Why an American Won't Win the British Open

potters

This should get a few of you at it.

The main reason in my eyes will be the WEATHER

We are back in Scotland for this years Open and if the weather is blowing

a gale and raining then forget it America.

However if we have a nice sunny week (unlikely) then you may lift the claret jug.

So for a bit of fun i think we should post our selections and i will give you 3 categories.

BRITISH WEATHER

Graham Mcdowell

FAIR WEATHER

Adam Scott

OUTSIDER Has to be Over 100/1

Thomas Bjorn

You can give reasons for your selections.

Odds can be checked at oddscheker dot com

Only for fun guys dont get serious.

Potters

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it looks like the weather is going to be very good seeing as the current heatwave is forecasted to last all of July, but still id go against the yanks.

My 3 againt the field are

Ian Poulter - gets fired up for the majors and whilst his form isnt great he has played solid recently when always let down by a slow start/poor frist round, if he gets off to good start he will be bang there come Sunday.

Henrik Stenson - coming back to his best and played pretty solidly all year, has played this tournament well in the past even when out of form

Danny Willet - Could go well at a huge price, has played links courses well in the past, coming back to form and i reckon wouldnt buckle under pressure if in contention. at 400/1 worth a couple of quid of anyones money

Ernest Hemingway once said “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” Personally, I'd want to add links golf to that. There is NOTHING that can mess up a mans head like links golf, and that's the actual sport; maintain a reasonable mental attitude and refrain from allowing your brain to play games with you.

For those of you who has never played links golf; you might hit the perfect shot and end up in the shit, while your opponents hit a crap shot that ends up in the middle of the fairway. What I'm trying to say is; there's nothing fair about links golf. The thing is, if you allow the course to crawl under your skin, you'll lose - but if you have the ability to accept that you'll get slapped on every other hole without doing anything wrong, then you just MIGHT have a chance.

Accept that links golf is as much chance and luck as it is skills. Luck, perseverance and mental coolness is key, preferably at the same time, and that's why players like Todd Hamilton, Ben Curtis, Justin Leonard, David Duval, Stewart Cink, Bill Rogers and Mark O'Meara, all won the Open (all Americans). The only player who's ever won the Open without luck was Seve. He won by wearing the course down rather than being worn down. And then there is of course Tom Watson, that man is just pure class, nothing lucky about that man...

British Weather

Brandt Snedeker

Fair Weather

Tiger Woods

Outsider

Marcel Siem

This'll be good...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Forethat

Forethat,

I agree links golf can be a total lottery.

You can as you say hit a good shot and end up in the shit.

Heatwave in Scotland i see posted above,well lets see how long that lasts.

Trusting a British weather forcaster is not something i would be counting on.

Keep the selections coming lets see who will be the top tipster.

Scottish Open this week might give you some pointers as to players current form.

Potters

Rickie Fowler,Charl Swaltzel and Martin Kaymer. What I like about Fowler is that he's not one of these 'fair weather Americans' who thinks that it's not worth the effort to come over to play links golf.

Not original i,m afraid,but before the Scottish Open at Castle Stuart started i was informed by one of my fellow caddies (who is on the tour) that Phil Mickleson would be the man to follow. He was the one who told me Billy Horscel in the US and he finished top 5. I myself like Els Garcia and Bjorn,hardly original but all have good records in the Open.

Looks like another missed cut coming up for young Rory already. Does not look at all confident. Mickleson looking good.

And this you say after 4-5 holes played...? Lot of golf to be played before friday evening...

Looks like another missed cut coming up for young Rory already. Does not look at all confident. Mickleson looking good.

And this you say after 4-5 holes played...? Lot of golf to be played before friday evening...

Yes, he looks really out of it at the moment. I like him so I sincerely hope he pulls it round but if I was a betting man I would gamble that he does not make the weekend.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gbet_open.jpgThe start looks promising... I do have a couple of other bets as well, but every now and then I manage to avoid a total loss.

