World Of Warcraft

vett

Hi

I just moved to Bangkok about one month ago, And so far I really like this country :o ...

I have a true ADSL connection (2048/512), and I am playing on the EU server - Bloodscalp.

Usually the latency is around 600-800 ms, which is ok for grinding, but not good for PvP (which I enjoy the most).

Is is possible to improve the latency through some sort of proxy/ssh connection? Any other options? If not then I guess I have to create a new character on another realm... So obvious I want a realm with low latency, and English speaking. Which server can u recommend in this part of the world?

Thanks!

//Vett

Down here in Phuket the best i managed to acheive was a response time of 500ms - as you said ok for grinding but not much good for PvP

In the end i shelved WoW and moved onto EQ2 - i havent found a latency counter but it does seem a lot smoother than WoW and i'm playing on a PvP server and can hold my own nicely against the enemy. (my kill to death ratio is about 4/1 at the moment)

The only real difference that i can see is the amount of data being passed around, whilst that doesnt have much effect on the response times i guess its haveing enough of an effect to balance things out.

Of course, all these problems would go away if these stupid companies would open an english based server somewhere in asia, singapore, hong kong or even australia would do!

Happy gaming, move over to EQ2 and send me a PM, ive got a small group of dedicated asia based players but theres always room for more!

Hi

Thanks for the info.

I actually played EQ2 before, but then WoW was released and I was hooked :o But if there is no solution to my problem, i might join EQ2 again :D I will let u know if I give up on WoW...

//Vett

Have either of you tried Oblivion yet?

Best RPG in years if you ask me

I stopped playing MMORPGs cos I got bored of the grind

With Oblivion I am 40hrs in and have barely scratched the surface of the main quest.. no problems with lag cos its single player only :o

Are there WOW servers available in the USA?

If so try them, I consistently have ping times to the US about half of what I would get to Europe.

Reason is that the main international pipes of Thailand go straight to the US, meaning any traffic bound for Europe will first pass through the US, hence the long ping times.

Although my ping times are quite good considering the distance to the US / Europe, normally under 300ms for the US and under 500ms for Europe (Maxnet TT&T adsl, Pattaya)

post-4701-1144284357_thumb.jpg

Yeah the WoW servers were based in the US if memory serves me correctly. They have other servers around the world, but these are localised to a specific language (not english) so might not be an option to play.

They were talking about opening a european server, dont know if thats happened yet or not as im a bit out of the loop for WoW.

I hear you on the grind aspect Ian_B but thats inherent in any online game generally, thats why im really enjoying the servers im playing on EQ2 - PvP is a very real option from about lvl20 onwards, and if your used to these types of games it wont take you longer than a few sessions to get to lvl20. I'm almost lvl30 and i'm begining to notice the grind now, having a good team to play alongside helps a lot, theres a few of us who group together and i've been PM'd by another ThaiVisa.com member who might be joining us also

I've heard Oblivion is a great game, i will try it at some point, but it wont hold a candle to online games, for me, as a large part of my enjoyment is to hook up with friends and go do stuff, Single player games just dont hold the same appeal for me any more.

I play on Khaz'goroth, a USA server but with Oceanic-bias (time and provided for aus / nz / SEA people). I have True ADSL 512k standard package and my usual ping is between 200 and 600ms. Which is fine for most things.

BTW, someone said to "try USA servers". Just to point out if yu have euro WoW, you cannot try USA servers, and viceversa, you need a diiferent account. What what I know, you can only get USA WoW and USA timecards here in Bangkok.

I just got Oblivion for my 360 and it's great. But it's also so incredibly openended (sp?) that it actually got to me for a few days, just not knowing what to do. But time has paid off and now I'm enjoying it :o

Edited by nephilim

Playing WoW is very pleasant, but with too much lag it can become very boring. Not only in PvP, but also in big instances such as Molten Core. No problem if you're about killing plainstriders. :D

I played more than 6 months from Switzerland (Khaz Modan with 2 lvl60 characters) on a french server based in Germany who had a lot of lag problems, server down and so on. When everything was fine I had a 35ms lag, but many time it go up to more than 2000ms (unplayable). Blizzard always apologized saying they have overheating and other unknown issue on this server, and sometime gave us on free day more.

But I consider that Blizzard have to give us perfect working servers for the "high" monthly subsription fee they ask. So I gave up, also for the reason I became a "nolife" playing WoW.

Now the problem is not even resolved 6 months later as I could read on their forum (many complaints).

So i think, admitting that the connection from Thailand is not the best you can get, it's not always due to your provider. It can be the server overcrowded or something else. Not very fair from Blizzard considering the amount of money they make with more than 4 millions players around the world. :o

The game is not free, so you have to buy the box with a 1 months free playtime. You can maybe find the install iso's with a P2P program but without the free playtime. :o

Then you have to buy "time" to play, by credit card to their website. There is also 2months playtime cards available.

From my experience, the game and gamecards are available from one shop only! It's on the 4th floor, MBK, go up through Tokyo and turn right. There's only one "legal" game shop there anyway, and that's it.

I believe you can also find it in Phantip. Everywhere I ask for camecards, they always say "go mbk!" like it's a commonly known thing.

Hi

Seems I have to go MBK and get the US WoW version. Should be enough time to grind a new character to lvl60 before Burning Crusade will be released :D I am just not too happy about leaving my 2 lvl60 char's behind on the EU based server :o

Another option would also be to wait, and hope for character migration where you have to pay a fee (If that is ever going to happen...)

Thanks for all your info :D

//Vett