Phuket teenager shot in gang attack

webfact

Phuket teenager shot in gang attack
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: A 16-year-old boy from Rawai was shot in the leg four times by a gang of teenagers in a reprisal attack in Phuket Town last night.

The teenager, given the pseudonym “Korn” by police, was shot multiple times at the Esso gas station near the busy Slaughterhouse Intersection (map here) at about 9:20pm.

“When we arrived at the gas station, we saw pools of blood on the ground but the boy had already been rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital by his friends,” said Maj Rattaket Munmuang of the Phuket City Police.

“He was shot twice in his left calf and twice in his left thigh,” Maj Rattaket explained.

At Vachira Hospital, Korn told police the attack happened after he and his friends went to a computer game shop in Soi Pattana 14, off Pattana Road nearby.

“After the shop closed, we sat at the laundry shop across the road,” he said.

“While we were sitting there, a gang of about eight teenagers, who we had argued with before, rode past. A little later, they rode back, pulled out knives and started walking toward us,” Korn alleged.

“We all ran. I made it to the gas station before they caught up with me. They hit me, shot me in the leg and rode away,” he said.

“My friends arrived soon after and took me to the hospital,” he added.

Maj Rattaket said his officers were continuing their investigation on the presumption the attack was motivated by revenge.

“We will collect more evidence and question more witnesses to track down the teen gang,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-teenager-shot-in-gang-attack-21580.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-08

People say these things happen in all countries, and they're right -- they do. But in western countries these kinds of gang activities typically occur amongst a small percentage of the population, usually in poor, inner city neighborhoods where both good schools and decent role models are hard to come by.

When one considers the large percentage of Thais who lack access to good schools and proper role models, it's worrying to think about the direction this country is headed in. Gangs are on the rise here, and many young Thai men (and boys) fit the demographic of people likely to join them: poor, alienated and uneducated. Add in the culture of "face", and it's not hard to fathom why gangs could become a problem of epidemic proportions here.

• Like 2

People say these things happen in all countries, and they're right -- they do. But in western countries these kinds of gang activities typically occur amongst a small percentage of the population, usually in poor, inner city neighborhoods where both good schools and decent role models are hard to come by.

When one considers the large percentage of Thais who lack access to good schools and proper role models, it's worrying to think about the direction this country is headed in. Gangs are on the rise here, and many young Thai men (and boys) fit the demographic of people likely to join them: poor, alienated and uneducated. Add in the culture of "face", and it's not hard to fathom why gangs could become a problem of epidemic proportions here.

You can throw drugs into that mix as well. The scourge of society...

“When we arrived at the gas station, we saw pools of blood on the ground but the boy had already been rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital by his friends,” said Maj Rattaket Munmuang of the Phuket City Police.

Didn't have far to go - Vachira II is about 100 yards away.

I'm sure these youths will grow out of their evil ways to become fine citizens of Phuket in the future. smile.pngsmile.png

We need an Unlike button.

It was obviously a sarcastic comment.

Seriously, if the police do not jump on these young guys now, they will be the next generation of criminals on the island, if they are not at that point already, which it appears from the OP that they already are, at the age of 16 and still playing computer games.

One must wonder where the money for the computer games and gun has come from.

• Like 1

Dont think you live in thailand.

The 'bad' schools are pretty much bad because of the curriculum and the quality of teacher. There isnt constant rape and fights on the school grounds. Lots of supervision..

In black ghettos you have rapes and beatdowns non stop on school grounds and the teacher are unable to teach grade 1 stuff to grade 8-10 students. Even the good kids act as wild animals. In thai school even the wild ones get canned. There's also plenty of good role models in any thai neighborhood. Thais have a lot of flaws but you can always find a few influencial people trying to do the right thing in every community. They still do a lot of wrong but thats not out of spite for the world, just lack of education and proper nutrition.

There's very little excuse for thai gangs. Poorest neighborhood here are more like almost lowish middle class western neighborhood(id say average 35-40k salaries for household)

You should watch "The Wire" season 4-5 to see a very good representation of ghetto schools. I have a few friends who were brought up in that neighborhood and being a good boy there starts at not having killed someone.

Edited by bearpolar

This country either need to put cultural values into new generation or strict gun control.

The schools already spend more time on "cultural values" than they do on the 3 R's. And Thailand already has strict gun control laws, and yet one of the highest gun murder rates per capita in the world. Criminals don't obey laws - even gun control laws, or drug laws, or theft laws...

The 'bad' schools are pretty much bad because of the curriculum and the quality of teacher. There isnt constant rape and fights on the school grounds. Lots of supervision..

In black ghettos you have rapes and beatdowns non stop on school grounds and the teacher are unable to teach grade 1 stuff to grade 8-10 students. Even the good kids act as wild animals. In thai school even the wild ones get canned. There's also plenty of good role models in any thai neighborhood. Thais have a lot of flaws but you can always find a few influencial people trying to do the right thing in every community. They still do a lot of wrong but thats not out of spite for the world, just lack of education and proper nutrition.

There's very little excuse for thai gangs. Poorest neighborhood here are more like almost lowish middle class western neighborhood(id say average 35-40k salaries for household)

You should watch "The Wire" season 4-5 to see a very good representation of ghetto schools. I have a few friends who were brought up in that neighborhood and being a good boy there starts at not having killed someone.

Wrong, I live in Thailand. And no need to watch the wire, I grew up in New York, which has many neighborhoods similar to those in the show. Moreover, I attended a very culturally integrated school...

Yes, Thai schools are bad because of the curriculum, which was my point. Student's aren't taught to think, i.e., better themselves, and thus are left with little to no options upon graduation. They are ripe for indoctrination into gangs, which promise its members respect and access to easy money...

Good Thai role models will find they have less and less influence over time, as materialism's grip continues to choke the life out of traditional Thai culture. Which was my point -- I think there's a very good chance that gang culture will continue to grow here in Thailand. 35-40,000 baht a month isn't much, especially in Phuket, if a Thai wishes to have all the pretty things he sees on TV.

Wrong, I live in Thailand. And no need to watch the wire, I grew up in New York, which has many neighborhoods similar to those in the show. Moreover, I attended a very culturally integrated school...

Yes, Thai schools are bad because of the curriculum, which was my point. Student's aren't taught to think, i.e., better themselves, and thus are left with little to no options upon graduation. They are ripe for indoctrination into gangs, which promise its members respect and access to easy money...

Good Thai role models will find they have less and less influence over time, as materialism's grip continues to choke the life out of traditional Thai culture. Which was my point -- I think there's a very good chance that gang culture will continue to grow here in Thailand. 35-40,000 baht a month isn't much, especially in Phuket, if a Thai wishes to have all the pretty things he sees on TV.

I would also add drug and gambling addiction into that mix.

It appears they are hooked on computer games now, wait till they are addicted to Ya Ba.