellow peril' phase, like the U.S.). The food was awesome, but I suspect each region has it's own signature styles... all opportunities for niche restaurants. Think of the early Chinese American restaurants in America, in the 50's. Now, there is a plethora of regional choices, Start with Taco Bell now and our kids will reap the benefits. :-)

That is in interesting observation. I think if Taco Bell did come here and proved to be successful (which I think it would be), it would stimulate "change" in terms of pricing. There is no reason to charge US$6 + for a simple bean and cheese burrito. One poster, JT, pointed out that Taco Bell food would be much more expensive over here. Why? If so, that would negate one market advantage that Taco Bell has over the "competition." I was not going to mention names, but, yes, I agree that La Monita is good (it is also expensive). "Good" in the sense of Mexican food in Thailand, but it is not like the really good stuff back home (by home, I mean the SW USA). I think a Taco Bell inside Central Festival Mall would be a huge hit, especially if young Thais would start eating there. Any Taco Bell near the expat bar scene would also, I think, be a hit. I hope that if they do come here that they will not alter their recipe for Thais. One thing I dislike about KFC is that is does not resemble KFC back home. A low cost Mexican food fix is what I want. I think Taco Bell can deliver that. Looking back, I am sure people said KFC would never make it here, McDonalds would never make it here, Burger King would never make it here, Pizza Hut would never make it here, 7-11 would never make it here, etc. Given the state of the global economy it is almost certain that there will be an increasing need for low-cost food solutions. I am craving Taco Bell.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you think La Monita is expensive. I'm not a burrito fan but a single pork carnitas taco with guacamole there costs 100 Baht.

Just how much cheaper would Taco Bell offer do you think?

I don't know

But Taco Bell was cheap in the US & had many 99 cent things, soft tacos, tacos,burritos etc

If so those would be 31 baht or so here so could be popular with the kids that like to try

western places.

I am always amazed how many Thai's are in a KFC with giant plates of chicken between them

I think most of the international chains try to maintain some sort of pricing standard but as you say having it so out of whack with the local pricing makes you all that more aware of how bad the food is that you're eating. It seems like the times I do stop into mcdonald's I spend way more than I anticipated to fill up and it's literally just to fix my American fast food craving because the menu doesn't have the things I'd normally get back home...namely the Quarter Pounder w/ cheese or an Angus burger with bacon and cheese.

Also, I would frequent the dollar menu in the US. A double cheeseburger was $1.00 so roughly 30 baht. A similar sandwich here is twice that. Again, given the local pricing for food I find this incredible. And the food quality is lacking. I've found that half the time they overcook or overprepare food so it's ready when a customer orders. It's like you have to ask them to leave something off just to get a freshly made burger that the cheese and bun isn't hardened. But when you do that you get a soggy mess. But that's a small complaint because admittedly the food in the US is always hit or miss too. Same with KFC here. I think I've eaten there all of twice but the chicken was overcooked. So true about Thais though, they do seem to love their fried chicken. God, I miss Popeye's. LOL

I don't know

western places.

I think most of the international chains try to maintain some sort of pricing standard but as you say having it so out of whack with the local pricing makes you all that more aware of how bad the food is that you're eating. It seems like the times I do stop into mcdonald's I spend way more than I anticipated to fill up and it's literally just to fix my American fast food craving because the menu doesn't have the things I'd normally get back home...namely the Quarter Pounder w/ cheese or an Angus burger with bacon and cheese.

Also, I would frequent the dollar menu in the US. A double cheeseburger was $1.00 so roughly 30 baht. A similar sandwich here is twice that. Again, given the local pricing for food I find this incredible. And the food quality is lacking. I've found that half the time they overcook or overprepare food so it's ready when a customer orders. It's like you have to ask them to leave something off just to get a freshly made burger that the cheese and bun isn't hardened. But when you do that you get a soggy mess. But that's a small complaint because admittedly the food in the US is always hit or miss too. Same with KFC here. I think I've eaten there all of twice but the chicken was overcooked. So true about Thais though, they do seem to love their fried chicken. God, I miss Popeye's. LOL

About La Monitas being expensive. I suppose some people do go there and order one taco, but I typically order a cheese enchilada, rice, beans, and guacamole $$$$ I think I spend about twice there than back home. About Popeye's: A Popeye's just opened at the Swamp airport. We can only hope that Popeye's expands (much better than KFC, IMHO).

