Best coastal town/city in thailand

usually always return to pattaya & stay for a month or more.

can't help but think there are potentially dozens of wonderful coastal towns or cities that are:

1. far more picturesque;

2. more relaxed;

3. still very inexpensive

4. having great nite-life (or more accurately, plenty of suuwaay poo yings)

i've heard Hua Hin is great, though more expensive & perhaps less quality nitelife than Patts.

can anyone suggest other suitable destinations?

priorities:

1. inexpensive (like Patts. was payin B6500/month for v good fan room on soi buhkow)

2. relatively easy for a non-thai speaker to navigate

3. solid nite-life

4. picturesque - great beaches, palm trees, yada yada

cheers

There is a contradicdition between

- the upper list point 2 ....wanting "more relaxed"

- the lower list point 3 ...soiid night life

I am living in this country since 25 years and I am afraid you can't have both at the same time

A night life like Pattaya? LOL

Well, ok, but that REALLY limits your options (thankfully). So Patong on Phuket is the only 'other' night life like Pattaya (again thankfully) that I know of. Personally, I consider both to be cesspools of corruption.

Places like Hua Hin or Cha-Am are quiet and relaxed for a reason.

hau hin would be boring after 2 nights

Try Phuket as there is plenty to do outside the bars

1. inexpensive (like Patts. was payin B6500/month for v good fan room on soi buhkow)

2. relatively easy for a non-thai speaker to navigate

3. solid nite-life

4. picturesque - great beaches, palm trees, yada yada

Phuket fits for all the above ( wiht fan rooms from 4,000/month)

• Like 1

Far better than Patts aesthetically, Patong fits all your requirements. If you were going to live here I would suggest the Phuket beaches,Kata, Karon, Kamala. They have some night life and you can always hit Patong from them. Patong is probably the best choice for a visitor. Easy to find a place in the thick of the action, if that's your thing.

What about Samui? I haven't been for years, but use to have a bit of nightlife. Agree with Phuket, seems to fit the bill for you.

Hua Hin may be boring to some, but if you've never been, I'd do a visit. Not much nightlife, but a bit.

If you drop the nightlife requirement you'll have a whole bunch of great options.

Craigt, when have you been to Hua Hin for the last time? There is plenty of nightlife, at least 5 beer bar filled sois, and on my last visit (june 27) action was also going on till late. Should be enough to keep the OP busy for a night or 2!

Craigt, when have you been to Hua Hin for the last time? There is plenty of nightlife, at least 5 beer bar filled sois, and on my last visit (june 27) action was also going on till late. Should be enough to keep the OP busy for a night or 2!

I actually quite like Hua Hin. I haven't been for several years as we decided to buy outside Pattaya instead. But we spent a few weeks in HH looking at places and experiencing the town. Great fun.

I guess my comment was more in comparison to Pattaya. Which is packed with nightlife. I don't really visit beer bars, but do love places with live entertainment. We visited that bar in the Hilton, which was pretty good.

But yes, I've heard of those sois and might have to make a recon trip one day. whistling.gif