Taco Bell: Do you want it?

No. Perhaps I am unusual in the aspect that I can't understand why anybody, farang or thai, would eat Western fast food in thailand, when you're surrounded by very cheap, very delicious, usually healthy thai food. I guess I can see westerners eating at kfc, burger king, mcd's, etc, because they miss their homeland, but when I'm in thailand, I eat nothing but thai food, I love it. I've even reached the point where I usually cook and eat thai food while at home in california. For the most part, American fast food is extremely fattening, nutritionally deficient, and flavorless. I don't mind a gigantic bacon cheeseburger once in a while, but it won't be one from a fast food restaurant.

With all the great food in the world, why would anyone limit themselves to only one cuisine? In the US, I did not only eat BBQ, steaks, burgers, New England boils, etc. I ate Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Thai, English, French, Mexican, Brazilian, Korean, Filipino, Ethiopian, German, . . ., you get the picture. So why, just because I live in Thailand, would i limit myself to just Thai food? Is penne putenesca less delicious because I am in Thailand than when I am in the US or Italy?

To answer the OP's question, while I in no way think Taco Bell is Mexican, if there was one here, I might stop in every once-in-awhile for a bite. I really like Jack-in-the-Box's tacos, and those are even further from Mexican than Taco Bell's offerings.

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to note that Taco Bell restaurants do very well in USA ethnic Mexican neighborhoods.

I know they tried to penetrate Mexico and failed miserably.

Easy to understand. Almost every corner has some place making some sort of great local food. From tacos and tamales of all kinds to everything else. Yum...

• Like 1

Just to note that Taco Bell restaurants do very well in USA ethnic Mexican neighborhoods.

I know they tried to penetrate Mexico and failed miserably.

Easy to understand. Almost every corner has some place making some sort of great local food. From tacos and tamales of all kinds to everything else. Yum...

Taco Bell's marketing campaign in Mexico was focused on the message: We don't sell Mexican food. We sell American fast food. You might like it.

Agree with the message. I do NOT like it.

I almost never ate Taco Bell in America, but I lived in San Francisco and good Mexican food was everywhere for about the same price. However, I have heard that they are doing some more upscale food now that competes with Mexican chains like Chipotle Mexican Grill. That might go over well in Thailand.

I almost never ate Taco Bell in America, but I lived in San Francisco and good Mexican food was everywhere for about the same price. However, I have heard that they are doing some more upscale food now that competes with Mexican chains like Chipotle Mexican Grill. That might go over well in Thailand.

Sure if their food has actually improved, that's different. However I think most of the nostalgia is for the junk food they are known for.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

You know when a poster asks a question fi someone likes or wants somehing, why is it a lot of people who don't want it have to chime in? The question was How many wanted Taco Bell, not have many disliked them. Seems like about 75% negitve answers to questions, about things they don't even know about! If you can't answer the question that is posted, don't post!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ate at Taco Bell when I lived in the States. Too much. I'm glad to be away from it, although I would like to try that Doritos shell taco just once. Yum! tried to introduce Taco Bell to Asia, but, with the exception of 2 stores in the Philippines, all have closed.

As far as Mexican restaurants in Bangkok, Tacos and Salsa was the best. But it is no more. La Monita was the second best, and I guess is the best now by default.

Has anybody been to El Mariachi Taqueria? It's out by UdomSuk. Might as well be in another country for us Nana dwellers, but looks like they're trying to be authentic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, please. Also Taco Cabana, Papa John's Pizza, Schlotzsky's, Luby's, and Church's Fried Chicken (especially fried okra, biscuits, and those jalapeno cheese things).

Oh, and Dairy Queen... bring over the chicken strip country basket with white gravy already.

I already have access to drugstores with atorvastatin, but I'm sorely lacking in junk food outlets.

coffee1.gif

I would take one for the tortillas alone, not that they are that good.

One astute poster mentioned he wanted it, with a bunch of "ifs". I agree.

If they didn't give me one packet of salsa max per burrito.

If they actually had a napkin dispenser.

If their prices stayed about the same; I'd go up to ~40 baht for a bad, small burrito, or taco. Taco Tuesdays (3 for $1) in Thailand? Yeah right.

If they had a person take your order, and another person entirely pack your order (what on earth are the Thai McDonalds thinking??)

If only that 3rd if was satisfied, I'd love to see them here though.

Yes, please. Also Taco Cabana, Papa John's Pizza, Schlotzsky's, Luby's, and Church's Fried Chicken (especially fried okra, biscuits, and those jalapeno cheese things).

Oh, and Dairy Queen... bring over the chicken strip country basket with white gravy already.