Sorry mate but,being an ex gambler,it's the kiss of death when you start showing all and sundry how well you're bets doing in running. It's like there's a hidden eye in the sky looking down and saying "So you think you've cracked it do you,well have some of this!" and,before you know it,you're in the khasi. I hope,for your sake,I'm badly wrong and you pick up.

attachicon.gifbet_open.jpgThe start looks promising... I do have a couple of other bets as well, but every now and then I manage to avoid a total loss.

Sorry mate but,being an ex gambler,it's the kiss of death when you start showing all and sundry how well you're bets doing in running. It's like there's a hidden eye in the sky looking down and saying "So you think you've cracked it do you,well have some of this!" and,before you know it,you're in the khasi. I hope,for your sake,I'm badly wrong and you pick up.

"I do have a couple of other bets as well"...

I'll post the lot here on sunday afternoon.

rolleyes.gif

Opening round 79.

I certainly am pleased to have stumbled upon this thread, since the Open Championship is my favorite tournament, and I was not even aware that it was being contested this weekend.

I have unfortunately missed the entire first round, but I'm looking forward to being able to follow the remaining play through to Sunday's final!

There's just one thing: when I Googled around to find the results of yesterday's play, I was sent to a "leaderboard" page that displays a little flag icon next to the contestants' names. I see a couple of Spanish flags, an Italian flag, an Indian (?) flag, and an Argentine flag, but otherwise...... it's the Stars & Stripes forever.

I'm assuming that since this IS the British championship (and is being contested on British soil....) that there must be at least a few British citizens entered?

Can anybody supply me with a link to the "back pages" of the leaderboard, so that I can confirm that assumption?laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Thanks in advance!

Checking some stats this morning.

Henrik Stenson hit 11 of the 14 fairways yesterday and 15 of the 18 greens.

That's just incredible considering the afternoon course conditions! With 80% fairways and 84% greens, if he was a wee bit hotter with the putter...watch out!

And Jordan Spieth... 85% of the greens. And he was out late just as Stenson. And remember these are the same greens where Rory managed to putt off the green into a bunker... Watch out for Jordan!

And Tiger Woods... There's no official stat covering Strokes Gained, but if there was Tiger would be up there. He drained so many long putts yesterday it was crazy... Watch out for Tiger!

And Ken Duke... 44 years old. 85% of the fairways and 83% of the greens, but this was with an early tee time when the greens were still moist and held the ball a little bit better. Can't see him on contention though, I don't expect him or any of the Mark O'Meara's, Todd Hamilton's or Tom Lehmans' to shoot a second more low round.

And Francesco Molinari... 89% of the greens and 93% of the fairways...!! That's just incredible. Talk about flying under the radar... Watch out for this man if his putter begins to deliver!!

Edited by Forethat

a few years back i started a thread " Lee Westwood for a major " which is now archived.

i happened to believe the guy had what it takes and had put the hard graft in to better his game.

there were of course the usual amount of scoffers and knockers that had their say and dismissed my claim.

a few close calls and finishes down the line, Lee now stands one round away from reaching that ultimate prize. he may win and then again he may not, but by god he's got guts !

but by god he's got guts !

Actually, a majority of his critics claim his lack of said guts is exactly what is preventing him from winning.

Myself, I have a specific reason for keeping my fingers crossed...

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Forethat

Actually, a majority of his critics claim his lack of said guts is exactly what is preventing him from winning.

thumbsup.gif

yes, i would in most circumstances hope that the 9/1 each way at a quarter of the odds first 6 places bet i put on Woods at the start of the tournament would have a fairly decent chance of paying a very nice dividend. but i'd be glad to see part of that go down the pan a long with the little shits petulance and smirking smile, in order to see Lee who is an Englishmen lift the claret jug.

don't tell me you have a wager on to ? tongue.png

Edited by tigerfish

thumbsup.gif

don't tell me you have a wager on to ? tongue.png

Without jinxing anyone, yes...

Poulter has probably just won it.

Ehhh...say what? My guess is -2 will win it, that's 3 shots ahead of Poulter.

Anybody that finishes on -2 will deserve it but Poulter is in with a very good shout at +1

Poulter has probably just won it.

Ehhh...say what? My guess is -2 will win it, that's 3 shots ahead of Poulter.

Anybody that finishes on -2 will deserve it but Poulter is in with a very good shout at +1

He's not even close.