American surfer dies in Phuket

webfact

American surfer dies in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

beach.jpg
Mark Carroll (not pictured) fell unconsious into the waters off Kata Beach while surfing the Phuket beach break. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- A 60-year-old American surfing on Phuket’s popular break at Kata Beach died after falling from his board into the water.

Mark Carroll arrived in Thailand yesterday and immediately hit Kata’s surf alone after checking into his hotel.

“Mr Carroll appeared to have lost consciousness while surfing and fell into the water,” Pichai Wattanawalan of the Karon Police told the Phuket Gazette.

The American was unconscious, but breathing when lifeguards pulled him from the water, said Capt Pichai.

“However, Mr Carroll stopped breathing while being transferred to Patong Hospital. Doctors did their best to resuscitate him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at about 6:30pm,” Capt Pichai said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/American-surfer-dies-in-Phuket-21582.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-09

Sad news for this guy and his family RIP..

{i read on another site that he had actually played a part in rescuing a couple of others from the surf earlier and also that he may have had a heart attack that caused hid death/drowning]

On a slightly humerous point [not taking anything away from the seriousness of drownings, i might add] on the beach conditions, something that really gets my wife laughing is watching the large number of ''portly'' farang waddling along the beach maybe only in knee deep water and suddenly ending up on their bums and rolling over and over when a larger wave sweeps their feet from under...biggrin.png great entertainment....

A 60-year-old American surfing on Phuket’s popular break at Kata Beach died after falling from his board into the water.

RIP

I think this from OP tells it as i said..[may have had heart attack]

“Mr Carroll appeared to have lost consciousness while surfing and fell into the water,”

Does anyone know if this was "San Diego" Mark, the guy with the gruff voice (met him a number of times if so, never caught the family name)?

Also, not sure if he had people here although he was here a lot if indeed him.

If anyone abroad needs help here, please PM me. GOM

>>Looks like he died doing what he loved!

If it's the Mark I'm thinking it is, he definitely loved the beach and surfing. RIP Mark.

Another outlet says;Mark Carroll arrived in Thailand yesterday and immediately hit Kata’s surf alone after checking into his hotel.

So maybe a newcomer tourist..

I am a friend of Mark's from New Jersey. If anyone knows Mark or can tell us more about what happened., his friends would greatly appreciate it. We are devastated and its hard because he was so far away by himself. Mark loved Thailand, and he was doing what he loved. He left us way too soon.

post-183360-0-25672900-1373517744.jpg