I already have access to drugstores with atorvastatin, but I'm sorely lacking in junk food outlets.

coffee1.gif

Oh...you just had to bring up Taco Cabana. Evil. I have little hope for Papa John's. I sure miss the spinach pizza but I know if that chain ever tried to get a foothold here it would get the Thai menu redress.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the Mexican food at Bourbon Street Restaurant? I've been wanting to get over there for some cajun fixins and saw they had a mexican buffet one night a week. Decent?

coffee1.gif

Oh...you just had to bring up Taco Cabana. Evil. I have little hope for Papa John's. I sure miss the spinach pizza but I know if that chain ever tried to get a foothold here it would get the Thai menu redress.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the Mexican food at Bourbon Street Restaurant? I've been wanting to get over there for some cajun fixins and saw they had a mexican buffet one night a week. Decent?

I ate there once. The thought of it makes me upchuck. It wasn't really that bad, but certainly has nothing to do with Mexican food. If you are drunk and hungry, it may fit the bill however.

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

I would also love to see Scholtzsky's (best sandwiches anywhere), Luby's (best American-style buffet) and Church's Fried Chicken (far better than KFC...a bit similar to Popeye's, which is now at the Swamp Airport). And, as the OP, I do want to see Taco Bell, not because it is great, but because it is a good, inexpensive alternative to what we have now.

Having grown up in the American Southwest, and having eaten both "American Mexican food" and "real Mexican food," I am frustrated with the "Mexican food" situation in Thailand. I think we will never see really good Mexican food over here, especially at a decent price. Given that, how many of you would settle for Taco Bell as a temporary fix? Yes, I know it is really not really "Mexican food", and it is certainly not good Mexican food, but it satisfies a craving, fills a niche, and it does so inexpensively. If I had a choice of eating at the places over here that are pretending to serve Mexican food (places whose names I will not mention) or Taco Bell, I would select Taco Bell. I actually miss eating at Taco Bell. I think Taco Bell would be a huge hit in Pattaya-Jomtien. Do you want to see Taco Bell in Thailand?

Yes, Taco Bell ... Love it !!!

Know people who are running Mexican restaurants and having to defend their food say Taco Bell is not real Mex food.... Who cares ? I love it. And chilly in my option has beans and Tacos have ground beef. After trying all the others I pick Taco Bell hands down :)

coffee1.gif

Oh, dear Lord, please bring in a Schlotzsky's. I will move my residence in order to be within walking distance of a Schlotzsky's. The Original is the best sandwich ever devised by man. I can taste it now.

If you looking to open a franchise, i would eat sometimes.

I think it would be nice addition to fast food available at the moment

Unfortunately the Franchise rights are already owned by Yum! Restaurants, the company that owns Pizza Hut and KFC.

They planned to open some in the mid-90's, but then the crash happened and nothing has happened since. But they own the rights.

Perhaps Mac Walen could buy them. biggrin.png

I think Taco Bell is part of the Yumi restaurants group, which in turn is owned by Pepsico.

Pepsico used to own Taco Bell and KFC and Pizza Hut but they spun them off to the YUM! group. The Yum! group has almost 40,000 restaurants worldwide so don't be surprised to see Taco Bell in LOS.

And yes, I like their food for fast, tasty and cheap.

I have little hope for Papa John's. I sure miss the spinach pizza but I know if that chain ever tried to get a foothold here it would get the Thai menu redress.

A little off topic but the spinach pizza in Little Italian takeaway on the corner of Suk Soi 23 right near Soi Cowboy is not bad. Not the greatest, but at 50 baht per slice and no waiting, it's on my lunch schedule a few times a month.

Has anybody been to El Mariachi Taqueria? It's out by UdomSuk. Might as well be in another country for us Nana dwellers, but looks like they're trying to be authentic.

I hadn't heard of it previously... Interesting arrival.

https://www.facebook.com/elmariachitaqueria/info

BTS Udom Suk (Exit No. 3)

Take a taxi from in front of the IDEO Mix Condominium to Srinakarin road. Turn left into Udom Suk road and go straight until Sri Udom Junction (don't cross the flyover) then turn left again to Srinakarin Road. U-turn at the first junction in front of Paradise Park shopping mall. Once u-turned keep left for about 100m and the restaurant is on the left before the pedestrian bridge. The opposite side is Esso gas station.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell yes.

I would eat that crap occasionally on trips to the states. It is great going down but horrible an hour later. That said, it would be a good change of pace here. The Mexican I have had in BKK is generally terribly overpriced and crap. Tacos and Salsa was my last mistake. Never again.

As for Asian locations, there are one or two in Korea and if you can make friends with someone in the US military, I believe they have them on base in most places. Even in the sandbox.

I've posted it before, but as far as fast food tacos, Jack-in-the-Box's are the best, hands down. I love them and get them on every trip back to the West Coast. They also have the best fast food burgers, in my opinion, and their curly fries are great, making them my favorite in the genre, cholesterol be d-----d.

• Like 1