Driven D-Axis Fuel Cap

As my bike was delayed yet again (delivery van troubles this time- now it's possibly Monday or 'definitely' Tuesday- at least I know they're telling the truth as I know where it's being repaired, and the bike is safe- I wouldn't bet my life on Tuesday, though- what a PITA this has been, but enough of that...) I decided to do something about the stock gas cap, which I hate.

The silver ring and ugly design just don't work for me- I ordered a Driven D-Axis fuel cap- it's 1/4 turn and keyless (I'm not too worried about it, and I hate fiddling with the key at the gas station), and it's well-vented, unlike some other aftermarket caps- I think it will be a huge improvement over the stocker. I ordered some black bolts as well.

I'll go from this:

post-176811-0-91521200-1373117252_thumb.

To this (I got the dark gray ring so there's a bit of contrast):

DRIVENGASCAP.jpg

I'm trying to replace most of the small silver parts with black- I've also got passenger pegs and CF heel guards on the way, and I'll replace many of the bolts eventually (i.e. the ones around the windscreen).

My cap has some oxidation as they have two different metals touching.

That's a good point- no doubt we have the same stock cap.

There are a lot of options on eBay worth checking out- Vortex makes a nice cap as well- I like their stuff and might have gotten it instead, but it requires two full turns to open, and I preferred the 1/4 turn option (it also requires a little more muscle to push down and turn, which would hopefully make someone who fooled around with it think it was actually locked).

• 3 weeks later...

I put the cap on this morning- I like the change- I just hate the look of the stock cap, especially the two fake bolts (only three are used on just about very Japanese bike- the two below the top bolt are for show)- those stickers will be coming off as soon as the suns comes out, so I can warm up the tank before applying WD-40 and a hair dryer:

post-176811-0-38036300-1374456079_thumb.

post-176811-0-88786400-1374456068_thumb.

I put the Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen in 'dark smoke' on as well- the stocker was directing the wind into my face, and now it will hopefully go over my head:

post-176811-0-56835600-1374456057_thumb.

post-176811-0-17337100-1374456047_thumb.

Note both items assume you're using your old hardware- I ordered replacement black (instead of silver) bolts from Hong Kong.

Edited by RubberSideDown

That looks pretty nice - think I will do the same for my bike (Z1000) which from the looks of it has the same (or similar) cap. Occasionally it does stick, so the driven one seems to make a bit of sense.

No doubt it's the exact same size cap.

Make sure if you order one you're getting the cap and the base as they're sold as both a package and separately- if the price seems too low, it's for one or the other.;)

They're a nice fuel cap, though I'm not a fan of lanyard held caps, as eventually they do break. Does it come with a spare lanyard by any chance?

Not sure what you mean- there's no lanyard- the cap comes free of the base without an attachment.

Here's a vid of the installation:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbZs5tyYcVQ

Edited by RubberSideDown