I would love to Have a Taco Bell here! Many people try to talk for others and say there should be one, but a lot of americans love Taco Bell, tag it as fast food or mexican, Alot of us would go crazy to get one here! Same with McDonalds, thier breafast burritos with sausage egg and cheese was my favorite quick food.

Yep I'd love to see Taco Bell in Thailand. However their are some "IF's" (aren't their always) A variety of different foods is always welcome. As far as "fast" foods being unhealthy I think at this point in our golden years it's important to be health conscience, but let's face it we should have worried about that sooner rather than later. It's now later and time to enjoy what time we have left even "IF" indulging in a little tasty treat from time to time is on the menu.

Now's the time to enjoy the things in life you truly like and if that includes from time to time a few unhealthy but delicious items then so be it. Thai food is healthy for the most part "IF" you tell them to hold the sugar. They seem to over use sugar a lot IMHO. Also there is a lot to be said for enjoying a variety of foods. Again now is the time to enjoy not sacrifice. Thailand has a variety of many things to make our lives a bit more fun and enjoyable. Why not indulge in the ones we like rather than bitch about the ones we don't like

Now about the American "fast" foods, "IF" they were to improve the Thai version of it and bring it up to American "fast" food standards (can't wait to read the smart *ss remarks about that) most of us would be buying a lot more of it. Burger King would be better "IF" the meat patty was the same quality as in America i.e. juicier, bigger (same as America) and the available veggies were as fresh and same quality as in America. "IF" KFC was same size pieces and as juicy as KFC in America. "IF" Subway had same quality meats and condiments as in America. The pizza in Thailand I won't even try to compare or comment on because "most" pizza offerings in Thailand don't come close (haven't eaten at "Dukes" or other prized Bangkok locations so please save the anger for another "are you crazy" thread post).

Now to "Taco Bell" No it doesn't compare to many of the large or famous "Mexican Food" places in America but those places usually cost 2X's to 6X's more than a nice inexpensive "Taco Bell" serving.

I'm from Phoenix, AZ the heart of good bad big little cheap expensive fast food long food authentic counterfeit mexican food. "Taco Bell" comes close to being just as delicious as any of the expensive "authentic" mexican food joints. So for the cost (inexpensive and very affordable) and the very acceptable taste I would love to see "Taco Bell" all over Thailand "IF ... IF ... IF" It was just as inexpensive as in America and the same quality of preparation, ingredients and taste. ONE OF THE BIGGEST TURNOFFS FOR AMERICAN FAST FOOD IN THAILAND IS IT IS OF POORER QUALITY AND TASTE THEN IT'S AMERICAN COUNTERPARTS AND IS MORE EXPENSIVE WHICH GOES AGAINST WHY US EXPATS CAME TO THAILAND IN THE FIRST PLACE, WE CAME TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME OR BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE AT LESS COST .......... IMHO

(a disclaimer "quality of life" doesn't mean same customs or language. It simply means how much will your money buy or how far will your cash go towards one's comfort and ease of life)

Edited by carlekennedy
  • Like 1

Here's an embarrassing but true story for you. I had such bad taco bell cravings that I gave instructions to a family member coming to visit me to buy several bean burritos with extra cheese, get a small thermos box, buy some dry ice, and haul them all the way from the U.S. to BKK.

Need I tell you what they were like when they arrived? Soggy, but still tasty. bah.gif

Its a bit like Duke's in Bangkok.....you are all dreaming of La Monita opening in Pattaya.

Why not? I would be for sure!

Too bad, now I'm off to La Monita. Only a couply of stations from my place :)

Taco Bell is indirectly owned by one of the biggest companies in the world ( Pepsico) who's other restaurants in the group are spread all over the world with great success.

Yet Taco Bell is present in only a few countries, and has exited many countries in the past due to failure to be profitable, but notice that Taco Bell is praised all over this thread for iheir food quality. I assume that most of the praising posters are Americans.

I doubt that the failures are to blame on the incompetence of the holding company, the success story's of KFC and Pizzahut proof the opposite.

