Interview with Abhisit: 'My wife threatened to divorce me if I do a deal on amnesty bill'

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a far cry from his former 21 years as a politician - working diligently at Parliament and the Democrat Party headquarters

And don't forget that diligent stint as lecturer at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy
  • Like 1

I'd like to hear a similar interview with Thaksin - I wonder how that would go

I can think of many questions I'd like him to try and squirm out of

I think the interview would be along the lines of

"Do you know who I am? " followed by a series of red or yellow cards, probably mostly red.

Edited by Bluespunk

After listening to Abhisit in a debate on the BBC, one suspects his grasp and usage of the English language is better than both yours or mine...

I can't see how you get from his parents being worrried about him, to them knowing he is guilty ..rolleyes.gif however I will concide that the English skills of the jouro who wrote this piece may be at a lower standard that that of the person he interviewed...

although there is a lot of political showboating in this piece.....If Abhibsit stands by what he has said about taking responsibility, if need be and not negotiating with the thugs in power to allow our man in dubai a free pass...well done to him, Thailand politics needs a few more like him....thumbsup.gif

If you mean the two interviews on BBC Hardtalk with Stephen Sackur and earlier with Zeinab Badawi, I thought his grasp and usage of English while very competent was less impressive than expected (and definitely not superior to mine), given his many years of education in England at elite institutions.Whether his grasp of English is better than the typical forum member, that is a matter on which I could not possibly comment.

• Like 1

>with whom he stands accused of ordering the killings of red-shirt demonstrators in 2010.

>"I'm now a regular visitor at the courts," Abhisit smiles, adding that he doesn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm no fan of either side of these scoundrels (red, yellow or white), but if quoted correctly the above comment comes across as a little crass for my taste.

How so if read within the context of the article?

Elected representatives should not let their policies be determined by family members - wife or brother!

Many of the world's political leaders are and have been influenced in thier decision making by thier wives and/or other family members.

Edit: Grammar.

You should probably also revisit this edit :P

After listening to Abhisit in a debate on the BBC, one suspects his grasp and usage of the English language is better than both yours or mine...

I can't see how you get from his parents being worrried about him, to them knowing he is guilty ..rolleyes.gif however I will concide that the English skills of the jouro who wrote this piece may be at a lower standard that that of the person he interviewed...

although there is a lot of political showboating in this piece.....If Abhibsit stands by what he has said about taking responsibility, if need be and not negotiating with the thugs in power to allow our man in dubai a free pass...well done to him, Thailand politics needs a few more like him....thumbsup.gif

Totally agree ?

• Like 1

Quote: "It's normal that mum and dad should be worried about me, but my wife [Pimpen Vejjajiva] is not worried at all. She strongly believes in my innocence," Abhisit said.

Does that mean his parents know that he is guilty or, that after all those years studying in England, his use of the language is still lacking?

Did he study Thai in England?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

my feeling went same school as the British prime minister ,taught to lie very well

• Like 2

Abhisit smiles, adding that he doesn't lose any sleep over it’ sums up his arrogant attitude obviously he feels no responsibility or remorse for the death’s that happened under his watch, He clearly knows the power and wealth of his family will buy him out of any fix in Thailand.

You can say that about any influential Thai politician.

I take issue with two of Abhisit's statements:

1.'My wife threatened to divorce me if I do a deal on amnesty bill'

This shows a weak personality and weak political convictions. It can also be interpreted as: attempting to defuse some of the fallout due Abhisit, if Thaksin comes back in the future.

2. However, the deaths of those 99 people during the 2010 political violence have returned to haunt him, and the case threatens to destroy his political future. "It depends on the people. If they find me guilty, I will have to take responsibility," he said.

Abhisit is guilty if he actually gave the order to use live ammo, not if the people find him guilty.

• Like 1

This is not a surprise at all, he was always told by others what to do. Abhisit was only a puppet for the military. He never made any decisions by himself, but a PM who was an elite british academic provided something that the military junta lacked in their own men.

Perhaps this academic training has led to his downfall that he finds himself in now, taking the fall for the military's own crimes. Tough luck pretty boy. Is your British education going to save you?

If former prime minister Abhisit would be British his career would have long since terminated

No sniper in any professional Army 'takes out' his fellow countrymen with out clear instruction from the top.

Unfourtunatly Prime Minister Abhisit was at 'the top at the time' of those executions whilst orchesrating events from the Barracks of the Eleventh Infranty in Bangkok.

Edited by Rooo
quotes
  • Like 1

I would expect that he peceived his wife,s remark to prove that SHE did not support amnesty, agreeing with him and thereby providing support for his stand in this matter. Rightly so in my humble opinion.

And Abhisit perceives his wife's remarks to be "proof" that he didn't support amnesty.

• Like 2

Abhisit smiles, adding that he doesn't lose any sleep over it’ sums up his arrogant attitude obviously he feels no responsibility or remorse for the death’s that happened under his watch, He clearly knows the power and wealth of his family will buy him out of any fix in Thailand.

"He cried for a long time that night and could not decide what to do. It was his wife who helped him get through the ordeal"

Which OP did you read?

Well now we know who wears the trousers in that family!

I take issue with two of Abhisit's statements:

1.'My wife threatened to divorce me if I do a deal on amnesty bill'

This shows a weak personality and weak political convictions. It can also be interpreted as: attempting to defuse some of the fallout due Abhisit, if Thaksin comes back in the future.

2. However, the deaths of those 99 people during the 2010 political violence have returned to haunt him, and the case threatens to destroy his political future. "It depends on the people. If they find me guilty, I will have to take responsibility," he said.

Abhisit is guilty if he actually gave the order to use live ammo, not if the people find him guilty.

I think the comment about his wife threatening divorce isn't meant to be taken literally but to show how strongly she feels about the amnesty.

When he says "It depends on the people. If they find me guilty, I will have to take responsibility," I would think he means the Thai people as represented by the courts.

He wouldn't be guilty just because he authorised the use of live ammo that's what the army does sometimes. They had rules of engagement which didn't allow them to just shoot anyone they wanted. If they broke those rules then they should be disciplined.

I assume the police have live ammo in their guns and can use it if it is done within the rules they are given.

This is not a surprise at all, he was always told by others what to do. Abhisit was only a puppet for the military. He never made any decisions by himself, but a PM who was an elite british academic provided something that the military junta lacked in their own men.

Perhaps this academic training has led to his downfall that he finds himself in now, taking the fall for the military's own crimes. Tough luck pretty boy. Is your British education going to save you?

If former prime minister Abhisit would be British his career would have long since terminated

No sniper in any professional Army 'takes out' his fellow countrymen with out clear instruction from the top.

Unfourtunatly Prime Minister Abhisit was at 'the top at the time' of those executions whilst orchesrating events from the Barracks of the Eleventh Infranty in Bangkok.

If Thailand was England, Thaksin would have been banned for plainly lying about his hidden assets in 2001.

And as for the reds seizure of Ratchaprasong- no western government would have tolerated that for more than a few days.

Apisit was put in an impossible situation and did the best he did- unlike the coward in Dubai or Hong kong.

What you say about Thaksin and the reds seizure of Ratchaprasong is no doubt true.But equally there would have been a very high political price to pay for Abhisit presiding over the deaths of so many people - at the very least a complete end to his political activity.So by all means reflect on " a what would have happened in the UK " scenario but do try and be honest about it.