Taking orphans out for the day

i claudius

The wife and i were passing the orphanage today and we wondered if it was possible to take a youngster for a day out,our son is off in uni and we wondered if it was possible to do this (yes i know we can ask at the orphanage) i just wondered if anyone did it ,.

You will have to go and toalk to them. A few years back I used to help take out a large party of kids from the Mercy Street kids' Mission. What they needed were volunteers to arrange an afternoon out for all the kids.

I turned up with my Fortuner and some other volunteers came with their own transport and they all piled in we took them to the zoo for the afternoon. Obviously there were adult carers from the mission who came along to help and keep an eye on things. On another occasion we took them to Carefour (as was then) and they played all afternoon on the games and rides and then had a feast in Macdonalds - or somewhere similar, I forget.

Not too sure about taking just one kid out for the day, but no harm in asking...

• Like 1

I don't think it will be easy to take just 1 kid out as there are very strict rules and also you will make the rest jealous.

I asked about volunteering for the same thing you are saying at the Father Ray foundation when i donated a motorcycle to them and it seems you would need a work permit as a volunteer however if you have a Thai wife like you say maybe that would be different.

I'm sure they will need a lot of info just for safety purposes though. Let us know how it goes please.

I agree with gone. It's not fair taking one kid or even a few for a treat.

I think it better to buy them all a happy meal, KFC or hire a bouncy castle, magician etc. so they can all have a good time.

Nice idea but rethink.

• Like 1

I think it better to buy them all a happy meal, KFC or hire a bouncy castle, magician etc. so they can all have a good time.

Nice idea but rethink.

Wow that is a great idea really especially the Bouncy Castle, magician etc.

Anyone know where to rent these and how much?

Edited by Gone

I don't think it will be easy to take just 1 kid out as there are very strict rules and also you will make the rest jealous.

I asked about volunteering for the same thing you are saying at the Father Ray foundation when i donated a motorcycle to them and it seems you would need a work permit as a volunteer however if you have a Thai wife like you say maybe that would be different.

I'm sure they will need a lot of info just for safety purposes though. Let us know how it goes please.

Since the scandal, I doubt they would let any child out without a staff member present.

You'd have to arrange it with the staff.

Father Ray told me that the thing to bring for the kids was fruit, though I also bought some games for them. They also like to eat icecream from the travelling ice cream man. I was sponsering a child though, so I don't know how it would work if you just turned up.

Nice idea but rethink.

Do you realise how many kids there are? You'd have to be really well off to buy them all anything.

Also, it's like a home to them, not an institution, so it'd be no different to one child from a normal family going out for the day without their siblings.

Also, the age range is from newborn to secondary school students, maybe even uni, so I don't think a bouncy castle is going to do it for teenagers!

The OP has a heart and that's praiseworthy but what places like Father Ray Foundation really need is continuous support to house, school, feed and educate 850 needy children daily so the very best way to help is via a donation - no matter how small - that goes towards the overall bigger scheme of things rather than making one child happy for a day. And I say this with the utmost respect for the OP.

• Like 1

Nice idea but rethink.

Do you realise how many kids there are? You'd have to be really well off to buy them all anything.

Also, it's like a home to them, not an institution, so it'd be no different to one child from a normal family going out for the day without their siblings.

Also, the age range is from newborn to secondary school students, maybe even uni, so I don't think a bouncy castle is going to do it for teenagers!

It was only a suggestion pal, keep your feking hair on. Jeezus.

But I wonder, why so many orphans in Thailand, nobody to adopt them or it is too difficult to go through the adoption process abroad?

But I heard that it's easy in Thailand, so there are not enough family to adopt all the Thai orphans ?

I would really like to understand.

Also, in developing countries a kid is never really orphan (think Africa) because there is always someone from the family who can rescue here, but not here ?

Thanks for your light.

ps: and to help them I think that this over money making forum could spend some time to ask members to help in some way or others... And I hope the owner also secretly or openly help because if he makes so much money it's thanks to us !

Edited by bangkokstick

But I wonder, why so many orphans in Thailand, nobody to adopt them or it is too difficult to go through the adoption process abroad?

There's only one Madonna and one Angelina Jolie and they aren't about to adopt every orphan on the planet.

It's a sad fact but not a lot you can do to change the world.

The sad fact is that the term "orphanage" is used to embrace many needy children that are seldom adopted as it includes blind or other-wise disabled children and the Father Ray Foundation and other organisations help those that have been orphaned or abandoned as well as help families care for their own children with special needs that are not easily by placed in government schools nor are they provided with other agency help that they need to raise such children. So, donations are really the best help we can give.

Thanks all for the information ,as it happens when we were in the UK we used to donate to the father Ray foundation and buy christmas cards ect , taking out a large group on our own would be a little beyond us ,it was just a thought that say sponsering one or two children (i know that sounds a bit silly) and buying them treats and such with days out , anyway we shall pop in there and see what we can do .

When I donated the motorbike I asked that it be used to let the children turning of driving age to be able to use it for them to practice on and then take the younger kids out for going to the stores or just generally to get out and they said yes that is what they do.

I cannot donate my time as sometimes i need to go to a job elsewhere so that was not an option for me. They are already well staffed there now anyways but yes donations DO get around and are greatly appreciated.

But I heard that it's easy in Thailand, so there are not enough family to adopt all the Thai orphans ?

I would really like to understand.

Also, in developing countries a kid is never really orphan (think Africa) because there is always someone from the family who can rescue here, but not here ?

Thanks for your light.

ps: and to help them I think that this over money making forum could spend some time to ask members to help in some way or others... And I hope the owner also secretly or openly help because if he makes so much money it's thanks to us !

Many of the children there are not orphans, but the parent/s are unable to support them, so not eligible for adoption anyway.

If anyone wants to support the orphanage, it is easy to sponsor a child. Costs about 15 pound sterling a month, and is a charitable donation for taxation purposes. Just look on the web site.

Nice idea but rethink.

Fantastic idea!! +1