Could it be that Americans on this forum don't know what good food is ? biggrin.png

Taco Bell is indirectly owned by one of the biggest companies in the world ( Pepsico) who's other restaurants in the group are spread all over the world with great success.

Yet Taco Bell is present in only a few countries, and has exited many countries in the past due to failure to be profitable, but notice that Taco Bell is praised all over this thread for iheir food quality. I assume that most of the praising posters are Americans.

I doubt that the failures are to blame on the incompetence of the holding company, the success story's of KFC and Pizzahut proof the opposite.

Could it be that Americans on this forum don't know what good food is ? biggrin.png

I appreciate a good stab at us Americans. We work tirelessly to attract the world's criticisms. biggrin.png but I don't think there has been heaps of praise over Taco Bell's food quality. I don't think anyone is deluded enough to think it's good food but it fills a grilled-stuffed burrito sized hole in my American tummy.

Edited by SlideRiceFC
  • Like 1

I appreciate a good stab at us Americans. We word tirelessly to attract the world's criticisms. biggrin.png but I don't think there has been heaps of praise over Taco Bell's food quality. I don't think anyone is deluded enough to think it's good food but it fills a grilled-stuffed burrito sized hole in my American tummy.

I think what Jbrain fails to realize is that people aren't craving Taco Bell food, but it's a nice substitute compared to what LOS has to offer regarding Tex Mex.

I appreciate a good stab at us Americans. We word tirelessly to attract the world's criticisms. biggrin.png but I don't think there has been heaps of praise over Taco Bell's food quality. I don't think anyone is deluded enough to think it's good food but it fills a grilled-stuffed burrito sized hole in my American tummy.

I think what Jbrain fails to realize is that people aren't craving Taco Bell food, but it's a nice substitute compared to what LOS has to offer regarding Tex Mex.

Well, I see several posters in this thread that literally use the words " craving for Taco Bell " .

And this is definitely not a stab at Americans, I'm sure you would have noticed if hat was my intention biggrin.png , but the the fact that Taco Bell fails to be successful in most counties speaks for itself.

Edited by jbrain

Its a bit like Duke's in Bangkok.....you are all dreaming of La Monita opening in Pattaya. 

Too bad, now I'm off to La Monita. Only a couply of stations from my place :)

That's Ok...I've eaten there three times in the last fortnight.

Its probably your turn. :D

This thread has been running along quite well. Please don't violate forum rules:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I'm sure we all could come up with food from every country in the world that is not great. But that's not the purpose of this thread, and one we would not allow to run.

Too bad, now I'm off to La Monita. Only a couply of stations from my place smile.png

Its probably your turn. biggrin.png

Something tells me it´s just a stone´s throw away from your favorite pub biggrin.png

• Like 1

Too bad, now I'm off to La Monita. Only a couply of stations from my place smile.png

Its probably your turn. biggrin.png

double post

Edited by maxme

I ask the president of YUM! brands Thailand every year at the USA food fair at Central World, if they are going to open Taco Bells here. He always has the same answer. "There are no plans to open Taco Bell's in Thailand.". This year, he at least remembered me and laughed a bit. I think ive been asking him for the past 4 years now.

• Like 2

I ask the president of YUM! brands Thailand every year at the USA food fair at Central World, if they are going to open Taco Bells here. He always has the same answer. "There are no plans to open Taco Bell's in Thailand.". This year, he at least remembered me and laughed a bit. I think ive been asking him for the past 4 years now.

Glad to hear it!

Agree that Taco Bell is on par with all the other [so called] Mex restaurants here in LOS so I would patronize a TB at least a few times a year if we had one here in CM.

Let us assume you are correct. If Taco Bell is "on par with all the others" but sells similar food at a much lower price, that is a good thing. Right? One poster said that he asked the president of Yum Brands if there is a plan to introduce Taco Bell in Thailand and apprently he said "no." Too bad, unless you are a Soup N&zi. :)

I think perple all over have diferent tastes, and as an American I can say I have great taste, and know what I love! Most companies failed here because the amount of expats were not here to support them, not the case now. Ieat what I like, just because some praises it or puts it down! As for most of the praisers being American, it just shows we have a saying ing what we are wanting in this area.