From 1 year to 5 year Driving Licence in Phuket

sonos99

Not trying to hijack the thread but I think the question fits in nicely here and does not require a new topic.

I hold a driver's license valid for 5 years. A while ago a got a new passport as the old one had expired, so now new passport number does not match with the old passport number on the driver's license.

So far I thought let's just leave it and I show my new passport when I renew the license as required in 2015. But as they seems to be after over-stayers at the moment I might be at risk if they cannot find my old invalid passport number in the immigration computer. Of course that can be sorted by showing them my new passport and everything will be okay, except that I might get fined for not updating/renewing my driver's license after I was issued a new passport.

I would think that they can simply change the passport number in the computer and print out new driver's license(s) with same validity until 2015.

Anyone any advice based on personal experience or otherwise?

Not trying to hijack the thread but I think the question fits in nicely here and does not require a new topic.

I hold a driver's license valid for 5 years. A while ago a got a new passport as the old one had expired, so now new passport number does not match with the old passport number on the driver's license.

So far I thought let's just leave it and I show my new passport when I renew the license as required in 2015. But as they seems to be after over-stayers at the moment I might be at risk if they cannot find my old invalid passport number in the immigration computer. Of course that can be sorted by showing them my new passport and everything will be okay, except that I might get fined for not updating/renewing my driver's license after I was issued a new passport.

I would think that they can simply change the passport number in the computer and print out new driver's license(s) with same validity until 2015.

Anyone any advice based on personal experience or otherwise?

Sure, can get a new DL, but that means validity as per now and full charge for the new DL.

Just wait, as soon as they see your DL you'll be ok, the BIB don't have mobile computers to check the passport numbers.

That BTW was the advice from the DL office in Phuket Town, I'm on a 10 year license and my 2nd new passport since DL was issued.

Edited by stevenl

Thanks stevenl. Surely the police cannot check directly themselves but could of course contact immigration if they are serious about hunting down over stayers.

But I will not get too paranoid about it and leave it as it is.

However you raised another question. I thought that the DL always was issued for one year followed by consecutive 5-year ones. When does one become eligible for a 10-year license?

<snip>

However you raised another question. I thought that the DL always was issued for one year followed by consecutive 5-year ones. When does one become eligible for a 10-year license?

5 years is the max period issued, even for Thais. Thais used to get a life time licence but that was discontinued quite a few years ago. My wife rushed to get her life time one before the new rule kicked in.

Thanks stevenl. Surely the police cannot check directly themselves but could of course contact immigration if they are serious about hunting down over stayers.

But I will not get too paranoid about it and leave it as it is.

9 years ago I was issued a 10-year license (when Thais were still issued a life time license). I'm afraid next time will have to settle for 5.

Edit: if they contact immigration you're good to go, because I'm sure you had your visa transfered to or issued on your new passport?

Edited by stevenl